Favorite Social Media

So now that a whole passel of people have stopped regularly using Facebook (after that initial nostalgic push), what social sites / ideas pass muster that you expect to keep up with for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    So now that a whole passel of people have stopped regularly using Facebook (after that initial nostalgic push), what social sites / ideas pass muster that you expect to keep up with for a long time.
    That's easy. None. I have a pretty good fixed base phone here at home that fills most of my needs. Then there is email, and voice mail to a lesser degree. On the fringe are the very few forums that I visit. The most important is face to face contact. No social networking could possibly measure up to the full week on the outer banks of North Carolina in the same house with 29 of my closest relatives. It was the experience of a life time.

DBR

Come on, admit it, ye of multiple pitchforks.

I would have to say that Twitter is a whole lot more interesting to me. I still use FB regularly, but I don't post pictures and I limit my exposure with pretty strict security choices.

But yes, DBR will always be my first love in social media.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I would have to say that Twitter is a whole lot more interesting to me. I still use FB regularly, but I don't post pictures and I limit my exposure with pretty strict security choices.

But yes, DBR will always be my first love in social media.
    So how do you use Twitter? DO you carry on conversations with tweets, just keep track of news, or actually use it for entertainment?

So how do you use Twitter? DO you carry on conversations with tweets, just keep track of news, or actually use it for entertainment?
    I'd have to agree that Twitter is probably the best. Depending on who you follow, Twitter is a great way to keep track of any and all types of news while also having the unique ability to connect and interact with people that are in the know (for example, Alex Kline, a very well respected scout for TheRecruitScoop regularly answers my questions pertaining to recruits and their possible destinations).

It's also a way of entertainment as many celebs (OchoCinco, Kardashians, Reggie Bush, etc.) and sports folk (Skip Bayless, ESPN anchors, etc.) get their opinions across and most of the time, what they have to say is interesting.

It's just a relaxed and (mostly) casual way to keep up with news and gossip, all the while, having the ability to interact.

All of the above.

My wife's family is all on there and it's how we keep track of the inane things in our lives, like a running conversation. I get some news updates although I'm considering unfollowing the WashPost, b/c they tweet too darn much. I do get lots of local updates for things in the DC area from individuals and organizations. And lastly, there are amusing individuals out there who post some humorous stuff.

Also, following dukeblueplanet, Chris Collins, Wojo, Ndotsmittiy, etc gives you some additional insight to the bball program.

You can make what you want of it.

I know the thread title was about which social media apps you found fun (favorite), but I have another Twitter question.

Other than as a more robust RSS feed, what kinds of things add value to your job / business via twitter?

I use Facebook...I don't have a Twitter account but I do look at tweets on occasion.

Speaking of RSS, can someone please explain how that works?

I know the thread title was about which social media apps you found fun (favorite), but I have another Twitter question.

Other than as a more robust RSS feed, what kinds of things add value to your job / business via twitter?
    I think the value in Twitter is the interaction. If a business just posts links over and over, it's useful, but it doesn't take advantage of the community aspect. If they interact with their customers, I think it gives the customer a sense of ownership in the process which might increase loyalty, repeat business, or customer retention.

@ComcastCares is a good example of a company (really an individual) changing it's perception one customer at a time. Here's an interview with Frank Eliason who started up Comcast's digital care group and really set the standard. http://www.toprankblog.com/2008/12/c...dia-interview/

I think the value in Twitter is the interaction. If a business just posts links over and over, it's useful, but it doesn't take advantage of the community aspect. If they interact with their customers, I think it gives the customer a sense of ownership in the process which might increase loyalty, repeat business, or customer retention.

@ComcastCares is a good example of a company (really an individual) changing it's perception one customer at a time. Here's an interview with Frank Eliason who started up Comcast's digital care group and really set the standard. http://www.toprankblog.com/2008/12/c...dia-interview/
    As with all things like Twitter -- the value in B2C (Consumer) can be immense if used properly. I'm looking more into the value anybody personally gets from Twitter for their job - not corporate value what-ifs for companies.

There are all kinds of community oriented building aspects of value to businesses -- but those arguments can be made for F/B, Digg, and even business models like open source. Is anybody personally getting help with their JOB from tweets?

Quote Originally Posted by muzikfrk75 View Post
    I use Facebook...I don't have a Twitter account but I do look at tweets on occasion.

Speaking of RSS, can someone please explain how that works?
    Basically, RSS is a way to subscribe to get updated content from websites. A better desription can be found on wikipedia.

I use an RSS reader to gather feeds from a good 70 websites/blogs. Each new blog entry is summarized and I can quickly scroll through and pick which stories i want to read. For example, I get the DBR as an RSS feed and I can skip the stories on Duke football and get to the one about Singler's surgery.

It's just another way to efficiently consume content.

As with all things like Twitter -- the value in B2C (Consumer) can be immense if used properly. I'm looking more into the value anybody personally gets from Twitter for their job - not corporate value what-ifs for companies.

There are all kinds of community oriented building aspects of value to businesses -- but those arguments can be made for F/B, Digg, and even business models like open source. Is anybody personally getting help with their JOB from tweets?
    I guess it depends on the job, but right now it seems that it gets a lot of use as a way to communicate with fans, customers, peers. That can apply to many professions.

I guess it depends on the job, but right now it seems that it gets a lot of use as a way to communicate with fans, customers, peers. That can apply to many professions.
    Still talking about a marketing communication channel. I'm looking for the other side of the channel. I've done open source, I've done social media (as in, I've worked there). There are some that believe that these concepts are changing business, but my belief is that the community-based thing is really only about communication.