For sale: One big NBA star. Price is cheap!

Supposedly, because they won the lottery and will be adding Greg Oden to their front line, the Blazers are quite eager to be rid of the troubled but talented Zach Randolph.

For those of you who do not pay attention to the goings on all the way over in Portland, Zach put up some sick numbers this past season. Almost 24 points per game and 10+ rebonds per game. The only other players in the league to average 20 and 10 were Duncan, Garnett, Boozer, and Chris Bosh -- so that's some elite company.

He also has 4 years left on his contract with about 62 million dollars still to be paid-- about $15 million per year. Not many teams can afford to take on a contract like that. And then there is the other "baggage" -- the sexual assault rap with a stripper, the little incident where 2 cars he owned were racing against each other in a 20 MPH residential zone, the time he punched out a teammate... little stuff like that.

Anyway, the word is that Zach can be had for cheap!! I am certain a mid-fisrt round draft pick would pry him away from the Blazers.

So, I've got an idea-- Atlanta should package the #3 and #11 picks in the draft to Portland for Zach and Jarrett Jack. Heck, they might not even need to throw in the #11-- they could probably get both guys for the #3 pick and still have #11 to take a big man like Hawes or a PG like Crittendon or Acie LAw (Conley will be long gone by #11, I am convinced).

The Hawks do have cap room (though not enough, they'd have to send a contract or two to Portland to make this work). Zach lives in Atlanta in the off-season.

--Jason

A bad PR move

Nice strategizing, Jason, but welcoming a player with all those "little" problems seems a bad move for the franchise, if it hopes to build a fan base. Don't forget that we're already pretty sick of the Vick problems. I don't think this city has the tolerance for another bad apple right now.

That said, I'll admit that the only way to get me to a Hawks game already is to pay for the tickets, the drinks, AND dinner beforehand!
    No soup for you!

Why would the Hawks want to take Z. Randolph, his hugh contract, and off the court issues, when they have Sheldon and Marvin Williams to play the power forward position and they can draft their point guard in Conley with the #3 pick, and keep their #11 pick

paging the LA Lakers. . .

it'd be a heck of a lot cheaper than what they would need to get rid of for Jermaine Oneal or Kevin Garnett

Lakers? I'm thinking the Bulls must be salivating to get a guy like Randolph. Deng, Gordon, Heinrich, Wallace and Randolph has NBA finals written all over it...

Im with Jason on this one. . .

As soon as I saw the draft order, I knew that Zach and Rashard Lewis were going to be available. My first thought was that Zach would be perfect with Atlanta, if they dont have to give up the number 3 pick to get him. Atlanta is loaded at Small Forward and pairing Zach with Shel would make a formidable front line. The Bulls dont need another power forward, they need a true center, someone like Hawes in the draft (at #9), letting PJ Brown go and moving Ben Wallace to the power forward slot.

I look for the Heat and the Knicks to make a move for Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    Lakers? I'm thinking the Bulls must be salivating to get a guy like Randolph. Deng, Gordon, Heinrich, Wallace and Randolph has NBA finals written all over it...
    The word on the street is that the Bulls will try to shop Duhon and his expiring contract in trade deals this off-season. Ever since Gordon started stepping up, Chris has become an expendable piece for the Bulls.

-Jason "hmmm, can anyone think of a team that needs a PG and some steady leadership?" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    Why would the Hawks want to take Z. Randolph, his hugh contract, and off the court issues, when they have Sheldon and Marvin Williams to play the power forward position and they can draft their point guard in Conley with the #3 pick, and keep their #11 pick
    Zach can and does play C in the NBA. Marvin is more suited to the 3 than the 4-- which is one of the Hawks big problems because Josh Smith is also a 3. Also, Shel is playing more C than PF for Atlanta.

Zach and Shel on your front line is a strong PF/C combination that will work hard on the boards, even if neither of them stand 7-feet.

No way I trade the #3 for Zach-- maybe the #11 and I'd probably try to get them to take Speedy's bad contract off my hands and give me Jarrett Jack in exchange too.

-Jason "hmm, would this work?" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No way I trade the #3 for Zach-- maybe the #11 and I'd probably try to get them to take Speedy's bad contract off my hands and give me Jarrett Jack in exchange too.

-Jason "hmm, would this work?" Evans
    Yup, just checked RealGM and the following trade works:

Jarrett Jack and Zach Randolph to Atlanta for Speedy Claxton, Lorenzen Wright, and the #11 pick in the draft.

No way Atlanta makes this deal-- it makes too much sense.

-Jason "the bad PR of getting Zach might be outweighed in Atlanta by the good PR of getting hometown boy Jarrett Jack" Evans

ummm, JE lemme guess

the Hawks??? Maybe they could work on a threesome, uh er, i mean three-way trade the number 3 pick to the Bulls for Duhon, the Bulls send Brown to the Blazers and the Blazers send Randolph to the Hawks. There would need to be some cash and/or other players in those deals too to make it work. Or the Hawks could just strait up trade the #3 pick to the Bulls for Duhon and cash or somebody else. The Hawks would get a steady PG and a guy who has played with Williams before and could still draft Law at #11. Duhon has made strides in his shooting %s but must continue to bring up his scoring efficiency if he wants to be a legit starting PG, his ability to run a game is superior to T-Lue. How bout this, Lue and #3 pick for Duhon, the Bulls 1st pick and Safalosha? Hawks would get a formerly 2nd round pick, a pretty good outside shooter, and another, later 1st round pick. The Bulls would get the #3 (not sure who they would be looking at) and decent-if-underszied PG to replace Duhon.

Duhon plus . . . ?

Duhon, I like that alot. Randolph I do not like, for the reasons stated and then some. The white forward from Chicago, whose name escapes me, who has now become expendable, I also like alot. Jason, do you like Duhon and what's his name, Evans, can't you see them playing with JSmooth and JJ (the other JJ), with a center-by-committee to be named later. Marvin and Shelden off the bench up front, Chill at guard. If so, work out the details on the other end. Not my forte.

Trade rumor d'jour is Randolph to the Wizards for Jamison straight up.

The Wiz need some post scoring, and the Blazers will need a big expiring contract if they want to be able to sign Aldridge, Roy and Oden to the max/near-max contracts they will be commanding in the upcoming years.

Additional upside is that the Blazers get a rid of a real negative locker room presence, and replace it will a real positive one.

Don't see why the Wizards would want to give up Jamison, he played incredible in their short tenure in the playoffs.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by kydevil View Post
    Don't see why the Wizards would want to give up Jamison, he played incredible in their short tenure in the playoffs.
    Plus, Antawn has been one of the real clubhouse leaders. He keeps Gilbert from drifting too far out into left field. (Too bad he hasn't gotten Haywood to get his head out of the sand...)
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Haywood or the other guy: get one

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Plus, Antawn has been one of the real clubhouse leaders. He keeps Gilbert from drifting too far out into left field. (Too bad he hasn't gotten Haywood to get his head out of the sand...)
    Speculation, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if Haywood wasn't rightly as feed up with Jordon's "Big Three" as I am. Jordon was influenced by Pete and the Princeton, but he has his old coach from Rutgers sitting at his side. That guy was all about "stars" not no stinkin passing offense in which everybody gets to handle and create. Jordon's concept of the other "two" is that they are mules, who should know their roles and do them gladly. Right!

If the Hawks could get Haywood, or the other big who I've been advocating that they grab for years and is a warrier but whose name escapes me in this moment, they should jump. Either will play much better elsewhere. Arenas, as glorious as he is to watch, can not pass the ball inside, he can not do it. If he is asked to, he pouts, and the rest of his game disappears.

Haywood and the other guy hate one another; one has to be available, and, I would guess, on the cheap. The Hawks should grab one.

Etan Thomas.

I don't see Wiz trading Jamison for Randolph straight up.

I just don't think Abe would go for a trade in which a bad actor comes in and a good guy goes out. He still feels burned by the Rasheed Wallace, Rod Strcikland, etc era. But . . .

I wouldn't mind seeing them move Haywood + Thomas or Antonio Daniels + their #1 pick for Randolph -- hard to see Haywood and Thomas moving together though, and I like Thomas

Good news for Wiz fans is that Grunfeld is one of the few GMs who actually knows what he is doing:

Sign Arenas
    Trade Kwame for Butler
    Don't overpay Larry Hughes
    Sign Songaila
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little