Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Anyone heard anything about this? I just saw something about it and watched the trailer and it does look interesting, although I wonder how they will do a whole series based on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg46DWI_fCE

Well, it's based on a highly praised comic book series that's been running monthly since 2003, so they should have plenty of material.

I'm definitely looking forward to it.

AMC Series Rock

Seeing how much I love Mad Men - and Breaking Bad - I look forward to anything AMC produces.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs up

I watched the trailer and it looks awesome. Big name director and producer. I love that they are willing to put something outside the normal formula of what is on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I love that they are willing to put something outside the normal formula of what is on TV.
    Ditto to that. I'm not a zombie genre fan at all, but look at the big brass ones on AMC. They've got four series now. One focuses on an ad agency and is set 5 decades ago, one is the very bleak story of a teacher who turns to the drug trade, one is basically a '70's-ish, noirish spy vs. spy story with no modern day special effects or histrionics and with long periods of no dialogue, and now the fourth one is 28 Days Later in series form set in Texas. Not a hospital ensemble, police procedural, or legal drama in sight.

AMC's come out of nowhere to eclipse Showtime already and is going to be giving HBO a run for its money soon in terms of producing high-quality, high-production value, intelligent, outside the box TV with the potential to have cultural impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Ditto to that. I'm not a zombie genre fan at all, but look at the big brass ones on AMC. They've got four series now. One focuses on an ad agency and is set 5 decades ago, one is the very bleak story of a teacher who turns to the drug trade, one is basically a '70's-ish, noirish spy vs. spy story with no modern day special effects or histrionics and with long periods of no dialogue, and now the fourth one is 28 Days Later in series form set in Texas. Not a hospital ensemble, police procedural, or legal drama in sight.

AMC's come out of nowhere to eclipse Showtime already and is going to be giving HBO a run for its money soon in terms of producing high-quality, high-production value, intelligent, outside the box TV with the potential to have cultural impact.
    Speaking of Mad Men, I thought the "Clio" awards running in real-time against the Emmy's was brilliant. The last 2 weeks have been off the charts awesome!

AMC- Walking Dead

Watched the pilot last night and I loved it. It was really not what I expected. I was fearful it would be similar to all the zombie movies, Dawn of the Dead etc., which I enjoyed but was uncomfortable during it and couldn't watch weekly, but it really took the genre to a different level. It really focused on character development. Unlike many horror movies, there were reasons behind actions. Also in horror movies much of the quiet scenes with dialogue are just so they can surprise you with action, but in this, the dialogue was used to progress the story. It is a definite addition to the DVR.

Excellent start

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    Watched the pilot last night and I loved it. It was really not what I expected. I was fearful it would be similar to all the zombie movies, Dawn of the Dead etc., which I enjoyed but was uncomfortable during it and couldn't watch weekly, but it really took the genre to a different level. It really focused on character development. Unlike many horror movies, there were reasons behind actions. Also in horror movies much of the quiet scenes with dialogue are just so they can surprise you with action, but in this, the dialogue was used to progress the story. It is a definite addition to the DVR.
    I tend to concur that the opening episode was excellent. It will be interesting to see how the main characters develop as the series progresses.

Side benefit: Seeing downtown Atlanta sequences.

Also: I need something to wean me away from my Mad Men addiction until next summer and Season 5 begins.

k

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I liked the first episode. It had a good feel to it. Looking forward to seeing where it will go.

how did this thread get forgotten??????

this series has become one of the hottest all time series EVER????

i confess that i missed it the first two seasons, then a friend got me to watch the pilot and i was like..."ok, that was pretty good" but i wasn't sucked in...like 24 sucked in....then i watched the 2nd one (first season) and was like..."ok...that was BETTER!"....watched the 3rd and i was hook line and sinker in...

just finished season 2 and i'm ready for more....GREAT Series...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    just finished season 2 and i'm ready for more....GREAT Series...
    Like you, I missed this for the first 2.5 seasons. I caught up over a couple weeks during this season's midyear break. I thought season 2 was pretty poor followup to a great 1st season, and I almost stopped watching. TWD recently got a new showrunner who has done my favorite episode this season (two weeks ago) and my 2nd favorite episode of the season (last night), so I'm excited to see where he takes the show. For as great as the ratings have been, I think the show hasn't even reached it's potential yet.

Wow, we never really talked about this show, did we?

Gotta say, after the first six or so episodes I felt it really took a nosedive. Only in the last three or so episodes has it improved, IMO. The characters have been totally flat and uninteresting... how can there be NO ONE for me to root for? Doesn't have to be a good guy; just someone I care about! Tony Soprano certainly was a bad guy, but you found yourself rooting for him. There is basically no one here. No personal relationships worth anything (the Rick/Hershel one is maybe the best) and massive moments of "OMG I am so upset I will approach this situation like an idiot instead of like a normal person, because if I approach it like a real person the story won't progress!" make it hard to take.

I am glad, though, that the last few episodes have felt much stronger... more interesting, more introverted, more focused on the relationships.

My take on Walking Dead

I, and my adult children, are rabid fans of WD.

Like other shows on AMC, this series is not your usual "let's watch tonight's show and see what's going on" type.

Granted, some episodes are "better" than others, but there is an underlying and always developing story line. To truly appreciate the program, it is almost a requirement to go back to the first two seasons and watch every one. Numerous major characters, central to the story line in those episodes, are no longer with us. And every now and then, a character from the past reappears, such as in the recent (one of the best episodes ever) titled "Clear."

Many folks think this is just another scary show with zombies (walkers/biters/whatever) going through the neighborhood. It is far, far more than that! My best description would be a continuing insight into the human psyche (as exhibited by the various individuals encountered) in a world suddenly turned upside down.

The series is kinda like a fine wine...you have to savor it.

Of course, I'm really just treading water until Mad Men returns in April, but that is a different topic entirely.

k

Caught this show this past summer when AMC ran the Season 1 and 2 marathon. Needless to say I'm hooked. Sure some things don't make much sense, but then like all sci-fi shows you have to go with the flow and cut them a little slack.

As for shows that don't get much talk, how about Game of Thrones? It was all the rage during the first season, but I don't recall many fans discussing it during season 2.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I got sucked in while prepping a tailgate at TNT's house. His wife had already been a huge fan, so she was watching tons of DVR recordings leading up to this season's premiere. I started halfway paying attention, and by the third show had left the kitchen for the couch permanently.
    My girlfriend refuses to watch it, she can't even be in the other room and listen to all the zombie gurgles, so I DVR them and watch a few episodes back to back while she's at work. I'm caught up now through "Clear", and will watch the last episodes after the season is over. I haven't gone back and watched the B&W shows yet, but I've got them recorded too. Maybe some time later in the Spring.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yeah, TWD is FULL of bizarre decisions and moments that make no sense if you think about them... for example... if all the walkers walk up to a fence to bite you, why not just stand at the fence and kill them one at a time? Why go out there instead? And good lord, the end of the farm, with all of these civilians driving around on dirt in cars just popping off headshots... SEALs couldn't do that. I know it is strange to say "realism" when it comes to zombie shows, but outside of zombies they SHOULD be realistic.

And Game of Thrones is amazing. Lots of people talk about it

if a whole herd of walkers sashaying through the woods are suddenly turned and focused on ONE direction together by a gunshot, would it not make sense to go around beHIND the herd and fire off another shot?

just curious...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I really solid episode last night. I certainly didn't see that end coming. I wonder who'll get the blame for the death, Rick or Michonne?

Maggie is definitely a goner next episode, along with the governor. Any other predictions on who bites the bullet next Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilinNYC View Post
    Maggie is definitely a goner next episode, along with the governor. Any other predictions on who bites the bullet next Sunday?
    Don't know about Maggie definitely being a goner. I think the Governor and Martinez and a bunch of Woodberry citizens will bite it, and I wouldn't be surprised if some combination of Herschel, Beth, Judith, Carol, and Andrea die as well. If I had to guess, I would say Herschel, Beth, and Judith don't make it through to season 4.