Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help Naming New Family Member

I have just adopted this big girl and need a name by Thursday. Barbie just won't do. I know we are all partial to Duke related names, so Cameron or Cammie is a possibility. Tried player-related names but they just don't seem to go with a girl. Otherwise, I am thinking of Elsa because she reminds me of a lion when she is walking outside - she has that lazy gait going on. Also, a Spanish name to go with her brothers, Pancho and Cisco, would be good. Sienna and Sophie are popular among the co-workers. Binnie is kind of different and means blessed, I understand. Would appreciate any other suggestions. The boys' names came to me in a heartbeat, but her's just is not clicking yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Why not honor one of Duke's great women players? Alana has a nice ring, and while not hispanic, seems to mesh well with the other names of your family pets.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Why not honor one of Duke's great women players? Alana has a nice ring, and while not hispanic, seems to mesh well with the other names of your family pets.
    Ok, I am soft in the head or suffering from too much elation. Can't believe I did not think of her. Alana may have to move to the top of the list.

Doris? For Doris Duke?

Great pic!

Actually, she reminds me a LOT of my dog growing up - Queenie.

I think she looks more like a Monique (Curry) than an Alana. "MO! Come. Sit. Fetch."
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

A boy could be named Duke...how about Duchess?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Actually, she reminds me a LOT of my dog growing up - Queenie.

I think she looks more like a Monique (Curry) than an Alana. "MO! Come. Sit. Fetch."
    Never, ever give an animal a name that rhymes with "no". I give you this advice as I have a cat, Chloe. I rest my case.
    Last edited by sue71, esq; 06-28-2010 at 09:42 PM.

Well, probably the most important lady in Duke's evolution was Dean Alice M. Baldwin (as in East Campus' Baldwin Auditorium, the Baldwin Scholars Program, and so forth); I like the name "Baldwin" for a dog, although it certainly is not common.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Never, ever give an animal a name that rhymes with "no". I give you this advice as I have a cat, Chloe. I rest my case.
    Good advice. I hadn't thought of that.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Playing off some well known player names - Carmen and Bobbi aren't bad, and Carmen keeps the Spanish (I know it's really Portuguese) theme going.

A great boy dog name would be Zoubs (with nicknames like Zooby-doo)!

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm going with my gut reaction from over a week ago - Elsa it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    A great boy dog name would be Zoubs (with nicknames like Zooby-doo)!
    Zoubs is much better than the increasingly common phenomenon of calling your dog (or little girl) Sookie.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Booger-Anne?

Booger-Marie

Booger-Lee

Booger-Rose

if it was a boy, Booger-Ray

Cliff Huxtable.

What about Mickie ?

Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
    What about Mickie ?
    Ooooh. I like that. And it sounds more like Barbie. She looks more like a Mickie than a Cammie. Okay, rethinking.

Got to the tag machine last night and just couldn't switch from Elsa. Got her back from the vet last night. She's so sore from heartworm treatment but is feeling better even this morning. Going to be hard keeping her quiet for 6 weeks.

She was not sure what was going on, being handed off twice enroute from Baltimore but she sure did when she got to the front door and heard her soon-to-be Chihuahua brothers barking at her. Found out yesterday she also has lyme disease, but a low-grade result. Keeping her anyway. Hoping to do the home visit tonight and paperwork Sat.!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Got to the tag machine last night and just couldn't switch from Elsa. Got her back from the vet last night. She's so sore from heartworm treatment but is feeling better even this morning. Going to be hard keeping her quiet for 6 weeks.

She was not sure what was going on, being handed off twice enroute from Baltimore but she sure did when she got to the front door and heard her soon-to-be Chihuahua brothers barking at her. Found out yesterday she also has lyme disease, but a low-grade result. Keeping her anyway. Hoping to do the home visit tonight and paperwork Sat.!
    And all the while I'd been hoping you'd name her Mary Grace for Dean Mary Grace Wilson who was as much a fixture for the Womans College as was Dean Alice Baldwin.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
    What about Mickie ?
    Best one on here by far.

Too bad "Mickie" didn't stick. I loved it. Here's to Elsa getting all well and feeling good and giving you years of beautiful companionship. She's a lucky girl.
    Love, Ima