Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy No EA Sports NCAA College Basketball this year?!?!

Ok so call me a nerd but every year I look forward to playing EA Sports NCAA College Basketball during the season on whatever system xbox, ps3, etc. So I found out today that they will not be making a game this year. Even worst EA Sports competitor 2K will not be making a college game either. I don't know about all of you but I am VERY upset!!!

It sucks that this has to happen the year after we won the NCAA championship and we have numerous great recruits and newcomers to our team. Kinda just ruined a tradition for me. Anyways, I was just wondering if this upset anyone else as much as it did me? Anyone know the reason for this? Sigh....

I in no way mean to come off as a jerk, but this is pretty old news. Like you though, it really disappoints me that there won't be a college basketball game this year. After 2k8, 2k couldn't afford to pay for the license so they stopped making a college hoops game. I assume the reason EA isn't making a game anymore is because they neglected their college hoops series, continuously put out very flawed games, and didn't make nearly enough money to justify keeping the series going. Hopefully 2k will jump back in here in the near future and make a game again, because 2k8 was one of the best basketball games of all time.

Man... amazingly, I hadn't put two and two together and realized that we would miss our title game!

Damn. That sucks.

I still play 2k7 religiously.

ya it would be awesome to play with with kyrie, nolan, kyle, seth, etc... This would be a great duke team to play with on a video game too, since they will be so uptempo, talented, and deep in real life.
    To let you all know how big of a nerd I am, I loved the 2k series and owned every version of the game on ps2 and then ps3. I really wish they would start up this franchise again.

I still think that College Hoops 2k8 is the greatest basketball game ever made. I think the combination of poor sales and the potential flood of lawsuits coming into EA for using player's likenesses proved to be the downfall. They'll probably keep running with the NCAA football game as it's still a big money maker but it's not worth it for the basketball games anymore. For what it's worth, I generally think the EA versions of college basketball have been garbage.

EA Change the title to the College Hoops Game

bubbbabubbabbbbawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Quote Originally Posted by strawbs View Post
    I in no way mean to come off as a jerk, but this is pretty old news. Like you though, it really disappoints me that there won't be a college basketball game this year. After 2k8, 2k couldn't afford to pay for the license so they stopped making a college hoops game. I assume the reason EA isn't making a game anymore is because they neglected their college hoops series, continuously put out very flawed games, and didn't make nearly enough money to justify keeping the series going. Hopefully 2k will jump back in here in the near future and make a game again, because 2k8 was one of the best basketball games of all time.
    College video games just don't sell enough to justify the huge cost of the licensing agreement
    1200. DDMF.

Yea I def understand the reasons given for not continuing to produce the game but it just is disappointing. My thing is..don't they make enough money between madden and the college fball games. I mean to me the sales can't be that different from those of the college football game. Ohh well I just think the whole thing is stupid.

I don't think they could program how alarmingly unathletic we were.

What if you built a game, and Duke always lost to Baylor?

Plus, Zoub's beard cannot be pixilated. It's like a law of nature or something.

(In all seriousness, it is too bad that the franchise is being discontinued for the time being -- hope they revive it for our NC in 2011. Kyrie no-look to Kyle in the post, lay off to Nolan swooping down the lane -- that would be groovy).

I don't quite understand this either and I think it is definitely a legal issue somewhere. 2k had already abandoned its college basketball series, so one would think EA would love to jump on that and pick up at least a percentage of those sales since it would be the only game in the market. Instead, it closes its NCAA March Madness series only a year later. I understand its a slow economy so consumers are cutting back, but that doesn't stop EA from spitting out some crap Shaun White Snowboarding game what seems like every 6 months.

Not sure if it relates, but EA is being sued in a class-action lawsuit brought up by scorned gamers who say they were forced into buying Madden NFL games after 2005 because EA signed exclusive rights with the NFL. This left 2k sports(which was kicking EA's but with its $19.99 NFL game) out in the cold with "no other reputable football league" to make a competitive game. (EA also signed rights with Arena Football and NCAA football the same year).

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3226.html

I could see EA being a little cautious of another lawsuit in the NCAA basketball series if it had signed exclusive rights to NCAA basketball like it did with football, but it didn't. 2k closed it's own doors on its NCAA basketball series.

Very strange indeed.

Yea the whole thing is annoying...all probably boils down to $$$. It sucks because you can't even enjoy playing a good ole' video game now a days without the "business" side of things getting in the way. I'm sure it'll get resolved in the future one way or another but it's just such bad timing for Duke fans...so I was a little frustrated. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    College video games just don't sell enough to justify the huge cost of the licensing agreement
    College basketball you mean. The NCAA football games still make bank every year and always top the July NPD sales charts. This year's is very good and they finally added the Duke bluedevil as a playable mascot (he looks like a mix between the old and new mascots). Des Scott is a beast in the game BTW.

As far as 2K8 goes, you can always download current rosters and have accurate teams. It only stinks when your team has players with last names that aren't in, like Plumlee, for example.

ya it would be awesome to play with with kyrie, nolan, kyle, seth, etc... This would be a great duke team to play with on a video game too, since they will be so uptempo, talented, and deep in real life.
    To let you all know how big of a nerd I am, I loved the 2k series and owned every version of the game on ps2 and then ps3. I really wish they would start up this franchise again.
    You can easily do this; just make the team each year.

I've got this years Carolina team (Barnes KILLS me every time) and Duke team all done... I could actually use some help with NC State and Maryland, I don't know their rosters to save my life!

If anyone wants to do a quick chime-in on their main rosters, that would actually be REALLY appreciate... you know, something like...

Kyle Singer, SF, 6'8, good shooter and rebounder, not a huge post defender. Maybe 90 overall.

That sort of thing?

i have 2k8 as well cause i heard so many good things about it. well ive been playing it some what and dont understand it. EAs college games were simple to understand. like y do i have to play a game first once i put the game in? i know i could just exit but its inconvienent. and the whole college season on there takes forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    i have 2k8 as well cause i heard so many good things about it. well ive been playing it some what and dont understand it. EAs college games were simple to understand. like y do i have to play a game first once i put the game in? i know i could just exit but its inconvienent. and the whole college season on there takes forever.
    Try doing 15 seasons, without a single sim in the bunch. Now THAT takes a while.

Or four years, to be more precise.

Go Shane State Defenders!

To ask a follow up from what was mentioned earlier--when does the EA/Madden contract end? 2K5 was by far the most fun I had playing a football game since Tecmo but, obviously, much more realistic. Is there hope that when the exclusivity contract with the NFL ends that 2K could put out another NFL game? As far as the NCAA hoops line, 2K7 with JJ on the cover was the only one I had gotten (on PS2 before I picked up a PS3) and it still plays well for me (particularly with our classic teams--if only it could've had more teams in that path, including more classic Duke teams, of course).

also have another question. y is it 2k u cant edit teams? like the players on them and their attributes? or am i missing somthing

You can; go to manage rosters or something like that.

You'll still be able to do this. All you'll need is a roster update. There's a few guys who post at operationsports.com that creates rosters every year all with the player's correct names, attributes, etc. Last season's rosters are there now. This coming season will be no different

Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post
    I still think that College Hoops 2k8 is the greatest basketball game ever made. I think the combination of poor sales and the potential flood of lawsuits coming into EA for using player's likenesses proved to be the downfall. They'll probably keep running with the NCAA football game as it's still a big money maker but it's not worth it for the basketball games anymore. For what it's worth, I generally think the EA versions of college basketball have been garbage.
    I agree 100%. After the 2k series was canceled, I stuck with 2K8 and ignored the crap EA churned out, and I'm still more bummed about the lack of a 2k9 than I am about EA's somewhat recent cancellation. Sadly to say, I, like you, do not see either franchise returning too soon.