Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could this be Coach K's deepest team?

Over the years of watching Duke basketball, ive noticed K doesnt really go more than 7 deep. Im looking at this years roster and I see a team that could go 10 deep. This has to be K's deepest team he has ever had. He has some heavy artillery coming off the bench this year and I am hoping he will use all of it. Its gonna be hard to keep people happy but if anyone can do it K can.

Does anyone think this is K's deepest team

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Over the years of watching Duke basketball, ive noticed K doesnt really go more than 7 deep. Im looking at this years roster and I see a team that could go 10 deep. This has to be K's deepest team he has ever had. He has some heavy artillery coming off the bench this year and I am hoping he will use all of it. Its gonna be hard to keep people happy but if anyone can do it K can.

This has probably been covered sufficiently in another thread but k has shown that he is willing to use his depth when he has it. The 2008 team had 9 contributors in Paulus, Scheyer, Thomas, Henderson, Nelson, Singler, Smith, and Zoubs when healthy plus King, who probably would have played more if not for some of his other issues.

Others have brought up the deep and talented teams at the end of the 20th century including the 97 and 98 squads. I think it remains to be seen how much of an impact all of te players will make next year, but I do think we will be pretty deep with the plumlees, Irving, Smith, Singler, Curry, Dawkins, and Kelly all likely to get consistent minutes. I think Hairston is a wildcard to receive some more minutes. Whether this will constitute k's deepest team depends on how much Kelly, dawkins, and Curry contribute off the bench. Plus, hairston would need to force himself onto the court as well.

In the Hands of the Plumlees

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    This has probably been covered sufficiently in another thread but k has shown that he is willing to use his depth when he has it. The 2008 team had 9 contributors in Paulus, Scheyer, Thomas, Henderson, Nelson, Singler, Smith, and Zoubs when healthy plus King, who probably would have played more if not for some of his other issues.

Others have brought up the deep and talented teams at the end of the 20th century including the 97 and 98 squads. I think it remains to be seen how much of an impact all of te players will make next year, but I do think we will be pretty deep with the plumlees, Irving, Smith, Singler, Curry, Dawkins, and Kelly all likely to get consistent minutes. I think Hairston is a wildcard to receive some more minutes. Whether this will constitute k's deepest team depends on how much Kelly, dawkins, and Curry contribute off the bench. Plus, hairston would need to force himself onto the court as well.

I think we can make an early projection that this COULD be a really deep DUKE team ... but that is kinda dependent on what kind of game Miles and Mason bring in November. It looks as though (in summer league) MP1 is gearing up to be "the" replacement for Zoubek, what with the bulking up, the dynamics, and even the beard.

Mason, I'm just not sure about. Does his have the defensive instincts to step it up a level from last year (when he didn't, save for some spectacular "help" blocks)? Can he develop more offensive moves (than just Dunking) that lead to getting the ball into the hoop? With his hops, he should by now be getting off a reliable 2-5 foot bank shot from either side of the rim, and scoring easy baskets. I hope he feels the heat from Ryan, who from others' comments, is now ready to play some BASKETBALL this year. And then there's Josh, who will be working hard for minutes in the frontcourt.

With the other four starting positions (Miles/Kyle/Nolan/Kyrie) falling into place, a Mason-Ryan 1-2 punch at the "4" could be the link that pushes this team from damn good to one of the elite in the country. Our perimeter game looks to be one of the best we've ever had. Again, Kyle and Nolan are among the nation's top dozen players. One or two from the group of Seth/Andre/Tyler are going to step it up on given nights and give us some added punch.

Hell, I hope they all emerge, and make this thread a reality ! GO DUKE !

Back court depth is outstanding, however, up front our depth MAY be somewhat less. I suspect to see K play a variety of teams/player-mixes -- especially early in the season -- some emphasizing speed, ball handling, DEFENSE and interior shooting, and others focused on the parameter and on DEFENSE. By the time the ACC season commences, however, much of this will have solidified. The ability to have excellent, experienced and rested player available in critical second halfs is a real advantage, as is depth to overcome potential injuries, and to project multiple offensive and defensive alignments (thereby really complicating the opponents' strategies).

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    ... pushes this team from damn good to one of the elite in the country.
    I generally agree with your entire post, but have excerpted just this part to disagree a little, or at least comment to clarify further.

If "damn good" refers to preseason/on paper, and "elite" refers to end-season/Final 4, fair enough. But otherwise, Duke is near-certain to be one of the few elite teams in '10-'11, both in terms of depth and athleticism. Indeed, Duke may well go from being perceived in '09-'10 as "remarkably unathletic" to very athletic. Kyrie's game will be so eye-catching that his presence alone will change perceptions. Second, his and Nolan's alley-oopers to the MPs [and to each other, seriously] will provide wow-highlights every game. Seth will be, to unattentive fans, a "where'd he come from" newcomer. And Kyle's all-around excellence will get him plenty of grudging admiration.

Going into '10-'11, therefore, Duke is the most likely team to achieve elite status. The competitors for preseason #1 - MichSt and Purdue - are certainly solid and experienced, but not as athletic as Duke promises to be. MichSt down a notch in talent-experience because of loss of Allen. No team in the country matches Duke in 8-10-man talent-experience-depth. Other good teams on paper, sure, including Texas, 'Nova, 'Cuse, definitely OhioSt. UK has great young talent, but loss of Dodson, even if addition by subtraction, takes away their only proven 3-bomber, and UK has absolutely no proven experience. UNC has great young talent, too, but there's just no telling how quickly they'll get beyond '09-'10 issues, both psychological and substantive. Perhaps things will go swimmingly for the Heels; but one could hardly predict that with utmost confidence.

Duke is the only team that has a reasonable chance to become a great, great team. No guarantees. Even great teams don't always win NC. But with 2 preseason senior All-Americans, a preseason top 3 frosh [and easily top-1 in exciting moves], plenty of depth, defending champs, not to mention K - well, Duke-haters will have an ample target toward which to fulminate and froth.

My question is how many players will get 15+ minutes during ACC play?

Guaranteed:
    -Ndotsmitty
    -Singler
    -Brother Plumlee 1
    -Brother Plumlee 2
    -Irving
    -Curry

<90% likely:
    -Kelly (3.5 min in 2010 starting with Clemson on 1/3)

<80% likely:
    -Dawkins (9.5 min in 2010 starting with Clemson on 1/3)

<25% likely:
    -Hairston

<10% likely:
    -Thornton

It this scenario happens, that means that Coach K will most likely have a rotation of 8 (possibly 9) by the time ACC play comes around.

There have to teams deeper than 8 players in the past, right?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

The 2001 title team bought Dunleavy off the bench, right?

The 1992 team brought Chief, Meek, Clark off the bench.

The 1991 team brought McCaffrey (!), either Davis/Koubek and Palmer/Buckley off the bench.

1999 had Nate, Burgess, Maggette off the bench - that gets my vote for deepest.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    In 2001 Dunleavy started all 39 games. The initial starting line-up was Williams-James-Dunleavy-Battier-Boozer, with Duhon off the bench. When Boozer got hurt K changed the line-up to start to Williams-Duhon-Dunleavy-Battier-Sanders, to get more overal quickness on the floor. The 2001 team was actually not very deep for a championship team. They had six guys who played more than 800 minutes on the year, and after that the next closest guy had less than half of that. They won because those top six were so unbelievably good.

As far as next year's team, they do have quality depth. But when ACC play rolls around you can rest assured that there will be a clear top eight who get the vast majority of minutes: Smith, Singler, Irving, Plumlee, Plumlee, Curry, Dawkins, and Kelly. That group will do the heavy lifting for Duke as the season progresses. Those eight guys will have significantly more minutes than the ninth and tenth guys.

Depends on what you mean by deepest

The 1998 team was incredibly deep: Wojo, Langdon, Battier, McLeod, Brand, Avery, Chappell, Carrawell, Burgess, Domzalski, Price/James. That's 11 guys who could all have started and contribute significantly to a major D-1 that season (in fact, all of them at some point were regular 20+ mpg players on the Duke team during their careers). That might be the deepest team we've ever fielded.

In terms of the most number of players with top-tier talent, the 1991-1992 teams, the 1999 team, and the 2001 team might have something to say about that (and that's just off the top of my head). Though the 1999 and 2001 teams were not actually all that deep. They were just really really good through at least 6-7 guys (top-end depth), as opposed to really solid/good through 10-11 guys.

That being said, it's a potentially very deep and talented team. It's just that some guys still have to prove themselves before I'm ready to put them in the category of those other teams mentioned above.
    Last edited by CDu; 08-05-2010 at 10:40 AM.

I do not know if it was depth (in its most crucial meaning), or coaching, or team commitment and selfless, or tenaciousness, or talent, or leadership, or a combination of these – and perhaps other – ingredients. However, our National Championship 2001 team deserves special mention for “depth.” When Carlos was injured in our next-to-last regular season ACC game against Maryland, the pundits all felt the Blue Devils were through. How wrong they were; despite this major impediment, Duke never lost again, winning both the ACC and the NCAA Championships. Players – especially Nate James – assumed vital roles and brilliantly succeeded, including Reggie Love and (IMHO) Duke’s all-time strongest leader and role-model, Shane Battier.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post

The idea that K only plays a 7 man rotation is mostly a myth. The 1997-98 team had ten guys who played 10 or more minutes per game and an 11th guy who played 8 mpg. Statistically that is the deepest team Duke has fielded in the K era, but there have been many others who have gone 8 or 9 or even 10 deep.

That said, the 2010-11 team will have a lot of quality depth, and I expect a solid 9-man rotation, even toward the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    The idea that K only plays a 7 man rotation is mostly a myth.

That said, the 2010-11 team will have a lot of quality depth, and I expect a solid 9-man rotation, even toward the end of the year.
    I agree the seven man rotation is a myth. One of many myths surrounding the program.

The 2009-10 NCAA Champions team had eight players average double digit minutes on the season. I expect the 2010-11 team will also have a solid eight man rotation. Remove Scheyer, Thomas and Zoubek and insert Irving, Curry and Kelly.

Freshmen Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton will most likely see minutes similar to those seen by Ryan Kelly as a freshman: 6.5 per game.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree the seven man rotation is a myth. One of many myths surrounding the program.

The 2009-10 NCAA Champions team had eight players average double digit minutes on the season. I expect the 2010-11 team will also have a solid eight man rotation. Remove Scheyer, Thomas and Zoubek and insert Irving, Curry and Kelly.

Freshmen Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton will most likely see minutes similar to those seen by Ryan Kelly as a freshman: 6.5 per game.
    I am tweaking my prediction from 2 months ago by adding in an all others row of 2 mpg since we will have many blowouts this year.

Smith 28
    Singler 28
    Irving 27
    Mason 25
    Miles 25
    Kelly 20
    Curry 19
    Dawkins 13
    Hairston 8
    Thornton 5
    All Others 2
    Total 200

As you can see, we will be going 8 deep next year. More than some years, less than others. For my money 1998 was our deepest team since I've been watching (1978)
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I do not know if it was depth (in its most crucial meaning), or coaching, or team commitment and selfless, or tenaciousness, or talent, or leadership, or a combination of these – and perhaps other – ingredients. However, our National Championship 2001 team deserves special mention for “depth.” When Carlos was injured in our next-to-last regular season ACC game against Maryland, the pundits all felt the Blue Devils were through. How wrong they were; despite this major impediment, Duke never lost again, winning both the ACC and the NCAA Championships. Players – especially Nate James – assumed vital roles and brilliantly succeeded, including Reggie Love and (IMHO) Duke’s all-time strongest leader and role-model, Shane Battier.
    The 2001 team also was incredibly talented. The five starters (Jason Williams, Duhon, Dunleavy, Boozer, and Battier) all were future NBA starters. Four of the five are still playing in the league. The team won all 6 NCAAT games by double digits. It's tough for any other Duke team to top that kind of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynne View Post
    The 2001 team also was incredibly talented. The five starters (Jason Williams, Duhon, Dunleavy, Boozer, and Battier) all were future NBA starters. Four of the five are still playing in the league. The team won all 6 NCAAT games by double digits. It's tough for any other Duke team to top that kind of talent.

I certainly agree re Duke's 2001 team being incredibly talented; however, my point extended beyond that. It would have been very easy for that team essentially to give up when Carlos was injured during the late-season Maryland game; in fact, that is exactly what the college hoops pundits expected would happen. Obviously it didn’t, and clearly Duke's results could not have been more spectacular. Players and coaches found other ways to win and assumed altered roles that eventually led to the ACC and National Championships. Toughness, adaptability and sheer unwillingness to be defeated or counted out became even more important than talent alone.

Talent is clearly important, but at some point in every truly winning season, leadership, selflessness, teamwork, tenacity, and determination become what separate good teams from great ones.

Last year’s UNC-CH team, for example, had considerable talent, but very little “character;” their results vividly demonstrate this thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

And if Kelly and Dawkins have made substantial improvement, we should have good productive depth. I feel pretty confident Curry is going to give us that as well.

Even with an improved Kelly, I still think our front court depth teeters just a bit. Thankfully we have the luxury of having Kyle move over to the post if need be, but if/when the Plumlees face foul issues Kelly is the only true big we have to go with. Not at all an alarming situation, just something to consider. I think the real luxury here is that we have guys coming off the bench this season that already have experience.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Well, to predict playing time one needs to consider many factors.

Irving - sounds like he is good but if he struggles and they have a valid backup for him how long will Coach K stick with him? If he sits, how does he handle that? I believe Curry is a legitimate replacement at PG.

Smith - he proved himself last year but if Curry's lack of playing time affects his play will Coach K use Curry more at the expense of Smith. What if sitting more makes him less effective? I think Nolan gets all the playing time he needs to be effective, if that means 35 minutes he gets 35 minutes.

Curry - how does he handle coming off the bench?

Thornton - blowouts.

Singler - he proved himself last year and there is no one that can force him to sit. He gets all the playing time he needs to be effective, if that means 35 minutes he gets 35 minutes.

Dawkins - was last year enough to mature him? Confidence was an issue last year, did he mature enough to fight off a poor performance or two? He must get confident and stay confident even though he may have to come off the bench and not get much playing time. IF he shows that getting only 10 minutes of playing time that he wants to and can contribute his playing time could increase.

Miles - he got some great experience last year and the running style should fit him. But if he gets into a good grove do you risk sitting him a lot? He might just be one of those guys who needs to play about 30 minutes a game for several games before he gets his grove on.

Mason - just how much did last year help him? Is he worried someone can come off the bench and take some of his playing time away from him, how does he react to that? I don't think we know how it will affect him, if he thinks he should get more time than he is getting does he go into a hole and hide or will he stand up and fight. I hope he fights but sometimes when one thinks they have been the chosen one and then looses that feeling they tend to crawl into a hole. I think confidence could be everything here.

Kelly - is he really ready? Some nice videos of his summer play but it appears the defense is lacking in those games. We know the ACC will be physical, is he a physical guy? He might be physical with 6'8" guys but is he the same with 6'10" guys who weight 20 pounds more than him?

Hairston - he is a freshman, is he ready for the physical play of the ACC? Most freshman are use to being the king of the hill, their high school days, and tend to get taken back by the physical play of the more mature college players.

Sitting has an effect on a person if they are use to playing a lot, take JJ as a prime example. His early years in the NBA were reflective of him not being used to coming off the bench. Thus, sitting for a while on the bench when you are not use to sitting and then having to come in a contribute could be the biggest factor in determining playing time. I think this could be a huge issue because Coach K likes to make other teams match up with Duke and doesn't spend much time trying to match other teams. Thus, certain games will call for smaller lineups and others will call of taller lineups. The question is then, how does the player react to sitting more than they are use to sitting, can they come in a contribute if they sat longer than they are use to sitting? We just don't know how the rotation will affect players and that makes predicting playing time impossible. You can but it is like trying to find a needle in the dark.
    Last edited by jjh1080; 08-05-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjh1080 View Post
    Irving - sounds like he is good but if he struggles and they have a valid backup for him how long will Coach K stick with him? If he sits, how does he handle that? I believe Curry is a legitimate replacement at PG.
    Don't worry, Coach K will stick with him. If he's not giving 100% effort it's possible he won't start a game or two, but that will be for motivational purposes, nothing else.

Smith - he proved himself last year but if Curry's lack of playing time affects his play will Coach K use Curry more at the expense of Smith. What if sitting more makes him less effective? I think Nolan gets all the playing time he needs to be effective, if that means 35 minutes he gets 35 minutes.

Singler - he proved himself last year and there is no one that can force him to sit. He gets all the playing time he needs to be effective, if that means 35 minutes he gets 35 minutes.
    Kyle will play a lot, but I'll be surprised if he averages as much as 35 minutes. I'll be shocked if Nolan plays that much.

Curry - how does he handle coming off the bench?
    Seth knows the roster, and he knows he'll get plenty of minutes. Why do you think he won't handle it well?

Dawkins - was last year enough to mature him? Confidence was an issue last year, did he mature enough to fight off a poor performance or two? He must get confident and stay confident even though he may have to come off the bench and not get much playing time. IF he shows that getting only 10 minutes of playing time that he wants to and can contribute his playing time could increase.
    I'll be very surprised if Andre is playing just 10 minutes a game. I think at least 15 and probably more.

Miles - he got some great experience last year and the running style should fit him. But if he gets into a good grove do you risk sitting him a lot? He might just be one of those guys who needs to play about 30 minutes a game for several games before he gets his grove on.
    Based on K's history of playing big men for fewer minutes and our loaded roster, there is no chance that Miles averages 30 minutes. My guess is he won't hit that figure even once in 2010-11, unless we have injury problems.

Mason - just how much did last year help him? Is he worried someone can come off the bench and take some of his playing time away from him, how does he react to that? * * *

Kelly - is he really ready? * * *

Hairston - he is a freshman, is he ready for the physical play of the ACC? * * *
    All of your questions are at least semi-legitimate, but I don't know why you take such a negative tone. I believe we'll have eight guys worthy of starters minutes and two guys worthy of solid reserve minutes. Obviously they won't all get that many minutes (unless we petition the NCAA to extend our games to 50 or 60 minutes), but the competition in practice and in games to earn playing time will be fierce. As far as I can tell, it's all good.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

The 1992 team brought Chief, Meek, Clark off the bench.

The 1991 team brought McCaffrey (!), either Davis/Koubek and Palmer/Buckley off the bench.

1999 had Nate, Burgess, Maggette off the bench - that gets my vote for deepest.
    Dunleavy was a starter.

Based on distribution of minutes its a toss up between 1991, 1998 and 1999 but I'd give the edge to 1991. All had 9 players with double digit minutes, and 1991 and 1998 had the 9 top players in every game, but 1991 had 9 players with a meaningful # of starts with McCaffrey and Hill getting the most starts after the big 3, and Davis, Antonio Lang, Koubek and Palmer coming off the bench more often than not. The 1998 team had Domzalsky and Price just below double digit minutes, but Brand's injury skews the distribution of minutes for this team. All 3 were very deep.

I don't believe this year's team will go deeper than 8, but we'll have to see how much Hariston is able to contribute as a freshman.
    Last edited by 77devil; 08-05-2010 at 07:09 PM.

The "redeem team" was pretty darn deep too.