New ESPNU 100 2011 Rankings

The new espnu 100 for the class of 2011 is out with a new display that I really like.

Some notables:

1. Austin Rivers
    4. Quincy Miller
    8. Myck Kabongo
    24. Michael Gbinije
    35. Quinn Cook
    43. Marshall Plumlee
    *unranked. Tyler Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    The new espnu 100 for the class of 2011 is out with a new display that I really like.

Some notables:

1. Austin Rivers
    4. Quincy Miller
    8. Myck Kabongo
    24. Michael Gbinije
    35. Quinn Cook
    43. Marshall Plumlee
    *unranked. Tyler Adams
    Forgive me, but where does it say that these are updated rankings? Oh, and Gbinije is 25 (not 24)

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Forgive me, but where does it say that these are updated rankings? Oh, and Gbinije is 25 (not 24)
    He is actually the 24th player listed on the page, but is ranked 25. DeAndre Daniels is "#23" but he is officially ineligible for the ESPNU100 because he is a post-grad student. They did however, leave an empty spot for him as to not artificially inflate others' rankings by 1 spot each. Technically the ESPNU100 is the ESPNU99.

Edit: forgot to mention that they are definitely updated because of obvious changes even though there is no date. For example, Rivers was not #1 before today.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    He is actually the 24th player listed on the page, but is ranked 25. DeAndre Daniels is "#23" but he is officially ineligible for the ESPNU100 because he is a post-grad student. They did however, leave an empty spot for him as to not artificially inflate others' rankings by 1 spot each. Technically the ESPNU100 is the ESPNU99.

Edit: forgot to mention that they are definitely updated because of obvious changes even though there is no date. For example, Rivers was not #1 before today.
    okay, well if that's the case, then to be consistent Cook should be 34 and Plumlee should be 42.

okay, well if that's the case, then to be consistent Cook should be 34 and Plumlee should be 42.
    It's actually appropriate to use the number listed next to the name. The way ESPN intended it is that Cook is 35 and Plumlee 43. It is just a semantic thing that Daniels isn't in the "official" ESPNU 100. The whole post grad thing is an issue that most services have started to ignore in the last year or two, and just started listing everyone. I don't know why ESPN won't just put him in like everyone else, but they are tacitly acknowledging where Daniels belongs.

That's great and all, but I'm sure these rankings will change once the season has started or after. So in other words, lets not get excited.

It really isn't that big of a deal. When I first looked at it, Gbinije was 24th, now, it has changed for some reason. Don't know why it's such a huge deal in your eyes.

It really isn't that big of a deal. When I first looked at it, Gbinije was 24th, now, it has changed for some reason. Don't know why it's such a huge deal in your eyes.
    Actually, I'm looking at it more and more, and I believe that we are watching them update this stuff right now. I just looked at Paul Jesperson, the UVA commit who is on the border of the top 100. He is not listed in the new top 100, but on his player page, he still has the ESPNU100 icon next to his name. I think we need to give ESPN a few hours to finish their updates before we go seriously digging in.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Actually, I'm looking at it more and more, and I believe that we are watching them update this stuff right now. I just looked at Paul Jesperson, the UVA commit who is on the border of the top 100. He is not listed in the new top 100, but on his player page, he still has the ESPNU100 icon next to his name. I think we need to give ESPN a few hours to finish their updates before we go seriously digging in.
    Ha, well that explains a lot. Good observation.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    That's great and all, but I'm sure these rankings will change once the season has started or after. So in other words, lets not get excited.
    Who was getting excited? Quite frankly, I'm a little miffed that ESPN didn't include Tyler Adams.

Who was getting excited? Quite frankly, I'm a little miffed that ESPN didn't include Tyler Adams.
    He made their "Just missed the ESPNU 100" list along with the following blurb: "The future Blue Devil is a space eater in the paint. He is good at rebounding his position, setting screens and finishing drop-off passes above the rim. Adams also is a very team-orientated player."

ESPN:Recruiting Rankings :: McDonald's:Steak

FWIW, Gbinije is back at 24. Also, ESPN's player evaluations are now available to non-insiders also. I don't think that was the case before (at least, not the whole evaluation.) They have good write-ups on Gbinije, Rivers, Plum3, Tyler, Quinn, and Quincy.

FWIW, Gbinije is back at 24. Also, ESPN's player evaluations are now available to non-insiders also. I don't think that was the case before (at least, not the whole evaluation.) They have good write-ups on Gbinije, Rivers, Plum3, Tyler, Quinn, and Quincy.
    This is really the result of ESPN losing their minds and cutting off DeAndre Daniels for being a 5th year player. They had no problem with him being in the ESPNU100 pre summer in the class of 2011, so why is he suddenly ineligible. It's not like they didn't know he would be a fifth year player in 2011 two months ago. It's kind of ridiculous anyway since they will all be freshman in a year and have 4 years of eligibility, so why separate them. They still have their rankings with him included at 23 still available, sort of. If you do a blank player search on the home page, it brings up the 2011 recruits in the exact same order, but with Daniels slotted in there.

This has very little impact on anyone other than Daniels, but I like to look at consensus data rather than any individual data to smooth out individual biases, but not having 5th year 5 star type players in at all can have a big effect. For example, in the post summer RSCI rankings for the class of 2009 John Wall was ranked 13th, one spot behind Ryan Kelly, because a single source, HoopScoop, did not count 5th year players. ESPN had no problem letting John Wall be in the ESPNU100 by the way. Based on the rest of the rankings, he clearly should have been second behind Derrick Favors. Now I love Ryan Kelly as much as the next guy, but there is no way that he ever should have been considered a higher rated recruit than John Wall. The RSCI agreed and dropped HoopScoop as a source and has not used them since.

Again this has no significant bearing on the Duke guys, but it just frustrates me to no end that they would randomly start excluding 5th year players now.

BTW, here's the final situation with Adams, if you look at his player page, he is listed as overall #102 (actually 103 if you count Daniels). The seven other guys who share his star rating and grade are listed with this as well, then the guys 1 grade below are tied for 110. Once they drop below four stars, they don't list a rank.