Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheerleading (Legally) Not a Sport

A federal judge ruled today that competitive cheerleading is not a sport:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38347400/ns/us_news-life/

While the ruling will upset some, it's actually a victory for gender equity. Some schools have tried to use cheerleading to balance their Title IX books (which basically dictates that you have to have as many female sports/athletes/scholarships as male sports/athletes/scholarships).

Before anybody jumps me on my simplified Title IX expanation, I KNOW it's more complicatedn than that ... you can achieve Title IX compliance in other ways, but basically it comes down to equal numbers on both sides of the gender equation.

I've been thinking about this a bit -- why is this a good thing? I'm certainly open to the suggestion, but I'm not convinced right off the bat. The idea is that schools shouldn't be able to "balance the books" using competitive cheer, but why not? Isn't the idea to open up the general benefits of sports to women? Is there something inherent about competitive cheer that makes it less beneficial than sports like fencing or golf? It certain requires a lot of time, skill, athletic ability and teamwork.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I've been thinking about this a bit -- why is this a good thing? I'm certainly open to the suggestion, but I'm not convinced right off the bat. The idea is that schools shouldn't be able to "balance the books" using competitive cheer, but why not? Isn't the idea to open up the general benefits of sports to women? Is there something inherent about competitive cheer that makes it less beneficial than sports like fencing or golf? It certain requires a lot of time, skill, athletic ability and teamwork.
    From the article:

"An activity can be considered a sport under Title IX if it meets specific criteria. It must have coaches, practices, competitions during a defined season and a governing organization. The activity also must have competition as its primary goal — not merely the support of other athletic teams."

It sounds like the big problem is governing organization at the collegiate level.

If cheerleading is a sport, what is its objective? Is it completely based on ratings from judges, like figure skating? I think we have enough sports like that.

I personally think Cheerleading is a sport. Cheerleaders are athletes and should receive scholarships !!

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    If cheerleading is a sport, what is its objective? Is it completely based on ratings from judges, like figure skating? I think we have enough sports like that.
    Not at the NCAA level - the only ones I can think of are gymnastics, diving and FBS football.

If cheerleading is a sport, what is its objective?
    To beat the other cheer squads in competition. What else would the objective be?

To beat the other cheer squads in competition.
    Incomplete answer. How is this accomplished? Examples:

Baseball: Scoring more runs than the opposition, whereby runs are scored by touching home plate after reaching base, without being put out.
    Golf (stroke play): Completing a stipulated round, or set of rounds, in fewer strokes than all other competitors do.
    Tennis: Winning more sets than the opponent, under a scoring system whereby points are awarded when one's opponent is unable play the ball.
    Track: Running (or racewalking, etc.) a given distance in less time than all other competitors do.

What is the equivalent method in cheerleading? If there is a scoring system, how is scoring determined?

Baseball: Scoring more runs than the opposition, whereby runs are scored by touching home plate after reaching base, without being put out.
    Golf (stroke play): Completing a stipulated round, or set of rounds, in fewer strokes than all other competitors do.
    Tennis: Winning more sets than the opponent, under a scoring system whereby points are awarded when one's opponent is unable play the ball.
    Track: Running (or racewalking, etc.) a given distance in less time than all other competitors do.

What is the equivalent method in cheerleading? If there is a scoring system, how is scoring determined?
    (Disclaimer - so as not to sound overly involved in cheerleading - but I have been a serial cheerleader dater since I played pee wee football - I LOVE cheerleaders).

Yep - they have judges - just like in the movie "Bring it On".

As far as objective is concerned - they have many but the first of which is to actually LEAD cheers. Get it? Duh... LOL!

But seriously, they are they for the crowd participation and they can also help set the mood for an event. They have to prepare for the event just as any other athlete would - even down to taping themselves up.

When it comes to competition they are graded on many things which are the culmination of a great cheer squad. They have all star squads, travelling squads, B teams, and the whole nine that teams would have.

Personally, it's sport to me. They run, lift weights, have routines (which are the equivalent of plays in my book), and they even have to audible based on what's going on in the event.

And I KNOW I'm leaving lots of other responsibilities out.

You go to a competition, and score more points than your opponent.

I do not pretend to understand the scoring system or ground rules, but having watched videos of my cousin's squad at a large competition, I did not see any distinction between that competition and the floor portion of a gymnastics competition (except that multiple women were on the mat at the same time).

ETA: here is a link to a score sheet used in competitions. Other materials can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post

But seriously, they are they for the crowd participation and they can also help set the mood for an event.
    For me, that's the problem with calling it a sport. If, as you say, they're there to set the mood for an event, then almost by definition, they're not the event, and they're not the participants in the event. The participants in the event itself are the ones playing a sport.

And just because one can compete at something, try to improve at it, figure out a way to keep score, develop skills, etc. doesn't make it a sport. My son tries to beat me every day at Go Fish and Chutes and Ladders, and he's getting better every day at them. Doesn't make them sports, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    For me, that's the problem with calling it a sport. If, as you say, they're there to set the mood for an event, then almost by definition, they're not the event, and they're not the participants in the event. The participants in the event itself are the ones playing a sport.
    If the teams competing in a competitive cheer event are not participants in the event, what are they? You do realize we are not talking about scoring the squad on the sidelines at a football game, right?

You go to a competition, and score more points than your opponent.

here.
    Just like in bridge or Yahtzee, right? Except the rules in bridge and Yahtzee are objective.

Also, you seem to be conceding the necessity of an opponent. If a cheerleading squad is on the sidelines only showing support for its own team, it is therefore not participating in a sport.

If a cheerleading squad is on the sidelines only showing support for its own team, it is therefore not participating in a sport.
    What does that have to do with competitive cheer?

FWIW, it might help the cheerleading advocates if they could get their "sport" recognized by the NCAA.

Right now, the NCAA recognizes 33 competitive sports (or at least holds championships in 33 sports) in everything from football to gymnastics to rifle. But no cheerleading.

I'm not a lawyer, but when I look at the judge's ruling that it was not a sport, it looks like his argument was that there is not an established competitive structure for it to be considered a sport for Title IX purposes.

Again, I think this ruling was a victory for advocates of women's sports -- since the defending schools were trying to substitute cheerleading as a "sport" in place of something such as softball or gymnastics or field hockey to meet Title IX requirements.

If the teams competing in a competitive cheer event are not participants in the event, what are they? You do realize we are not talking about scoring the squad on the sidelines at a football game, right?
    It was actually the person whose post I quoted who seemed to be referencing the squad on the sidelines at a football game, when he referred to "setting the mood" for an event.

But when talking about "competitive cheer" (ugh - I had never heard that term before and I hate it) it still is taking the original intent of cheerleading, which is the squad on the sidelines at the football game, and trying to make something of it that wasn't really its intent. They do this by concocting a way to keep score of cheerleading and other ways to make it more of a "competition."

That isn't enough for me to feel like it's a sport. Just because you can figure out a way to keep score and therefore compete at something doesn't make it a sport. If I said I was going to set up a competition and see who the best drywaller was in Los Angeles, and all the guys could come in and see who could put up drywall the fastest, whose work was judged to be of the highest quality with the least seams, the best nailing, or whatever, and we figured out a way to grade (meaning, score) them on all that, does that mean drywalling is a sport?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    If I said I was going to set up a competition and see who the best drywaller was in Los Angeles, and all the guys could come in and see who could put up drywall the fastest, whose work was judged to be of the highest quality with the least seams, the best nailing, or whatever, and we figured out a way to grade (meaning, score) them on all that, does that mean drywalling is a sport?
    Yes.

What are swimming and sprinting other than non-sport activities modified turned into sports through rules and keeping score? Or boxing, for that matter?

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Cheerleading, boxing, diving, gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and figure skating are all art forms attempting to be sports by being given numerical, but subjective, judging. The participants are talented, athletic, work incredibly hard, but that doesn't make what they do a sport. Boxing could at least try to lay claim to it if it went to a simple either knock the guy out, or each landed punch is a point(yes, there has to be judgement about landing a punch, but its an objective standard that subjective judges would be assessing, similar to fencing and various martial arts). Technically, ski jumping also could be lumped in there as well since it includes both a score for distance and for what amounts to artistry. If I go to 5 ballets in a week and after each one hold up signs saying 9.6, 9.1, 8.3, 9.4, 8.8 it doesn't make ballet a sport. Nor does it diminish the appreciation for all that is involved in putting on the performance. Its just not a sport. Cheerleading is pretty much the same, talented performers, but of art, not sport.

Just like in bridge or Yahtzee, right? Except the rules in bridge and Yahtzee are objective.
    Yeah, just like that. Except completely different, since it requires exceptional physical skill. Just like, you know, sports. Instead of card or dice games. Which require precisely no physical skills. Other than that, your analogy is perfect.

Also, you seem to be conceding the necessity of an opponent. If a cheerleading squad is on the sidelines only showing support for its own team, it is therefore not participating in a sport.
    Conceding? Again, you realize that I am not talking about the squad on the sideline? I am talking about organized competitions where different teams show up in a gym and compete against each other based on established criteria.

You seem to be talking about something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Cheerleading, boxing, diving, gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and figure skating are all art forms attempting to be sports by being given numerical, but subjective, judging.
    Fair enough, since that is consistent. Given your criteria, should gymnastics and diving be eliminated from consideration for Title IX purposes.