Mike G. and James McAdoo

Just thought I'd share this recent video of a Duke and UNC recruit talking it up; really came away impressed by both men, but especially McAdoo... seems a very nice, thoughtful, and respectful fellow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf-hB...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Just thought I'd share this recent video of a Duke and UNC recruit talking it up; really came away impressed by both men, but especially McAdoo... seems a very nice, thoughtful, and respectful fellow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf-hB...layer_embedded
    Haha, great video. It looks like Mike needs to brush up on recent Duke basketball history.

Fun video. I'll have to admit, McAdoo seems like a good guy - mature, respectful, and well-spoken (although he thought Gbinije made up the word "winningest" even though it is a word; but we're not the winningest program, so Gbinije got that wrong...). Gbinije does get a few of his Duke facts wrong, but we can't expect everybody to keep track as much as we do. He also kinda slips when he says he wants to go to the NBA after one year, but then tries to retract it. Not that it's a huge concern, but that's usually kept under wraps. Deng was the last one-and-done and Scheyer scored 30+ last year vs ISU and Gardner-Wbb. I think Nolan got 29 vs Baylor.

First Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Fun video. I'll have to admit, McAdoo seems like a good guy - mature, respectful, and well-spoken (although he thought Gbinije made up the word "winningest" even though it is a word; but we're not the winningest program, so Gbinije got that wrong...). Gbinije does get a few of his Duke facts wrong, but we can't expect everybody to keep track as much as we do. He also kinda slips when he says he wants to go to the NBA after one year, but then tries to retract it. Not that it's a huge concern, but that's usually kept under wraps. Deng was the last one-and-done and Scheyer scored 30+ last year vs ISU and Gardner-Wbb. I think Nolan got 29 vs Baylor.
    I have a feeling that Michael was being sarcastic throughout the whole "one-and-done" talk. He had a sense of sarcasm throughout the whole interview, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BensonDevil View Post
    I have a feeling that Michael was being sarcastic throughout the whole "one-and-done" talk. He had a sense of sarcasm throughout the whole interview, in my opinion.
    that's how I took it as well.

I as everyone else has been saying really enjoyed this video. It is always cool to remember that these are just kids, living their dream, and having a blast playing basketball and being teenagers. JM seems like a nice, funny kid.

i am excited for MB to be in Duke blue. seen him play a couple times and really like his quiet yet effective game!

Go DUKE!

Anyone notice Mcadoo kept making it seem like MG wasnt totally commited? MOST LIKELY, he was kidding around but makes me wonder if Mike feels like he is being recruited over with all the guards and small forwards Duke is going after in '11 and '12.

Gbinije seems like a funny dude. Laid-back, but confident... his personality fits his game!

I find it peculiar that McAdoo (and if you look at the other draft express videos, harrison barnes et al) know the company line, ie, know the standard hate lines against Duke in regards to the draft, prep for the NBA, playing time, etc.

If you notice on our end, Gbinje and Kyrie mostly rely on recent events, ie, us sweeping Carolina and winning the NC this past year. No standard negative hits against UNC.

It's almost like these kids were negatively recruited against Duke...

or perhaps there's just so much standard duke hate out there that it's easy to remember the routine comments.

I think maybe some of you are reading way too much into a couple of kids playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    I find it peculiar that McAdoo (and if you look at the other draft express videos, harrison barnes et al) know the company line, ie, know the standard hate lines against Duke in regards to the draft, prep for the NBA, playing time, etc.

If you notice on our end, Gbinje and Kyrie mostly rely on recent events, ie, us sweeping Carolina and winning the NC this past year. No standard negative hits against UNC.

It's almost like these kids were negatively recruited against Duke...

or perhaps there's just so much standard duke hate out there that it's easy to remember the routine comments.

actually, the Duke recruit seems to be the one who has the loose lips. Had McAdoo said what he said, you guys would crucify him. At least McAdoo seems to have a handle on where he is going to school next year. Was MG a fan of Duke before being recruited?

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    actually, the Duke recruit seems to be the one who has the loose lips. Had McAdoo said what he said, you guys would crucify him.
    Like what?

At least McAdoo seems to have a handle on where he is going to school next year. Was MG a fan of Duke before being recruited?
    Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    actually, the Duke recruit seems to be the one who has the loose lips. Had McAdoo said what he said, you guys would crucify him. At least McAdoo seems to have a handle on where he is going to school next year. Was MG a fan of Duke before being recruited?
    Nope. He was actually a Carolina fan. Being a Duke fan is new to Mike, whereas McAdoo has been around his uncle his whole life and I'm sure has heard all the anti-Duke garbage his whole life. He's good at repeating what he's heard, but clearly not up on the facts.

Both kids seem to be very down to earth...

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Nope. He was actually a Carolina fan. Being a Duke fan is new to Mike, whereas McAdoo has been around his uncle his whole life and I'm sure has heard all the anti-Duke garbage his whole life. He's good at repeating what he's heard, but clearly not up on the facts.

Both kids seem to be very down to earth...
    Why did Gbinije spurn UNC for us? Or is that not the way it went.

Quote Originally Posted by BensonDevil View Post
    Why did Gbinije spurn UNC for us? Or is that not the way it went.
    He never got an offer from them and Duke moved in for the kill. It didn't take him very long to commit to us after we offered. Nate James.

I really like McAdoo after watching this video. This is a strange feeling - I don't think I've ever liked a UNC player before...

Gotta admit - while Kyrie defeated the UNC trio in the interview a couple months ago, I think McAdoo got the best of Gbinije in this one.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Fun video. I'll have to admit, McAdoo seems like a good guy - mature, respectful, and well-spoken (although he thought Gbinije made up the word "winningest" even though it is a word; but we're not the winningest program, so Gbinije got that wrong...).
    I think it was, "...the most winningest..." that was a bit jarring to the ear.

McAdoo does seem like a good guy, as does Mike. McAdoo was clearly the more comfortable talking on/to camera. Great to see Gbinje getting some air time - looking forward to seeing him play!

s.i.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I really like McAdoo after watching this video. This is a strange feeling - I don't think I've ever liked a UNC player before...

Gotta admit - while Kyrie defeated the UNC trio in the interview a couple months ago, I think McAdoo got the best of Gbinije in this one.
    Do you think that maybe the basketball fame of the MaAdoos and lifetime exposure to that by JM may have something to do with his comfort level with the media and knowledge of Carolina BB?

Anyone notice draft express video...

with Mcadoo and Mike Gbinje (i dont know if thats the correct spelling) and both are talking smack and inteviewing each other and Mcadoo mentions several times when asking Mike questions saying "If your going to Duke" and asking him if he sure he is going to Duke. Do you guys think there is anything to that?

Im hearing from UNC fans stuff like when did yall get Mike Gbinje? Sounds like they are concerned but I have yet to see him play so i cant call it right now!

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    with Mcadoo and Mike Gbinje (i dont know if thats the correct spelling) and both are talking smack and inteviewing each other and Mcadoo mentions several times when asking Mike questions saying "If your going to Duke" and asking him if he sure he is going to Duke. Do you guys think there is anything to that?

Im hearing from UNC fans stuff like when did yall get Mike Gbinje? Sounds like they are concerned but I have yet to see him play so i cant call it right now!
    Sigh... you really need to learn to use the search function. A simple search for McAdoo quickly brings up the thread from just a week ago where folks were discussing this.

--Jason "and now I will merge this into that thread..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?