Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Record that could be broken next year

What record is everyone looking forward to possibly be broken next year?

1. Coach K passing Dean Smith with wins?
    2. Coach K passing Bob Knight with wins?
    3. Kyle Singler becoming the all time leading scorer in Duke history?
    4. Kyle Singler becoming the all time leading scorer in ACC history?

I would love for all of them to happen next season.

GREAT thread. Make it a poll!

My vote: Coach K passing the Bobby. Passing the deaner will be sweet, but nothing beats being numero uno.

I guess this is the perfect time to start the "Kyle Singler quest for ~2,400 points" thread. JJ really isn't in range (over 1000 points), but I think he'll pass Laettner.

PPG to pass laettner:
    33 games:21ppg
    34: 20.4ppg
    35: 19.8ppg
    36: 19.3
    37: 18.7

Kyle averaged 17.7ppg last year.
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 08-01-2010 at 09:14 PM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ksimp112 View Post

K passing Knight, it means a deep tourney run. Honestly, whether it happens next year or not that's the one I'm most looking forward to anyways. I'm sure Knight has accepted it will happen, and since it's going to happen that will be an amazing moment to know for BK that it goes on to the man that he mentored. I'm sure it will be a very emotional moment for both of them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    PPG to pass laettner:
    33 games:21ppg
    34: 20.4ppg
    35: 19.8ppg
    36: 19.3
    37: 18.7
    38: 18.2
    39: 17.8
    40: 17.3
    Little more homework above and below

PPG to pass Dawkins:

33 games: 23.9ppg
    34: 23.2
    35: 22.5
    36: 21.9
    37: 21.3
    38: 20.8
    39: 20.2
    40: 19.7

JJ is basically out of reach. If we played 40 games this year, which is how many we played last year, Kyle would need to average 25.05ppg. Would be a pleasant surprise, but I think 20-21ppg is reasonable, and to expect more than that would seem pretty high to me. He was highly featured last year, obviously, and that was on a team with limited scoring threats. Kyrie, Nolan, and Kyle will be our big 3 this year (though I dont expect Kyrie to top Jon's PPG average from last year) and the MPs along with Curry, Dre, and Ryan provide significant upgrades in low-post scoring and bench scoring as compared to last year. Of course, this team will play much more uptempo and so that combined with the expected year-over-year improvement leads me to think he'll see a bump from his 17.7ppg average, but not more than a couple points.

So I think he'll pass Laettner and Dawkins will be in range, especially if we make deep runs in the ACC and NCAAs, as expected.

Silky "Who wants to look at Kyle's rebounds and blocks numbers and who wants to start a Nolan's chase for 2000 points thread?!"
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 08-01-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Silky "Who wants to look at Kyle's rebounds and blocks numbers and who wants to start a Nolan's chase for 2000 points thread?!"
    I actually looked at this yesterday and found some interesting stats within reach for Kyle:

http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/07...ank-after.html

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I actually looked at this yesterday and found some interesting stats within reach for Kyle:

Good write up, Airowe. Not to deviate too much, but what is the minimum number of assists required in order to qualify for the "All-time A:T" list at Duke? Is there a number?

I'd have to vote for passing the Dean. The points are special and - like Silky mentioned - it's hard to argue with Numero Uno, but whenever K does finally pass Dean it's...just...going...to...be...so...sweet...

As a side note...I noticed that UNC's season this past year dropped Roy's career coaching percentage below .800. Certainly enjoyed that...
    Last edited by JohnGalt; 08-02-2010 at 03:42 AM.

Break as many records as possible and win another National Championship!!!! Breaking records and hanging banners!!!! Great write up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Good write up, Airowe. Not to deviate too much, but what is the minimum number of assists required in order to qualify for the "All-time A:T" list at Duke? Is there a number?
    I'm not really sure about the minimum number, I'll have to look into it. I got all my numbers from the Duke Media Guide, maybe it says something in there.

I'd have to vote for passing the Dean. The points are special and - like Silky mentioned - it's hard to argue with Numero Uno, but whenever K does finally pass Dean it's...just...going...to...be...so...sweet...
    Yep, and it should happen rather early on, and likely on Coach K Court.

As a side note...I noticed that UNC's season this past year dropped Roy's career coaching percentage below .800. Certainly enjoyed that...
    Let's hope that continues to dip....

Quote Originally Posted by ksimp112 View Post

The number one record I want broken is Duke's 4 National Championships. Get #5 and #1 and #2 will follow!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The number one record I want broken is Duke's 4 National Championships. Get #5 and #1 and #2 will follow!
    Not quite. #1 happens early. If #2 happens, we've had a really long and satisfying season and a reasonably high likelihood for #5 to follow/happen, just like it did this year with 35 wins.

The additional significance of #5, if/when it occurs, will be to break the "logjam" at the 2nd position for coaches with the most MBB NC and vault into a tie with the school-down-the-road in that category, bakery awards notwithstanding.

scoring records

I hate to get so giddy this early before the season even starts, but I think this team has the potential to put up some serious points. Can anyone dig up the record for points scored in a season? I think we have a shot at that. Our 98 and 99 teams averaged close to 90 a game if I recall correctly.

Also, if there is a stat for "percentage of field goals that come from dunks," I think Mason could break it this year 8-)

goals

Interesting thread. Goals I'd like to see accomplished (in the order I rate their importance):

(1) win Duke -- and Coach K's -- fifth national title. For the school, this would allow Duke to tie Indiana and UNC for third place on the alltime list (behind UCLA-11; Kentucky-7). For Coach K, it would break the tie with Rupp and give him second place all by himself (behind Wooden at 10 titles).

(2) win Duke's 19th -- and Coach K's 13th -- ACC championship. That would widen Duke's lead in ACC titles over UNC (17 titles) and it would allow Coach K to tie Dean Smith with 13 titles.

(3) win a regional championship (which means reaching the Final Four): It would be Duke's 16th, second all-time to UNC at 18. It would be Coach K's 12th -- breaking his tie with Dean Smith at 11 and tying John Wooden at 12 for first place alltime.

(4) win the ACC regular season championship: not as important as the official ACC championship, won in the tourney, but an accomplishment nevertheless

I list these goals first, since they are championships ... and I believe you ALWAYS play for championships first.

Lessor team goals include winning 30-plus games for the 12th time (Duke's 11 30-win seasons are already No. 1 in NCAA history) and finishing No. 1 in the final AP poll for the eighth time.

The top individual goals:

(1) For Singler to become Duke's ninth consensus national player of the year.

(2) For Smith to become a consensus first-time All-American

(3) For K to pass Rupp for third place on the coaching list (needs nine wins); Smith for second place (needs 12 wins) and Knight for first place (needs 35 wins). I list this third because all of those things WILL happen sooner or later. Although if the first two don't happen this year, it will be a disastrous year. The last isn't vital THIS YEAR. K could still win 33 games this year and we could accomplish our big goals.

(4) Any individual statistical goals -- Singler needs to get 2,000 points, which he will if he stays healthy. After that, it's no big deal if he catches Laettner or even Dawkins on the scoring list. His place in Duke history will be defined by his 1 or 2 national championships, not by his cumulative point total. It would be neat if Nolan made a run at 2,000 points, but it's not likely to happen (he needs 853 to get there ... that would be the second-highest single season total in Duke history).

Finally: I would like to see Austin Rivers sign with Duke in November, then I would selfishly hope that Kyrie Irving and Mason Plumlee play well enough to be certain NBA lottery picks ... but that both decide to return to Duke for the 2011-12 season so they can try to win a third national title in a row.

Do all these things and 2011 will be a perfect season.

Good post, but I think you may be a little off with Singler's rebounds.

I was surprised to find out that Kyle would have to beat his best rebounding season total by 20 boards just to move into the Top 20 career rebounders at Duke.
    I have Singler already at 762 rebounds, already enough for 17th all-time at Duke. If he matches his 280 rebounds from last season it give him a total of 1042, for 6th all-time at Duke. That said, it may be tough to reach last year's numbers, since Singler played about as many minutes as physically possible last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post

I have Singler already at 762 rebounds, already enough for 17th all-time at Duke. If he matches his 280 rebounds from last season it give him a total of 1042, for 6th all-time at Duke. That said, it may be tough to reach last year's numbers, since Singler played about as many minutes as physically possible last season.
    Thanks for the correction Duvall, that explains my surprise. Kyle has a chance to make a strong run at some lofty numbers in Duke history, but as Olympic Fan points out, he will be judged more by his tournament wins than individual accolades. Still, what do we remember JJ for more, isn't it his scoring prowess moreso than his tournament resume?

Thanks for the correction Duvall, that explains my surprise. Kyle has a chance to make a strong run at some lofty numbers in Duke history, but as Olympic Fan points out, he will be judged more by his tournament wins than individual accolades. Still, what do we remember JJ for more, isn't it his scoring prowess moreso than his tournament resume?
    Only because his tourney resume is a little lackluster. If he had won a Championship it might be different.

s. Still, what do we remember JJ for more, isn't it his scoring prowess moreso than his tournament resume?
    JJ's tournament resume isn't much to be remembered...if he had brought home the bacon certainly it would be more lauded than his point scoring...what do people remember laettner more for? huge numbers? or hitting a game winning shot enroute to a national title?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Also, if there is a stat for "percentage of field goals that come from dunks," I think Mason could break it this year 8-)
    That seems pretty hard to beat after McBob's freshman year. Considering that MP2 has expanded his offensive arsenal, I hope the % of dunks is minimal!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

rebounds

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post

Duvall, your numbers are right -- Kyle needs 238 rebounds (a total he's topped the last two years) to get to 1,000 career rebounds. Assuming he gets to 2,000 career points (he needs 233 there), he'll become just the fourth Duke player (along with Gminski, Laettner and Ferry) to be a 2,000 point/1,000 rebound guy.

Not sure I agree about his total going down (unless Duke flames in postseason and plays less games).

While I agree that his minutes-played might decline slightly (but only slightly), I think the tempo of the games will increase as Duke plays a faster pace -- which means more missed shots and more rebounds.

It's worth nothing that Kyle actually averaged more rebounds as a sophomore, playing less minutes, than he did as a junior (about the only statistical drop in his game) -- a drop I attribute to his switch from post position to wing and Duke's slower tempo (Duke games averaged 138 points a game in 2010 ... 143 a game in 2009.

I'm guessing we'll play at a tempo closer to the Jason Williams' years, when Duke games averaged 160 points a game, or the Hurley years, when Duke was also at 160 points a game for four years.

That means a lot more missed shots and a lot more rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    JJ's tournament resume isn't much to be remembered...if he had brought home the bacon certainly it would be more lauded than his point scoring...what do people remember laettner more for? huge numbers? or hitting a game winning shot enroute to a national title?
    That depends on if you are asking a Kentucky fan or anyone else. In Kentucky they would rather see Laettner as a "bully" stomping on their chests.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    That depends on if you are asking a Kentucky fan or anyone else. In Kentucky they would rather see Laettner as a "bully" stomping on their chests.
    i mean....he did....in my most honest opinion, he should have been ejected....
    1200. DDMF.