Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fantasy Football Q&A

Don't know if there is a FF thread allready but thought I should start one.

I got a question for everyone...

Who do you take 3rd overall? Obviously Chris Johnson and AP are 1-2. Who comes next?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    Don't know if there is a FF thread allready but thought I should start one.

I got a question for everyone...

Who do you take 3rd overall? Obviously Chris Johnson and AP are 1-2. Who comes next?
    I had the third pick in my league draft a couple days ago and I went with MJD. I suppose Ray Rice could also be a candidate for this or maybe Michael Turner. I don't think you take Aaron Rogers with a pick that high when the RB ranks fall off so steeply after the first 5.

My league uses 3 WRs, so they are at a real premium. Coming back around I picked up Calvin Johnson. Moss and Andre Johnson were already off the table. Anyone think I made a bad pick? I am not sure about it.

I got Tom Brady as my QB and CJ Spiller as a RB. I also took Simeon Rice with one of my late bench picks and figure I'll be plugging him in once he is back at mid season and it will give me a stud WR core. I hope

-Jason "12 team league - whew, are good RBs hard to find after about the 4th round" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'd go with Ray Rice, if it were my pick. He may still end up a little behind Jones-Drew in touchdowns, but should score more than he did last year and I think he could blow up this year. Baltimore's becoming more of an offense-first team, with Boldin, Rice and a mature Flacco. Schedule's favorable, too - 8 games against bottom 10 in yards/rush defenses from last year, a number of them in the second half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I also took Simeon Rice with one of my late bench picks and figure I'll be plugging him in once he is back at mid season and it will give me a stud WR core. I hope
    Dude, you took a retired DE as a WR? Good luck with that! Kidding. I actually think Sidney in the late rounds might be good value, but only if you don't run into any roster issues before Week 8 or 9. If he returns as a No. 1 guy, you've secured a terrific receiving corps for the end of the season/playoffs. And WR's are totally interchangeable after about the first 20 taken, anyway, so you got Rice instead of Derrick Mason or Mario Manningham or someone of limited day-to-day value. But good luck hanging on to Rice long enough to get anything out of it, especially when someone else is down with injury and you've got two guys on bye. That 5 or 6 points guaranteed from Santana Moss is gonna look awfully enticing. Rice went undrafted in my league, but it's only a 10-team league, so it's just a game of chicken to see who drops security earlier than everyone else to get him off waivers around Week 5 if he looks like he's actually coming back.

Edit: FWIW, in a 12-team format, to get guys typically projected as a top 5 RB, a top 5 WR and a top 5 QB is remarkable. Well done!

I think Ray Rice could be Matt Forte part 2. Just saying. I'm still a little bitter about Matt Forte last year.

Anyway, we have 2RB/2WR/1 Flex and no PPR, so RBs are much more valuable than WRs. I am loving my first team, especially the Spiller pick now. Also, got my 2 defenses back to back. Both are potentially top 5 and I hope to match them up week to week rather than troll the waiver wire.

QB - Schaub, Flacco
    RB - Peterson, R. Brown, Spiller, D. Brown, A. Dixon
    WR - C. Johnson, Crabtree, Garcon, R. Williams
    TE - Cooley
    Def - Vikings, 49ers
    K - Feeley

Thin at WR, but as mentioned, not as huge in this league. If Crabtree is as advertised, I should be fine. Westbrook got swiped within an hour of signing with San Fran. I was going to drop Dixon for him and just missed.

Hoping to package a D and a RB for a top 2 receiver after bye weeks.

My team (number who play each week):

QB (1): Brady, McNabb
    WR (3): C Johnson, Crabtree, Maclin, Moss, Lee Evans, SIDNEY Rice
    RB (2): MJD, Spiller, Reggie Bush, Cadillac Williams
    TE (1): Winslow
    Def (1): Pitt
    K (1): Gostkowski

I am going to have waive one of my lesser WRs at some point to pick up replacement TE/Def/K when those guys are on a bye but I will wait to see who is having a decent year to decide which one to waive. Heck, which WRs would you start on this team?

--Jason "I think I got too excited about Spiller..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I am going to have waive one of my lesser WRs at some point to pick up replacement TE/Def/K when those guys are on a bye but I will wait to see who is having a decent year to decide which one to waive. Heck, which WRs would you start on this team?

I'd go: Moss Johnson Maclin untill Crabtree shows you something or Rice gets healthy. Evans can be a good player but you just have to pray he catches a bomb for a TD that usually the only way he scores more that 5-6 pts.

Math?

There's also the opportunity to hedge bets. You've got Brady - if Moss has a good game, Brady had a good game, you'll get double points. Brady could still have a good game without Moss getting points, but in case there's some issue in NE, you may want to go with somebody from another team.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    There's also the opportunity to hedge bets. You've got Brady - if Moss has a good game, Brady had a good game, you'll get double points. Brady could still have a good game without Moss getting points, but in case there's some issue in NE, you may want to go with somebody from another team.
    Sorry, but the Moss here is Santana, not Randy

If I had Randy Moss along with Brady, Calvin Johnson, and MJD then I would win the league in a laugher!

--Jason "Spiller better be the real deal!" Evans

Sorry, but the Moss here is Santana, not Randy

If I had Randy Moss along with Brady, Calvin Johnson, and MJD then I would win the league in a laugher!

--Jason "Spiller better be the real deal!" Evans
    I think Moss (Santana) could have good year. McNabb has still has a cannon and Moss still has some speed. I wouldnt be shocked if he becomes McNabb's replacment for DeShawn Jackson and puts up similar numbers. I'd consider leaving him on the bench till he shows it though.

I had the third pick in my league draft a couple days ago and I went with MJD. I suppose Ray Rice could also be a candidate for this or maybe Michael Turner.

-Jason "12 team league - whew, are good RBs hard to find after about the 4th round" Evans
    I would go Ray Rice with the 3rd pick. I've seen where MJD may be a little dinged up. I do not agree with A-Tex about Rice being this year's Forte. Rice is a more explosive player and is playing on a much better offense then the Bears.

Jason I think Calvin will be a good pick for you. Detroit will be better offensively. And I know the preseason is not the greatest indicator but Stafford and Johnson seem to be clicking.
    Last edited by NashvilleDevil; 09-01-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Got the second pick again in my work league draft tomorrow night!!

Snake draft, so my line is going to be
    1. Peterson
    2. Schaub/Brady/P. Manning
    3. Calvin Johnson/best RB available
    4. If 3 is RB, best WR available, if 3 is Calvin Johnson, Arian Foster
    5. Jermichael Finley.

Hope to snag 2 top 5 defenses in rounds 10 and 11. It's not a PPR league but you get points for return yards, so a flyer on Josh Cribbs isn't a bad idea. Thoughts? Am I reaching for Schaub? I've found in mocks that after the first half of the second round, the running backs flatten out and the guys you could get after that point aren't appreciably better than the guys you can get in rounds 3-5 (Ronnie Brown types).

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Got the second pick again in my work league draft tomorrow night!!

Snake draft, so my line is going to be
    1. Peterson
    2. Schaub/Brady/P. Manning
    3. Calvin Johnson/best RB available
    4. If 3 is RB, best WR available, if 3 is Calvin Johnson, Arian Foster
    5. Jermichael Finley.

Hope to snag 2 top 5 defenses in rounds 10 and 11. It's not a PPR league but you get points for return yards, so a flyer on Josh Cribbs isn't a bad idea. Thoughts? Am I reaching for Schaub? I've found in mocks that after the first half of the second round, the running backs flatten out and the guys you could get after that point aren't appreciably better than the guys you can get in rounds 3-5 (Ronnie Brown types).
    10 or 12 team league? I always find when I have targets they never drop. Schaub isn't a reach there but if a good RB or WR is available I would take them and then take best available QB on the turn in the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    10 or 12 team league? I always find when I have targets they never drop. Schaub isn't a reach there but if a good RB or WR is available I would take them and then take best available QB on the turn in the 3rd.
    It's 12. Last draft I did, I got Schaub there. There are some newbies in this league, though, and I expect some weirdness.

This is the same league 3 years ago where a guy took Tony Romo with his first pick at around 6th overall, Randy Moss with his 2nd and Adrian Peterson (rookie) as his third and proceeded to go 13-1 before losing in the semis.

I think it is far easier to get a good QB in the 3rd or 4th round than it is to get a WR or RB that you can count upon. Brees, Manning, and Rogers are maybe worth taking in the 2nd, but not Schaub. I would expect that Schaub will be there for you in the 3rd round, especially with an early 3rd round pick. Heck, Brady probably will be there for you too.

--Jason "I got Brady in the 3rd in my league" Evans

I think it is far easier to get a good QB in the 3rd or 4th round than it is to get a WR or RB that you can count upon. Brees, Manning, and Rogers are maybe worth taking in the 2nd, but not Schaub. I would expect that Schaub will be there for you in the 3rd round, especially with an early 3rd round pick. Heck, Brady probably will be there for you too.

--Jason "I got Brady in the 3rd in my league" Evans
    All these scenarios and hoping guys fall is the reason I started and auction league this year. Draft was a lot of fun but it takes much longer than a regular draft. Still highly recommend it.

All these scenarios and hoping guys fall is the reason I started and auction league this year. Draft was a lot of fun but it takes much longer than a regular draft. Still highly recommend it.
    I commish a league for my sons' friends. 10 teams this year and we did an auction draft. It was tons of fun as the kids tried to bid each other up and stuff. I liked that it allowed anyone a chance to get CJ or APete.

--Jason "we got 13 man-rosters done in 3 hours. Not bad for a bunch of 11-13 year olds!" Evans

I'm not sold on Spiller. Undeniably a fantastic talent, but the Bills O-line is abysmal and I think the job belongs to Fred Jackson when he comes back. My league was a 10 team league, H2H, snake draft. You start: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, WR/TE, Def, K

I had the number 2 overall pick. My team:

QB: T. Romo
    RB: A. Peterson, A. Foster, M. Hardesty, M. Forte, J. Forsett, M. Bush
    WR: Ca. Johnson, B. Marshall, H. Ward, T. Owens, D. Thomas
    TE: A. Gates
    Def: NYG
    K: K. Brown

I never draft a backup QB as there is always someone I can fill in for one week if need be. I'd rather load up on RBs that I think have some upside. Obviously Foster is getting a lot of love this year, but I think Hardesty can be a 1300 total yard/8 TD kind of guy this year (for example).
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

on topic, but different, I love seeing the creative team names. I am starting with one I saw the other day: I'm Thinkin' RBs.

Two other good ones I have seen this year are: "Calvin and Jahvs" and "Skittles: Taste Dwayne Bowe"
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    on topic, but different, I love seeing the creative team names. I am starting with one I saw the other day: I'm Thinkin' RBs.

Two other good ones I have seen this year are: "Calvin and Jahvs" and "Skittles: Taste Dwayne Bowe"
    I've been going with Tebow's Izmel