Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Former Wake BB Player Tony Woods

Last edited by JBDuke; 09-13-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: fix link

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dukejim1 View Post
    http://www.wxii12.com/sports/24957967/detail.html

http://www.wxii12.com/sports/24957967/detail.html[/URL]
    Hard to add anything to that. Very sad. Not for him, but for the woman and child involved.
    Vibes to her and the kid. Jebus..he broke her back.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wake's Tony Woods arrested for assault

Didn't see this linked anywhere, but heard about it on the radio on the way into work this morning.

Not good for anyone involved or the Wake basketball program. Let's first hope that this girl is OK, but a fractured spine is pretty awful. Let's next hope that Woods' son didn't witness this. Then let's hope that this doesn't destroy Woods' life, but you have to think his career at Wake (and possibly elsewhere) is in big trouble.

EDIT: (Scroll down before posting, Mullet.)
    WWJDD?

To talk about this purely from a basketball standpoint-- this is a major blow for Wake. Woods, CJ Harris, and Ari Stewart were the only Deacs with real experience coming back. Many thought this would be the year Woods really exploded as a player and lived up to his tremendous potential as an athletic (almost) 7-footer. I figured his shot-blocking would be a significant part of Wake's defensive identity.

Wake seems to have plenty of talent on the wing, but will be a big starved at what many consider the two most important positions on the floor -- PG and C. Wake brings in a deep and talented freshman class, but this really pushes 6-10 freshman Carson Desrosiers into the spotlight. Desrosiers is very thin and his offensive game is a face-the-basket kinda game where he shoots mid-range jumpers. He is not a mix-it-up on the inside kinda player and Wake really needed someone like that.

Woods would have been on the floor at much as fouls would allow this coming season. Now, one has to wonder if he will ever wear a Wake uniform again. This is about as big a blow as Wake could have gotten.

--Jason "caveat, we obviously need to wait and see what the legal system brings to the table-- as Mike Nifong taught us" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Recruiting really needs to consider character first. If the story is true as reported (which would be rare!), then the player is probably toast. Who recruited the kid -- Gaudio?

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Recruiting really needs to consider character first. If the story is true as reported (which would be rare!), then the player is probably toast. Who recruited the kid -- Gaudio?
    Prosser, and Woods decided to attend WF even after Prosser's death. Woods was seen as a project with enormous potential.

Shame...real shame...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ...one has to wonder if he will ever wear a Wake uniform again...
    I dunno...fracturing someone's back would sure steam me if I was a Wake student, male or female. I'd be thoroughly ashamed and revolted by the idea of a...ok, "suspected" abuser representing my university.
    This guy sounds unhinged.

Recruiting really needs to consider character first.
    Not sure I want to start throwing stones in that glass house. We have been fortunate to have a great number of outstanding student-athlete citizens, but we are not without blemish. Who knows what this kid (allegedly) did in a possible fit of passion, and I don't think that would reflect on the coaches in any way.

(And, before someone says it, I don't think an argument of "yeah, but our kids' transgressions didn't result in this kind of injury" is a very satisfying retort. The issue is whether a player's off-court personal actions were foreseeable by the coaches when recruiting or not. If this guy flipped out, and in a fit of passion did something awful, that's on his head -- not the coach's).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not sure I want to start throwing stones in that glass house. We have been fortunate to have a great number of outstanding student-athlete citizens, but we are not without blemish. Who knows what this kid (allegedly) did in a possible fit of passion, and I don't think that would reflect on the coaches in any way.

(And, before someone says it, I don't think an argument of "yeah, but our kids' transgressions didn't result in this kind of injury" is a very satisfying retort. The issue is whether a player's off-court personal actions were foreseeable by the coaches when recruiting or not. If this guy flipped out, and in a fit of passion did something awful, that's on his head -- not the coach's).
    Does anyone remenber Robin Bodkin and the incident on Campus Drive in the 60's?

I agree, and wasn't so much thinking of this guy, about whom I know nothing beyond the article, but about recruiting in general. There have been outstanding talents who gave every indication of being a real jerk who were snatched up by other coaches.

There have been outstanding talents who gave every indication of being a real jerk who were snatched up by other coaches.
    We are in accord.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I know of one possibility. Please refresh my memory.

From Wake Forest press release earlier today.

"Wake Forest junior center Tony Woods has been suspended indefinitely from the men’s basketball team, according to head coach Jeff Bzdelik.

“We are suspending Tony Woods indefinitely in order to allow him to devote his time and effort to address the allegations that he is facing,” said Bzdelik. “It is also important that Tony have the necessary time to maintain his good academic standing.” "

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That was a little before my time, but I've heard stories. Something about a huge fight with (more than one) "townie". I know Robin was a football player.

What happened and what is the association to the allegations involving Tony Woods?

Who knows what this kid (allegedly) did in a possible fit of passion, and I don't think that would reflect on the coaches in any way.
    Agreed. From a personal standpoint, I don't think anything could ever happen at work that would tick me off (in front of co-workers) as much as I can get ticked off at home on a regular basis (in front of family members). My temperament is entirely based on environment.

Similarly, coaches see recruits at their best, in games and in carefully planned home visits. Assuming the recruit has no documented history of domestic issues, a coach has no way to predict something like this, and the blame rests on the player's shoulders alone. All the coach can do is deliver some disciplinary measure (in this case, an indefinite suspension) and make himself available for personal support.

Won't be seeing Tony Woods this year.

Suspended for a semester by the university honor court, which will make him ineligible to play this season.

I am surprised that no one has brought up the egregious undercut foul that Woods gave to Singler last year. I thought it was malicious and ironically it could have caused Singler serious back injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Won't be seeing Tony Woods this year.

Suspended for a semester by the university honor court, which will make him ineligible to play this season.
    In addition to the Honor Court decision regarding Woods' immediate future at Wake Forest, Coach Bzdelik has suspended him indefinitely from the team. To return at all, Woods must re-apply for admission to Wake. It's not at all clear that he'd be welcomed back to the team.

Woods has asked for a release from Wake and the university has gladly obliged.

Link.

Tony Woods receives release from Wake Roster

After he pleaded guiilty to assault charges, junior center Tony Woods has been released from Wake's basketball program.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...om-wake-foresthttp://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...om-wake-forest