Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What are some of the most memorable Duke games?

Sorry if we already have a thread like this, but what are the best and closest games in recent Duke history. Here's a few examples:

Duke vs. Maryland - Miracle Minute
    Duke vs. Virginia - Dockery Buzzer Beater
    Duke vs. Kentucky - The Shot

I kinda liked that Duke-Butler game we played a few months back.

UNC at Duke, 1995
    UNC at Duke, 1997
    UNC at Duke, 1998
    Duke at UNC, 1999
    Duke at UNC, 2001
    UNC vs. Duke, 2003
    Duke at UNC, 2004
    UNC at Duke, 2005
    Duke at UNC, 2008
    UNC at Duke, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    UNC at Duke, 1995
    UNC at Duke, 1997
    UNC at Duke, 1998
    Duke at UNC, 1999
    Duke at UNC, 2001
    UNC vs. Duke, 2003
    Duke at UNC, 2004
    UNC at Duke, 2005
    Duke at UNC, 2008
    UNC at Duke, 2010
    haha nice, all Duke vs UNC games

Duke UNLV 1991

The great revenge game. Was litterally unable to sit for the whole game paced back and fourth and a I was only 12.

championship game in 99 is etched into my brain.....unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by wtm001 View Post
    Sorry if we already have a thread like this, but what are the best and closest games in recent Duke history. Here's a few examples:

I was at the Duke vs. Maryland- Miracle Minute which was outstanding. That is the game that Boozer's mom got hit with a bottle at the end of the game. Remember weeks later Duke was down by 22 points in the Final Four to Maryland and came back to win and two days later win the National Championship.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by wtm001 View Post

The opponent in this game was Virginia Tech. Perhaps not so memorable?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Marin, Johnny D, Hurley for 3!

I am just going to throw a random one out there that has always stuck in my mind ...

In 1990, Arizona came to Cameron and after a tough game, duke looked like it was going to lose, trailing and with Abdelnaby fouled out and Laettner near fouled out and Arizona's big, front line of Brian Williams, Sean Rooks etal poised to do even more damage. But Phil Henderson scored big bucket after big bucket down the stretch and we somehow managed to guard their bigs with a lineup that had Robert Brickey and Brian Davis guarding way bigger dudes. The impossibility of it made the win that much more memorable.

define "recent"

Well, you said recent, then included a game from 10 years ago, and a game from 20 years ago.

There are some fun games that have been played - that slip under the radar because they didn't mean as much. Some of my favorites of those are:

• Duke at UVA - 1997(?): Wojo goes the length of the court while the clock doesn't run, the refs do a stopwatch on the replay, and count the basket - and the game is over
    • Duke at NCSU - 2008: Yes, really. I had the fortune to attend this game, and it actually felt like a big game. THe 8 point comeback in the last 2 minutes made it even better
    • Duke at UNC - 2001: Days after Boozer breaks his foot, Duke heads to UNC to face Brendan Haywood and Kris Lang. Coach puts in a version of the amoeba defense 1-1-3 zone with Shane basically having free rein to do whatever he wants. Doherty sits his big men practically the whole 2nd half
    • 2003 ACC Championship - Freshman JJ leads a 15 point comeback against NC State -- nuff said
    • 1996 Duke UCLA - an 8-8 Duke team faces the defending national champs in Cameron on a brilliant spring day. My favorite Cameron sign of all time spends the game behind the UCLA bench: U'd Come in Last in the ACC. Duke wins by 20.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The opponent in this game was Virginia Tech. Perhaps not so memorable?
    Whoops, I knew it was Virginia Tech, I just forgot to add the Tech part

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Well, you said recent, then included a game from 10 years ago, and a game from 20 years ago.

There are some fun games that have been played - that slip under the radar because they didn't mean as much. Some of my favorites of those are:

• Duke at UVA - 1997(?): Wojo goes the length of the court while the clock doesn't run, the refs do a stopwatch on the replay, and count the basket - and the game is over
    • Duke at NCSU - 2008: Yes, really. I had the fortune to attend this game, and it actually felt like a big game. THe 8 point comeback in the last 2 minutes made it even better
    • Duke at UNC - 2001: Days after Boozer breaks his foot, Duke heads to UNC to face Brendan Haywood and Kris Lang. Coach puts in a version of the amoeba defense 1-1-3 zone with Shane basically having free rein to do whatever he wants. Doherty sits his big men practically the whole 2nd half
    • 2003 ACC Championship - Freshman JJ leads a 15 point comeback against NC State -- nuff said
    • 1996 Duke UCLA - an 8-8 Duke team faces the defending national champs in Cameron on a brilliant spring day. My favorite Cameron sign of all time spends the game behind the UCLA bench: U'd Come in Last in the ACC. Duke wins by 20.
    Sorry maybe I should have left recent out. Thanks for reminding me about the NC State game from 2008, I completely forgot about it.

The good: 2009 ACC Championship, versus Florida State. We go crazy, drilling 12 threes behind 29 from Scheyer and 27 from Henderson and Duke regains its rightful place as champion of the greatest basketball tournament on earth. After Carolina had won it twice in '07 and '08, the win was that much sweeter.

The bad: Wake Forest, 2OT, 2003. Duhon goes OFF, drilling multiple second half triples from 30 feet plus, but we fall in an absolute war of attrition as the Winston-Salem officials begin dropping our guys one by one via foul trouble. Never have I seen such a drawn out and exhausting finish, not even the '95 Duke-Carolina epic. Even with the loss, it still stands as one of the defining games of Chris Duhon at Duke. He regained his shooting touch that night, the one we all knew he had, but that the rest of the nation had rarely seen his junior season.

Favorite games are the ones that I've witnessed in person. The FF game against WVU and the NC game against Butler. Every time we've shut Greivis up in Cameron in my 3 years at Duke. The icing, though, was the Carolina game this year.

Some that come to mind for me are

1986 Duke vs Navy in NCAA tournament. Navy had David Robinson and Duke dominated winning by 20. Dawkins had a great game with a spectacular reverse dunk over Robinson.
    1991 Duke vs UNLV
    1988 Duke vs #1 Temple in the NCAA tournament.
    200? Duke vs Viginia when JJ scored 40pts on 10-13 shooting

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear
    2006. 40 points on 11-of-13 shooting. Probably the best display we ever saw from Duke's all-time greatest shooter. Even better than his absolute destruction of No. 2 Texas in MSG, in which J.J. tied a school record with nine threes.

My favorite in-person game: nothing tops Butler in Indy. If Heaven were our own vision of paradise, that'd be mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    Some that come to mind for me are

1986 Duke vs Navy in NCAA tournament. Navy had David Robinson and Duke dominated winning by 20. Dawkins had a great game with a spectacular reverse dunk over Robinson.
    1991 Duke vs UNLV
    1988 Duke vs #1 Temple in the NCAA tournament.
    It was in 2006, and he was 11-13 (8-10 from 3) and 10-11 from the line. The 41 he hung on Texas in a 31-point beatdown earlier in the season in a 1 vs. 2 matchup was rather memorable, as well.

"Duke at UNC - 2001: Days after Boozer breaks his foot, Duke heads to UNC to face Brendan Haywood and Kris Lang. Coach puts in a version of the amoeba defense 1-1-3 zone with Shane basically having free rein to do whatever he wants. Doherty sits his big men practically the whole 2nd half"

and the replay in the acc semi's.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "Duke at UNC - 2001: Days after Boozer breaks his foot, Duke heads to UNC to face Brendan Haywood and Kris Lang. Coach puts in a version of the amoeba defense 1-1-3 zone with Shane basically having free rein to do whatever he wants. Doherty sits his big men practically the whole 2nd half"

and the replay in the acc semi's.
    The replay was in the ACC title. The semis game was against Maryland, which was another classic, won by a Nate James tip-in after Williams layup rolled off the rim. We had three really epic wins against Maryland that year - Gone in 54 Seconds, the Tourney Tip-in, and the 22-point comeback in the Final Four.

I'm surprised only one has mentioned 82-50

The two of my favorites are some of those the OP has mentioned: Dockery's Shot Against VT and Duke's Miracle Minute against Maryland, led by Jason Williams.

Jeff Capel's Shot was also one of my favorites, even though we did end up losing.