Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Donovan to Magic...NOT

I'm an orlando native, and not to go all watzone on you, but my sources tell me this is a done deal. I'm pretty excited about this...I think it will only help in terms of recruiting and maintaining our status as the dominant college program.

Ewww, gross. JJ Redick coached by Greasy Billy?

I hope he goes. It will make me less uncomfortable about cheering for the Gators when I start grad school there in the fall.

His incoming recruits must be so excited. This is what is bad about college sports. They should be free to go elsewhere. What's more important to an 18 year old's decision where they want to play and, in essence, train for a potential professional career than a head coach?

Why leave

Take this to the bank,

That VCU coach will be their next head coach, inside a week. He is a rising genius who recruited most of the 04's, plus he has giant killer in his resume. After a bang up year he did not even sniff at any other openings. I think he knew what job he would get, be it sooner or later. Wish granted.

Unless the FL AD is retarded enough to hand a major program to Larry Shyiatt (sp?).

Patrick Yates

See, he is a slimeball.

Somewhere, Patrick Patterson is smiling.

Does anyone doubt that Donovan lied out his @!#^@&^ when trying to convince Patterson (and others) to come to Florida?

"Trust me, Patrick. I'll tell you exactly what I told your good buddy Jai Lucas. No way am I leaving Florida. Not gonna happen. I am 100% here next year. The only reason I have not signed the extension yet is some minor legal holdups. Don't worry about it."

I agree that when a coach leaves, all recruits should be free to go too. I know it runs against why the NCAA pretends kids pick a school, but the reality is that losing a head coach is a huge deal to recruits.

And, maybe, if recruits were set free we'd see fewer coaches changing jobs because the potential impact on their old school would be so potentially severe.

-Jason "in fairness, Donovan has not accepted the offer... yet" Evans

Semantics?

If he takes the Magic job, he could tell the incoming Gator class that he didn't lie - He will still be in Florida - just a different city and town.

I agree with all statements above. The VCU coach is someone I'd actually prefer to see coach Duke when K is done (is that blasphemy to just find Dawkins dull?). Every single one of those kids should be given the opportunity to go elsewhere. It's simply naive to think kids pick schools more so than they pick coaches.

What I've heard from a Gator friend is that Donovan is just using this whole Orlando thing to get money from Florida. Whether that's true or not, I guess we'll find out soon enough. Either way, it doesn't help his reputation for skeeziness.

Potential recruits?

I wonder if Adam Allen, Jai Lucas, Nick Calathes, Chandler Parsons or Alex Tyus will ask out of their LOIs if this actually happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Wiggum View Post
    What I've heard from a Gator friend is that Donovan is just using this whole Orlando thing to get money from Florida. Whether that's true or not, I guess we'll find out soon enough. Either way, it doesn't help his reputation for skeeziness.
    Nope, this is not a negotiating ploy. He is taking the job.

He pretty much could name his price at Florida. If he stayed, he would be, far and away, the highest paid coach in college ball. There is no need to say, "but Orlando is offering me a million more..." because Florida is already willing to pay him as much as they possibly can.

-Jason "he's gone, trust me on this one" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Wiggum View Post
    What I've heard from a Gator friend is that Donovan is just using this whole Orlando thing to get money from Florida.
    This sounds like wishful thinking.

As Gizmo said at the end of Gremlins, "bye Billy".

Personally, I wish he'd stayed if only for the fact that the Gators were becoming the new team to hate-deflecting some of the venom from Duke.

I'd like to say he'll be back like Pitino and Calipari, but something tells me he may actually succeed at the NBA level.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    This sounds like wishful thinking.
    Apparently it was.

Question BILLY Accepts!!

Well, Billy D has shown his true colors and accepted an offer from the Magic.

Gee....did ANYONE think differently if the offer was right?????

My prediction is he will go down in flames, but who knows.

He's out

5 years for 5.25, so long.

Well, we all agree that the new kids should be released from their commitments. If they are, and there is no guarantee that they will be, are there any we should go after?

Have their recruits signed LOIs? If they have not, then they will be free to go elsewhere.

Also, while Donovan has left the Gator program stronger than he found it, his replacement will have a hard act to follow. Donovan himself had a hard act to follow.