Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Duke Football Shouldn't Be Overlooked This Season...

Great article I read by Mike Kline on BleacherReport.com.

Check it out HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Dukefan1214 View Post

Check it out HERE
    When we win on September 18, 2010, teams will stop taking us lightly. Mark my words, oh ye of little faith. Duke Football will win on 9/18.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukefan1214 View Post

Check it out HERE
    I am looking forward to the season and seeing what Cut can get out of this group. This year's Duke Football team has the potential to be a good team but faces 3 key challenges.

1. The Schedule- As noted in another thread 4 of the 5 teams in Duke's ACC Division is ranked in the Top 20 Pre-Season Poll and Duke plays all 4 teams in addition to playing Number 1 Alabama. If this team gets a Bowl Bid it will have darn well have earned it.

2. Youth- This is a very young team that has more underclassmen than upperclassmen. It is very young on the defensive line and in the linebacker core. Talented but youthful bound to make youthful mistakes.

3. New QB- Renfree looked good last year, but any time you send out a new QB, you never know for sure what you are getting. I expect that he will handle the job just fine and will end up being a really good quarterback but there are no guarantee's with a new QB.

The good news is we have a really good Coach and Staff molding all of these pieces together. The days of rolling over and playing dead are gone. The one thing we can say with confidence is that this team will fight and fight hard..

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I am looking forward to the season and seeing what Cut can get out of this group. This year's Duke Football team has the potential to be a good team but faces 3 key challenges.

1. The Schedule- As noted in another thread 4 of the 5 teams in Duke's ACC Division is ranked in the Top 20 Pre-Season Poll and Duke plays all 4 teams in addition to playing Number 1 Alabama. If this team gets a Bowl Bid it will have darn well have earned it.

2. Youth- This is a very young team that has more underclassmen than upperclassmen. It is very young on the defensive line and in the linebacker core. Talented but youthful bound to make youthful mistakes...
    Yeah, I see what you're getting at. The schedule sure doesn't help Duke in it's "rebuilding" phase, and the youth at most of the positions and at quarterback may hurt the Blue Devils early on, but like you said Cutcliffe will get as much as he can out of this group.

The youth may be good, too! He wanted to recruit players with speed, and this year's class, as well as the Class of 2011, both have fast players. Looks like Duke is definitely headed in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    When we win on September 18, 2010, teams will stop taking us lightly. Mark my words, oh ye of little faith. Duke Football will win on 9/18.
    If we had a team comprised mostly of upperclassmen, this might not be so far-fetched. With our current roster still being rather young, I don't think this will be the year for an upset of this magnitude. Though, I will be ecstatic to deliver a budlite or three to you if we shock the world.

This year's Duke Football team has the potential to be a good team but faces 3 key challenges.

1. The Schedule-

2. Youth-

3. New QB-
    While I agree with your 3 key challenges, I'd add a fourth and classify it as the #1 challenge, the performance of our defensive line.

We do not have depth on the defensive line and this is especially worrisome. Several articles I've read state Duke will play a 3-4 defense this year to take advantage of the strength and speed we have available at linebacker. Additionally, Kenny Anunike has been moved from tight end to defensive end.

The defensive line must be able to contain opponents running game while simultaneously pressuring the quarterback on pass plays. We gave up too many big plays on 3rd and long last year due to the opponents quarterback having too much time to throw the ball.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If we had a team comprised mostly of upperclassmen, this might not be so far-fetched. With our current roster still being rather young, I don't think this will be the year for an upset of this magnitude. Though, I will be ecstatic to deliver a budlite or three to you if we shock the world.

And I will be ecstatic to receive them!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

A few thoughts in reply

1. The Schedule- As noted in another thread 4 of the 5 teams...

2. Youth- This is a very young team that has more underclassmen...

3. New QB- Renfree looked good last year, but any time you send...
    Actually I think the schedule is going to help us. I think some of those teams are ranked too high, if we can steal a few the perception of gains will be that much bigger. Plus while playing weak teams can help in the short term, it hasn't helped us in the long term.

I don't even want to get started on Youth, I heard that argument so many years even I'm tired of hearing it. Put them out there and let them play!

Agree on the quarterback, but not because he is new. Rather I'm concerned because of the ACL injury he received last year. Just a tough sport for injuries such as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    Agree on the quarterback, but not because he is new. Rather I'm concerned because of the ACL injury he received last year. Just a tough sport for injuries such as that.
    If he puts in his time and cooperates with the rehab schedule he'll come back 110%. That surgery is darn close to routine nowadays...that coupled that with the Duke medical staff that's worked on him and you'll get a knee stronger than the original design.

The hardest part of it all is getting him to believe it's that strong.

challenges

I'm less worried about the QB situation than many of you. Renfree is the guy Cutcliffe has been grooming since he got the job and he's on a perfect timetable for success -- the same timetable he used to bring Eli Manning along at Ole Miss.

The ACL injury is less worrisome that it would have been 10 years ago. Surgical knowledge has really increased in their field and recovery is usually close to 100 percent after six months. Besides, Renfree is not a run-and-jump guy -- I'd be more worried about a rotator cuff.

I agree with Bob -- the defensive line is the biggest concern. The unexpected loss of John Drew was a huge blow.

Youth is a concern, but we have good experience on the OL, at LB and DE and in the secondary. We have the best group of receivers (both WR and TE) in the ACC. We have a senior punter and an second-team All-ACC PK.

And as tough asd the schedule is overall, I think it gives Duke a chance to take another step forward (from one win in 2007 to four in 2008 to five in 2009). While no game is a lock for a team like Duke, I see three games that the Devils abolutely should win -- Elon, Army and Virginia at home.

There are three more that I rate as tossups: at Wake, at Navy and at Maryland. I wish they were at home, but I do note that Duke won twice on the road in the ACC last season and Cut's biggest non-conference win was at Vandy.

Finally, there are three games that -- while Duke is an underdog, I won't concede: Boston College, Miami and UNC at home. I know the last two are preseason second-10 teams, but they are teams that we've played tough in the last two years.

Obviously, a lot has to go right for this season to be a success ... but I could see winning the first three games, adding two of the next three and one of the final three for a 6-6 season ... and a bowl game.

I know that's a modest goal, but it would be another huge step forward for what was -- just three years ago -- the worst BCS program in the country.

And whatever happens this year, look at the roster and see how well-prepared Duke will be heading into the 2011 season. Even if we don't get the breaks this season and finish with 4-5 wins, we'll be better situationed a year from now for a breakthrough season.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I agree with Bob -- the defensive line is the biggest concern.
    Thanks! Your concurrence with my thoughts is encouraging. I spend way too much time following and discussing sports so it is delightful to believe I might actually know what I'm talking about.

There are three more that I rate as tossups: at Wake, at Navy and at Maryland. I wish they were at home, but I do note that Duke won twice on the road in the ACC last season and Cut's biggest non-conference win was at Vandy.
    Additionally, in our last trip to Annapolis we gave the Midshipmen all they could handle before falling 43-46. That game was during Coach Roof's last season. I don't see a Coach Cutcliffe coached team falling apart in the fourth quarter like we did in 2007.

I know that's a modest goal, but it would be another huge step forward for what was -- just three years ago -- the worst BCS program in the country.
    The success we have achieved in two short years under Coach Cutcliffe is impressive. We are no longer the worst BCS program, in fact, we are better than a couple of other ACC programs. The key is we need to build on this early success and move forward toward being a program that can compete for the ACC title.

And whatever happens this year, look at the roster and see how well-prepared Duke will be heading into the 2011 season. Even if we don't get the breaks this season and finish with 4-5 wins, we'll be better situationed a year from now for a breakthrough season.
    While I agree 100 percent with your analysis, I want that breakthrough season and bowl game in 2010.
    Bob Green

acc programs

Bob,

While we tend to agree on the prospects for Duke football, I was intrigued by your suggestion that Duke is now better than "a couple of other ACC programs."

I was actually thinking about that and trying to come up with a dispassionate ranking.

I think that as of this moment, Duke's program is clearly ahead of just one ACC program -- Virginia. Not only have we beaten the Cavs twice in a row, we finished ahead of them in the standings last year and are picked to finish ahead of them this year. They've changed coaches and even though they've invested a ton in their program (their facilities are fantastic), nobody knows where that program is going. Obviously, beating them in Wade on November 6 will go a long way towards putting them in our rear-view mirror.

The two programs I'm wrestling with are Duke vs. Maryland and N.C. State. Duke beat both of them last year and finished with a better ACC record (in a tougher division). I can see where you could make the case that Duke has caught them. Again, both schools have invested a lot in their programs, but they seem to be treading water -- in Maryland's case, they have slipped badly in recent years.

I'm not ready to say we've passed either -- both State and Maryland were in bowl games as recently as 2008. We were better last year ... but I'm not ready to declare that our "program" has passed them.

This year will go a long way towards demonstrating where we rank as a program. I think we're on the rise -- past Virginia and closing on Maryland and N.C. State.

Bob,

The two programs I'm wrestling with are Duke vs. Maryland and N.C. State. Duke beat both of them last year and finished with a better ACC record (in a tougher division). I can see where you could make the case that Duke has caught them. Again, both schools have invested a lot in their programs, but they seem to be treading water -- in Maryland's case, they have slipped badly in recent years.
    Maryland is the second team I view as having fallen behind Duke. While I might be jumping the gun a bit in declaring our program better than Maryland, I believe we are headed up while they are falling. I hadn't really thought about N.C. State that much but now that you've brought them up, I agree we are closing in on the Wolfpack as well.

I see Wake Forest as another program we could catch in the near future. The Demon Deacons have to prove they can sustain the success they've achieved. Was last season's 5-7 finish a fluke or is Wake Forest headed the wrong direction? The September 11 match-up between the Blue Devils and Demon Deacons should tell us a lot. I view that game as a must win game. We haven't beaten Wake Forest since 1999, however, if we are to earn a bowl bid in 2010, we need to beat the Demon Deacons.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    DukeCar.jpg

This car was at the Bojangles in Kinston this morning...I think they are ready for September 4th.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    DukeCar.jpg

This car was at the Bojangles in Kinston this morning...I think they are ready for September 4th.
    Ahh, much better than what I could see on my phone. Thanks.

Let's end the season by beating UNC!

I'm less worried about the QB situation than many of you. Renfree is the guy Cutcliffe has been grooming since he got the job and he's on a perfect timetable for success -- the same timetable he used to bring Eli Manning along at Ole Miss.

The ACL injury is less worrisome that it would have been 10 years ago. Surgical knowledge has really increased in their field and recovery is usually close to 100 percent after six months. Besides, Renfree is not a run-and-jump guy -- I'd be more worried about a rotator cuff.

I agree with Bob -- the defensive line is the biggest concern. The unexpected loss of John Drew was a huge blow.

Youth is a concern, but we have good experience on the OL, at LB and DE and in the secondary. We have the best group of receivers (both WR and TE) in the ACC. We have a senior punter and an second-team All-ACC PK.

And as tough asd the schedule is overall, I think it gives Duke a chance to take another step forward (from one win in 2007 to four in 2008 to five in 2009). While no game is a lock for a team like Duke, I see three games that the Devils abolutely should win -- Elon, Army and Virginia at home.

Finally, there are three games that -- while Duke is an underdog, I won't concede: Boston College, Miami and UNC at home. I know the last two are preseason second-10 teams, but they are teams that we've played tough in the last two years.

Obviously, a lot has to go right for this season to be a success ... but I could see winning the first three games, adding two of the next three and one of the final three for a 6-6 season ... and a bowl game.

How GREAT it would be to end the season by beating the Heels! Similar to UNC, recent history isn't on our side against Wake, but why can't we get over the hump and beat WFU on the road this year? I'll say it will be another loss to Wake in a close game, and a great win over UNC to end the season. I'll predict a loss at Navy, which has had very competitive and well-coached teams lately, but I think we'll beat Maryland.

Winning at Miami is doubtful, probably the same against BC.

Duke's schedule is favorable and I agree with your prediction: we will go 6-6 and off to minor bowl!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueandWhite View Post
    How GREAT it would be to end the season by beating the Heels!
    That would be great...but not as important as just getting a win in November. Cutcliffe has said what a team does in November defines that team, and it's been a long time since we've celebrated Thanksgiving reminscing a recent victory.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

How GREAT it would be to end the season by beating the Heels! Similar to UNC, recent history isn't on our side against Wake, but why can't we get over the hump and beat WFU on the road this year? I'll say it will be another loss to Wake in a close game, and a great win over UNC to end the season. I'll predict a loss at Navy, which has had very competitive and well-coached teams lately, but I think we'll beat Maryland.

Duke's schedule is favorable and I agree with your prediction: we will go 6-6 and off to minor bowl!
    Wake will be making some adjustments with new personnel in crucial positions where they previously had players who could make the play that wins the game. In addition, there are a couple of their players who are suspended from the first two games in the season. One is their receiver who leads the team in touchdowns and the other is a backup DE. Playing Wake the second week of the season could be a good thing for us.

miami

Just to be accurate, Duke plays Miami in Durham (Oct. 16), not "at Miami"

While I agree that the Hurricanes have to be favored, I'm not as ready to write that game off as you are. A year ago, Duke led 16-10 in the third quarter in Miami and were driving for a fourth-quarter lead when they were the victim of a terrible call that reversed the momentum of the game and helped the 'Canes pull away.

The year before, in Durham, Duke led 17-14 at the half. When Miami scored to take the lead at 21-17, Duke marched down and regained the lead late in the third quarter at 24-21 .. at that point, Duke ran out of gas and Miami pilled away for a 49-31 victory.

Miami barely beat a 1-11 Ted Roof team 24-14 in Miami in 2007. In 2006, in Durham, it came down to the last play -- Duke was down 20-15 and had the ball at the Miami 10 yard line before Thad threw a game-ending interception.

My point is that Miami has been better and is better this year, but Duke has been able to play with them. Yeah, they have better athletes, but we have a better coaching staff -- by far. I didn't pick that as a win, only as a game that Duke has a chance to win ... and I still believe that.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-09-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Some of you might enjoy reading a series that DBR poster Wolfpackdevil is writing on crazietalk's front page.
    He is previewing each of Duke's opponents, finishing with the heels on the night before the season opener against Elon.
    Here are the Wake and Alabama breakdowns, the Elon preview is in the football forum. He's done a great job with his analysis.

http://crazietalk.net/blog1.php/2010...econd-opponent --Wake preview

http://crazietalk.net/blog1.php/2010...s-3rd-opponent -- Alabama preview