Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke's Men's golf at NCAA Tourney

http://www.golfstatresults.com//publ...ayers_962.html
    Here's to hoping they can turn it around. GO DUKE!!

Can you give us an update on how Joe Ogilvie has been faring the last year or so?
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Joe Ogilvie

The link below summarizes Joe's first half of the year. His performance this year (8 cuts out of 15 starts and 119th on money list) is significantly down from the last 2-3 years. I believe that he was invited to the Memorial tournament the last couple of years but not this year. He will need to pick it up during the last half of the year to retain his PGA tour playing privileges.

http://www.pgatour.com/players/02/19/49/

The following link provides all the stats one would want to know about this year's tour.

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/

gw67

Day 2 was much better for the Duke men. Two under for the round (tied for third best on the day), and moved up ten places in the standings, from 29th to tied for 19th. Only five shots out of the top 10.

Thanks gw.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Arrow Men's Golf Team

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Here's to hoping they can turn it around. GO DUKE!!
    Perhaps they need the right coach!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Much better

on day 2, got into the mix, somewhat. Today is proverbial "moving day." Kinda strange seeing Stanford, Minnesota, Coastal Carolina, ETSU and Charlotte in the top 5, not exactly your traditional golf powers. GO DUKE!!!

Coastal's pulled to within one of the lead this morning as they're 8-under on the round. WOW!! Whatta move. The Devils don't play til afternoon. GO DUKE!!!

Stanford and Minnesota

Chuck,

You stated that it was strange to see Stanford and Minnesota at the top of the leaderboard. I don't keep up with college golf but Stanford used to be a power and Minnesota won the championship a few years ago (I recall reading a story on them in the Post or SI and was amazed that a Northern school was able to beat the warm weather schools).

I read that they are playing the Golden Horseshoe course in Williamsburg. I've played the course three times and it, along with the Homestead, are my two favorite courses in Virginia. It is a beautiful, old fashioned layout and, as you know, the par three's are exceptional.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    on day 2, got into the mix, somewhat. Today is proverbial "moving day." Kinda strange seeing Stanford, Minnesota, Coastal Carolina, ETSU and Charlotte in the top 5, not exactly your traditional golf powers. GO DUKE!!!
    Stanford former students have won at least 20 major championships!

Chuck, considering how close they are to you (you're in Richmond, right?), did you head down to Williamsburg to watch the event live.

Everytime I have a tee time to play Golden Horseshoe, it gets rained out!!! My FIL is a member at Kingsmill, so I play there about twice a month. I've also played Kiskiack and Williamsburg National, not bad little tracks.

Duke's Michael Schachner is 9 under after 12 in today's round. WOW!

Duke is now tied for 8th. GO DUKE!

I live in Tidewater. I've played the Golden Horseshoe twice, and it was gorgeous both times. I've played Kiskiak once, and really liked it.

Never played Kingsmill, but it's on my list.

I got to play the Cascades course at the Homestead about one month ago. Wow. What a beautiful course. Seriously difficult, though.

Michael Schachner of Duke shot a 60 today, tying an all time NCAA record for best round.

The rest of Duke shot seven over for the day, but the aggregate team score of three under for the day enabled the Devils to move into a tie for tenth place. Realistically, unless the entire team shoots tomorrow the way Schachner shot today they can't finish higher than sixth or seventh, but that would still be a really solid performance for a team that was seeded in the 20's coming into the tournament.

Sadly (not!), Carolina finished outside the top 15 and will not be playing tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Michael Schachner of Duke shot a 60 today, tying an all time NCAA record for best round.
    His front nine was just sick -- he shot a 28, with seven birdies (five in a row at one point) and two pars.

I was hoping there was some interest in this tourney and am glad to see several posts today as I just returned home from work and gotta be back in at 7AM tomorrow, so I'll not be able to attend as I had hoped. For those who don't know I am seeking the golf job position which is open. I have a good support group set up and appreciate any help I can get. For those of you close by Richmond, if you wanna get together and play, I'm game. If you want help getting on a course I may be able to help. Ozzie's been up here to play and we paid nada plus brought our own beer. Nice course, too, private. Plus, OZ, didn't we play with two of my buds, Larry L and Paras?

Back to the tournament. To shoot 60 at the 'Shoe is awesome. As GW said, it's a classic old-time course, not too long but very tough at times. Tight, with many doglegs and undulating greens that can get very slick, it's just a classic. Robert T Jones designed it, same as the Duke course. Plus it's a gorgeous piece-o-land, with all four par 3's together, all downhill and over water. Way Cool!! Gotta drop a c-note and play this track (can't help with any discount on this course) Duke's had a really good run, let's hope they can finish tomorrow and get a top-5 or so. Wish I could be there, but glad the Holes went home. BWAHAHAHAHA!!! 9F

Not going so well today. The team is all +2 - +5 and we are in 15th.

lives near a number of big white buildings

Duke golfer breaks NCAA record

Excuse me if this has been posted elsewhere but Saturday's Washington Post reports that "Duke's Michael Schachner broke the (NCAA) tournament record with a 10-under par 60" on Friday's round.

EDIT--Now I see the round mentioned down below in a running thread on the tournament ("Duke's Men's golf off to rough start at NCAA Tourney") but the Post reports the round as breaking not tying the tournament single-round record.
    Last edited by SmartDevil; 06-02-2007 at 06:13 PM.