Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Watched this last night, continuing our Covid catchup on old movies and our run through the Nolan catalog.

I really like Inception as a metaphor for filmmaking. The filmmaker sets up the rules and is the architect, but the viewer projects their own stuff into the experience.

I'm also on team "it was a dream" because I think Nolan gave us the hints for how to tell if you are in a dream.

- Did it start in the middle? Do you have any idea how you got there? Check. He is in the middle of all this corporate espionage with no explanation or backstory
    - Does the world make sense? No I don't think so. Why is Michael Caine in Paris and the US? Why is Saito able to simply clear criminal charges in seconds with a phone call? Why are the kids always wearing the same clothes

My take is that Mal was correct. They were still in a dream. She woke herself up with the suicide. he is still stuck and can't get out. This is why "she" keeps trying to kill him, to wake him up.

Nothing like a (nearly) 10 year thread bump.
    Couldn’t Mal just set up easy kicks to get him out?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Couldn’t Mal just set up easy kicks to get him out?
    Not sure. Can't say I'm clear on the rules of kicks. Maybe she could. My daughter (movie watching partner in crime) is 100% sure it was not a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Not sure. Can't say I'm clear on the rules of kicks. Maybe she could. My daughter (movie watching partner in crime) is 100% sure it was not a dream.
    I actually like the whole thing was a dream idea. It makes the movie even better for me and I absolutely love this movie. Maybe since time goes slow in the dream world, Mal hasn’t had enough time to set the kick or kicks up. Either way, really cool.