Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Duke football recruiting thread

Matt Skura called the staff about two hours ago and gave Duke a verbal - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/06/d...ol-matt-skura/

David Helton also pulled the trigger. Good job by Cut and Coach Luke with Skura and props for Helton as well.

Thanks for the report watzone.

Looks like a couple good pickups. Seems that David Helton has been more heavily recruited. The 6'3" inside linebacker with a 3.65 GPA had offers from Ga Tech, Kansas, Syracuse, Air Force, Chattanooga, Memphis, and Middle Tennessee State. Matt Scura, a 2-star recruit according to rivals, also had an offer from Air Force in addition to Duke.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Matt Skura called the staff about two hours ago and gave Duke a verbal - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/06/d...ol-matt-skura/

David Helton also pulled the trigger. Good job by Cut and Coach Luke with Skura and props for Helton as well.
    Thanks Watzone, us "low budget broke posters" appreciate a bone or two every now and then!

Coach Cut continues to reel them in. Building that program 1 "Cinder Block" at a time!

Go Duke Football!

The Skura commitment comes as a bit of a surprise to me, since he just received the offer over the weekend. Also, Duke is in the final running for a few more 2011 offensive lineman, notably Marc Mustoe, Cody Robinson, and Shane Mertz, all of whom visited campus recently. There are a few other offers out there, but those are the three I'm most familiar with and seem to all have serious interest in Duke. Skura makes the third OL commit, along with Lucas Patrick and Marcus Aprahamian. If the staff can land one or two more out of the outstanding offers, it would make for a very nice OL class.

Don't forget there are also 2 pretty good-looking young offensive lineman on campus this summer in Laken Tomlinson and Takoby Cofield. Matt Luke is doing a great job recruiting and coaching these big guys.

The staff "really wanted" David Helton, so I think they see him as a potential stud LB for the future. Britton Grier, from Charlotte, is another LB commit in the class of 2011.

Blue Devil Nation is running football articles for free, so you can read up on several of the commits and recruits above.

Quote Originally Posted by pbc2 View Post
    The Skura commitment comes as a bit of a surprise to me, since he just received the offer over the weekend. Also, Duke is in the final running for a few more 2011 offensive lineman, notably Marc Mustoe, Cody Robinson, and Shane Mertz, all of whom visited campus recently. There are a few other offers out there, but those are the three I'm most familiar with and seem to all have serious interest in Duke. Skura makes the third OL commit, along with Lucas Patrick and Marcus Aprahamian. If the staff can land one or two more out of the outstanding offers, it would make for a very nice OL class.

Don't forget there are also 2 pretty good-looking young offensive lineman on campus this summer in Laken Tomlinson and Takoby Cofield. Matt Luke is doing a great job recruiting and coaching these big guys.

The staff "really wanted" David Helton, so I think they see him as a potential stud LB for the future. Britton Grier, from Charlotte, is another LB commit in the class of 2011.

Blue Devil Nation is running football articles for free, so you can read up on several of the commits and recruits above.
    At quick glance the Skura commitment isn't that impressive, given his limited (so far) offer sheet. But evidently he performed extremely well at the Duke camp and has good size, 6-3, 274, so it sounds like a good thing. And Helton is a great addition.

Probably the biggest concern right now (in addition to just adding more top quality guys at any position) is to get several really good defensive tackles. We're sorely lacking in that area, and we absolutely need to fix that if we're to continue progressing. The skill positions and OL are looking very good (we redshirted some great prospects last year on the OL) but the defensive front needs help, especially at DT.

When Cut came to Charlotte on the Duke Athletics Tour he called Coach Luke "one of the best there is." Seems like he was on to something. Keep it up Cut!!!

By all accounts Coach Luke is a good one, though this is the year (especially with a young, if highly talented starting QB) we need to see some results running the ball. Our running game was been abysmal. HOpefully some of Luke's charges will start opening holes for our improving group of running backs.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    At quick glance the Skura commitment isn't that impressive, given his limited (so far) offer sheet. But evidently he performed extremely well at the Duke camp and has good size, 6-3, 274, so it sounds like a good thing. And Helton is a great addition.

Probably the biggest concern right now (in addition to just adding more top quality guys at any position) is to get several really good defensive tackles. We're sorely lacking in that area, and we absolutely need to fix that if we're to continue progressing. The skill positions and OL are looking very good (we redshirted some great prospects last year on the OL) but the defensive front needs help, especially at DT.

We seem to be more fluid and flexible in our approach this year. If we want a DT, but a 4 star DE from TX wants to come, over UT and many offers, because they are an excellent student, we need to happily offer. This is how we at Duke can build a team with elite level football talent. In the 2010 class process we fixated on a few DTs regionally and did not land who we wanted.

These two recruits suggest we are recruiting more effectively for the2011 class.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Thanks Watzone, us "low budget broke posters" appreciate a bone or two every now and then!

Coach Cut continues to reel them in. Building that program 1 "Cinder Block" at a time!

Go Duke Football!
    Did someone say cinder block??

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Did someone say cinder block??
    The cinder block is very adaptable. It can be used for weight as well as length...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The cinder block is very adaptable. It can be used for weight as well as length...
    It's also a common material used in building foundations.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    It's also a common material used in building foundations.
    Yeah, but I was known for shooting bricks.

Cut's a brick house
    He's mighty mighty, lettin' it all hang out.

Oh yeah, he and the staff can bring da noise and bring da funk.

Can't wait to shock Alabama!!!!!

12 commit for 2011

Jon Woodruff, a 6'4" 210 pound OLB from Waldorf, MD is the 12th commitment in the class of 2011. Woodruff plays DE in high school, but is projected as a LB in college.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Cut's a brick house
    He's mighty mighty, lettin' it all hang out.

Oh yeah, he and the staff can bring da noise and bring da funk.

Can't wait to shock Alabama!!!!!
    66 days until the first football game.... 40 days until the pre-season camp begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    66 days until the first football game.... 40 days until the pre-season camp begins.
    Why not Duke?

Why not now?

I am excited about the upcoming season yet again. I know that building a program is a process, and I have both patience and belief in the staff. But there's no time like the present.

Rip, tear, givemhell. Duke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Add defensive end Jon Woodruff to Cut's list of commits.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2...lege-football/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Add defensive end Jon Woodruff to Cut's list of commits.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2...lege-football/
    That guy is listed at 6'2, 186...pretty light for a DE. Can someone more informed than me speak to some of the highly-rated prospects we are looking good with?

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    That guy is listed at 6'2, 186...pretty light for a DE. Can someone more informed than me speak to some of the highly-rated prospects we are looking good with?
    Listed by Rivals or Scout maybe?

The article linked indicates he is 6'4" 215#

I can't say for sure, but I'd say the measurements given in the article are more accurate than those you saw. Some of the recruiting sites don't update info very often.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Listed by Rivals or Scout maybe?

The article linked indicates he is 6'4" 215#

I can't say for sure, but I'd say the measurements given in the article are more accurate than those you saw. Some of the recruiting sites don't update info very often.
    You're exactly right. I was looking at Scout. I guess I am getting a little concerned, as the last few commits have not been rated highly, again, according to Scout. Is there more to these guys than the "NR" vs "Stars"? Are we looking good with any highly touted recruits? Like some good D-Lineman?