Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's Official

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_...26994-800.html

Wonder if they can match their streak of selling out one non-conference home game like last year without Billy D.

Effect on JJ

Maybe I am grasping here, but I see this hire as very good for JJ. Remember, Billy has had Lee Humphrey on his team for the last 4 years - he understands (I would assume) the benefit of an excellent spot up shooter to loosen the things inside (at UF - for Horford; at Orlando - for Dwight Howard).

Maybe its a stretch, and I know the NBA game is completely different from the College one, but it seems the same principles apply.

Talking ma6th st9ill s2ucks

correction: 5.5 per annum

Ultimately it probably is good for JJ. He'll likely get a lot more playing time with Donovan at the helm.

Were the Magic really that appealing? IMO they'll need to sign some big free agents in order to make noise in the playoffs.

I hope the Magic can sign Billups, and maybe find some help in the post for Dwight Howard.

Can someone give me the Cliffs Notes on how Florida fans feel? Do they even care that much?

I don't see how this hurts JJ. Donovan likes to use his bench and likes guys who can shoot.

Did Patterson Know

Just out of curiosity, what are the odds Billy D gave Patterson a heads up that this would be coming. It was general consensus PP was a UF lean before Lucas committed, and even more so afterward. Is it possible Billy D did the honorable thing, and knowing how much time PP had put into his decision and how much his future coach mattered to him, came clean so as not to leave the kid in a lurch?

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are the odds Billy D gave Patterson a heads up that this would be coming. It was general consensus PP was a UF lean before Lucas committed, and even more so afterward. Is it possible Billy D did the honorable thing, and knowing how much time PP had put into his decision and how much his future coach mattered to him, came clean so as not to leave the kid in a lurch?
    I seriously doubt it.

If Patterson goes to Florida does Donovan still go to the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    If Patterson goes to Florida does Donovan still go to the NBA?
    Prolly. [Napoleon Dynamite voice]What would YOU do in a situation like that? GOSH![/Napoleon Dynamite voice]

JJ Redick Blogs about the coaching change

JJ just blogged about the coaching change in Orlando on his website. www.redicklive.com Looks like he'll finally get the time he deserves out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by unctarheelhater View Post
    JJ just blogged about the coaching change in Orlando on his website. www.redicklive.com Looks like he'll finally get the time he deserves out there now.
    what are you, JJ's agent's secretary or something?

You da man

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Maybe I am grasping here, but I see this hire as very good for JJ. Remember, Billy has had Lee Humphrey on his team for the last 4 years - he understands (I would assume) the benefit of an excellent spot up shooter to loosen the things inside (at UF - for Horford; at Orlando - for Dwight Howard).

Maybe its a stretch, and I know the NBA game is completely different from the College one, but it seems the same principles apply.
    Exactly my thinking. Look for JJ to shine, or at least get a real shot, which he oh so didn't under Hill. The analogy to Humphry, in my opinion, fits perfectly. Could be the resason for the move altogether. Certainly, Hill's failure to use JJ properly (even when he was in the other guys weren't getting him the looks he should get and had worked for) was reason enough to dump him. An outside shooter like him to free Howard and dare I say it Darko to work inside, Please. Hill had to go. And, Billy has proven he knows how to get the most out of an ace long shooter like JJ/Humphry. Good call, imo.

I don't know where Orlando picks, but look for a rangey athletic three to take Hill's place. I don't know a lot of names, Washington from VT would get people out of their seats. Can defend too, and give Nelson someone to run with. Fearless also, and we do remember him jumping the hell over Paulus, right.

I'd pay to watch them (actually, I'm getting carried away here, I'd never pay to see the pros, as in never).
    Last edited by greybeard; 06-02-2007 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    ... and give Nelson someone to run with.
    You mention "run with". I started having visions of JJ running downcourt on a fast break, only to stop at the 3 point line to wait for the pass from the breakaway player. I hope we see that kind of stuff next year

I don't know where Orlando picks, but look for a rangey athletic three to take Hill's place. I don't know a lot of names, Washington from VT would get people out of their seats. Can defend too, and give Nelson someone to run with. Fearless also, and we do remember him jumping the hell over Paulus, right.
    Orlando gave up their first rounder this year to Detroit in the Darko deal. It is pick #15 and will likely turn out to be a decent player considering the depth of this year's draft.

The Magic do not pick until the middle of the 2nd round. Among the guys they could be looking at with pick #39 are Rey Terry and Jared Dudley. Personally, I think Dudley could be a bit of a steal in the mid-2nd round. He can make an NBA roster and help a bit. He's a gamer.

-Jason "Donovan's PG, Taurean Green will also likely be avail in the mid-2nd round" Evans

I don't know where Orlando picks, but look for a rangey athletic three to take Hill's place.
    Trevor Ariza is that athletic three you're looking for. He's an exciting leaper that should see even more time if Grant Hill doesn't return. They refused to let him be part of any trade talks even when bringing in a free agent before the deadline could have made a big difference in how the season finished.

Orlando has three picks in the second round (39, 44, and 54) and need to use them to find more size at the four and five. Right now they have Howard and Battie (who knows how much Tony has left in the tank). They still have to resign Darko. Even if they resign Darko, that's a shallow frontcourt. I'd like to see them get Glen "Big Baby" Davis with one of those second round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Among the guys they could be looking at with pick #39 are Rey Terry and Jared Dudley
    The last thing the Orlando needs is a Heel in a Magic uniform. This includes not signing Vince Carter as a free agent. They have done an outstanding job of building a team with players of quality characters (iow no Heels).

Donovan = Cremins??

Looks like someone might be having second thoughts and is realizing that College > Not Basketball Association...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ap/index.html

More to come...

Not so fast, my friend...

Andy Katz says that Donovan wants to go back to Florida, but the Magic may not make it easy.

Indecision- Fishy Donavan

What is it with all these "changed my mind" coaches?!!! Creighton, Winthrop, now Donovan??? I'm sorry, but if I were Florida, I'd say "sorry, you can't have it back." (Obviously, I see the wisdom in having Donovan as the head coach, but...) You have to wonder about the judgement and decisiveness of someone who agrees to one thing, holds a press conference, and then says "well, I'm not sure." No dice! I don't feel sorry for these "tormented" coaches. People make important life decisions everyday, and they don't have the option to go back on them.
    If I were a UF fan, player, or Orlando fan, player I would now see Donovan as a wishy-washy-not-sure-what-he-wants-guy-with-spikey-hair.
    Of course, if he keeps winning championships I'm sure anyone will put up with a little wishy-washiness.

I can promise you I won't have any second thoughts