Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Kelly

Ryan Kelly

Just came across this in the Charlotte Observer.

Blend in Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith, plus Andre Dawkins, Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee, Seth Curry and beefed-up Ryan Kelly (232 pounds), and it's easy to see how the Devils could win their fifth title.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#ixzz0sFYmSpqV

Great to hear that he has put on some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    Just came across this in the Charlotte Observer.

Blend in Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith, plus Andre Dawkins, Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee, Seth Curry and beefed-up Ryan Kelly (232 pounds), and it's easy to see how the Devils could win their fifth title.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#ixzz0sFYmSpqV

Great to hear that he has put on some weight.
    Barbecue, barbells, and beer...works every time.

Well, maybe the beer is not a good choice for athletes in training.

Ryan Kelly as the surprise player of the year?

Beer makes everything better, even athletes.

Kelly's best hope of playing was to beef up and it should serve him well. His strength was a bit of an issue on the blocks, but at 230 or even 225, he will be tougher down low. I have 5 pounds I could give him With Ryan being one of three players 6-10 or over, his time will come.

with so many different questions that need to be answered and players that need to step up or into new roles, it's nice to read that RK is doing one of the things necessary for him to make a bigger impact as a Soph. Having Ryan as another effective weapon will only make us that much tougher. Go Ryan, Go Duke!!!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Coach K said last year that Ryan was very ill over the summer and that impeded his development, both skill wise and body wise. If he's really 225, that is a great sign that he can be a solid backup bigman for us, especially since we need him to rebound.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Given our thinness in the post, a bulked up Ryan Kelly could be critical. As most on these boards seem to think we'll start/play a lot of the "big" line-up, which includes both MP's and KS playing at the same time, we then don't have an obvious back-up in the post should either Plumlee get injured or run into foul or fatigue problems. RK could really play a key role, and I expect he'll get more minutes than many people realize at this point.

Still, will be eager to see his improved strength and willingness to bang down low. This is clearly a good sign though.

I'd worried that depth in the post was a real achillies heel for us potentially. Feeling better now.

K discussed Kelly a couple of times yesterday. He did reference his weight as being in the 230-234 range and that the additional weight would make him better able to compete inside.

K also stated that Kelly's ability to shoot and pass from the perimeter would draw out opposing big men and open up the floor for the perimeter players to go inside.

I don't think there's any doubt that Duke views Kelly as an important component of next season's team.

Kelly and Singler

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    K also stated that Kelly's ability to shoot and pass from the perimeter would draw out opposing big men and open up the floor for the perimeter players to go inside.
    Right, which is why I'd think Kyle would often be at the 3 when posting up. Have Kelly outside, either at the 3 point line or the free throw line, and there will be a lot of room inside, either for Kyle to post up, or for one of the guards to drive.
    Season can't start soon enough.

He was one of the speakers at Duke Basketball Camp, and he has beefed up quite a bit. I think he might be key his Junior and Senior years at Duke

Is he still able to knock down shots and even create his own? If so that look out he could be in for a massive year I could see him eclipsing a Plumlee in the lineup.

More strength is never a bad thing, but I've always perceived Kelly as a shooter. Perhaps that's not fair, as the longest I've ever seen him on a basketball court was during the McD's three-point shooting contest, but I would think that he needs to maintain a delicate balance between bulking up and not losing any quickness which would allow him to get open on the perimeter.

For this upcoming year I can see that playing inside gives him the best chance of getting on the floor, but I don't know that that makes the best use of his abilities. Either way, I hope we get to see him some more as I'm a big fan of his.

"Right, which is why I'd think Kyle would often be at the 3 when posting up"

Correct. Krzyzewski specifically addressed this scenario yesterday. He expects Kyle to be able to post up smaller players while playing the 3 because Duke's bigs can invert the offense by pulling bigger defenders outside.

Horvath

With all this discussion of Kelly and Miles bulking up, I look forward to the release of the 2010-2011 team picture and this board lighting up with Nick Horvath circa 2003 references. Maybe Zoubek's beard is establishing a new team picture tradition for us.

If Kyle plays the 3, that will create playing problem for the "guards."

Kyrie, Nolan, Seth, and Andre. Thornton is riding the pine a lot, maybe redshirts.

I'm concerned that the way Nolan played last year, he will get 30 minutes of playing time. Seth can shoot lights out from reports. Kyrie expects to play a lot, built up to be a lottery draft pick in 2011. Does this leave Andre in Kyle's shadow and will he be okay with that? I do like Kyle at the 3, he is a problem for just about anyone.

No speculation asked for, just something to think about.
    Last edited by -jk; 06-30-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: unfortunate misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by jjh1080 View Post
    If Kyle plays the 3, that will create playing problem for the "guards."

Kyrie, Nolan, Seth, and Andre. Thornton is riding the pine a lot, maybe redI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s.

I'm concerned that the way Nolan played last year, he will get 30 minutes of playing time. Seth can shoot lights out from reports. Kyrie expects to play a lot, built up to be a lottery draft pick in 2011. Does this leave Andre in Kyle's shadow and will he be okay with that? I do like Kyle at the 3, he is a problem for just about anyone.

No speculation asked for, just something to think about.
    Well there is going to be a minutes crunch regardless of where Singler plays. If he plays mostly at the 3 (as many here including me expect), he'll crunch the guards minutes and likely one of the four guards will see limited time. If he plays mostly at the 4 (which some others expect), there'll be a crunch in post guy minutes and likely one of the four bigger guys will see limited time. No matter what, there are likely to be 1-2 players in our top-ten that don't see major minutes. That's the nature of having a deep and talented team.

or we could take the Rick Barnes approach and play everybody different minutes every game.

Wait...

My idea

everyone gets 20 minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by amazinballer323 View Post
    or we could take the Rick Barnes approach and play everybody different minutes every game.

Wait...
    With absolutely no regard for match-up, situation, position, skill, or score. That's money.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well there is going to be a minutes crunch regardless of where Singler plays. If he plays mostly at the 3 (as many here including me expect), he'll crunch the guards minutes and likely one of the four guards will see limited time. If he plays mostly at the 4 (which some others expect), there'll be a crunch in post guy minutes and likely one of the four bigger guys will see limited time. No matter what, there are likely to be 1-2 players in our top-ten that don't see major minutes. That's the nature of having a deep and talented team.
    I agree with this, but do want to add a "friendly amendment" to the bolded sentence. In trying to be precise, I hope I'll not be too picky: I'd say there will be at least 2 players who, esp by late-season, will play only spot minutes, say 3-4 mpg at most. Those 2 will likely be TT and JH, not because they can't play, but because next season Duke will indeed by "a deep and talented team." My guess is that a 3d player will slide toward limited minutes [= "not major minutes"], or maybe both RK and DD will play "moderate" minutes.

And actually, "deep and talented" may be insufficiently precise, as well, for it leaves out this: 3 guys are way past "deep" in talent and/or experience. Given this fact, there's a 2d scenario, one that I wouldn't quite predict, but that is not inconceivable: maybe K will "mix and match" the 7 players other than the 3 near-certain late-season 30+ mpg guys [guess...], so that during last half-dozen ACC games, and through the tourneys, K and players will be comfortable knowing whoever's hot, or D-ferocious, will play major minutes in any particular game.