Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coach K Pay Tops $4 Million

Have not seen this posted yet - if so I apologize for the duplicate post

N&O has been reading Duke's filings with the IRS

Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski's pay nearly tripled over four recent seasons — rising from about $1.3 million to more than $4 million...

Former coach Ted Roof, who was fired in late 2007 after four-plus seasons of losing football, was paid $500,000 a year, according to tax filings,

New coach David Cutcliffe, who was hired in December 2007, is paid three times as much as Roof.

The latest tax filing by the university lists $1.54 million of taxable income for Cutcliffe

The latest filing shows that new Duke athletics director Kevin White was paid more than $1.5 million in fiscal 2008-09. Much of it was in bonus money. White's base salary, according to the tax filing, was $410,742. Another $1.1 million was paid in incentive compensation

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/iteam/...uke-topped-41m

This is the link to the full IRS document

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/sites/...cal%20year.PDF

This is what the market sets for pay, but it certainly is different from the market in which John Wooden earned $32,000 per year

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post

This is what the market sets for pay, but it certainly is different from the market in which John Wooden earned $32,000 per year
    I previously questioned whether 32k was really bad low then (thinking about inflation, the explosion of TV money, etc.) - and was told, yes, even for then, it was embarrassingly low.

But I don't think anyone would doubt that we've made the pie higher.
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...hpiehigher.htm

Who the heck is Eugene McDonald?????

Very interesting reading in the 990 salary schedule. The name Eugene McDonald is listed with compensation of $5.5 million. More than Coach K and anyone else -- does anyone know who this person is and why he would be paid $5.5 million? Maybe he is handling the Lacrosse fallout????

Quote Originally Posted by crdaul View Post
    Very interesting reading in the 990 salary schedule. The name Eugene McDonald is listed with compensation of $5.5 million. More than Coach K and anyone else -- does anyone know who this person is and why he would be paid $5.5 million? Maybe he is handling the Lacrosse fallout????
    He used to run the Duke Management Company which manages the University's endowment. I thought he retired several years ago, though.

Quote Originally Posted by crdaul View Post
    http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2000/01/mcdonald121.html

Endowment manager? Those are not out of world numbers. Harvard managers probably gets paid more.

Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2000/01/mcdonald121.html

Endowment manager? Those are not out of world numbers. Harvard managers probably gets paid more.
    But he apparently retired from that position 10 years ago - nice retirement package?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    But he apparently retired from that position 10 years ago - nice retirement package?
    haha good point, perhaps. It is strange. Although by the size of duke endowment, a typical management fee would be around $13 million per year. I don't know who currently manages it. But maybe he was hired back?

Interesting the article notes K was given this raise during our 'down years.' Being a private University I have always wondered about things such as the payout to the three (and later more) lacrosse players, but of course that will likely remain confidential for years.

It is, however, nice to know that Coach Cut's staff of assistants and trainers are some of the highest paid in all of D1 (or whatever they call it now). I don't think this was ever reported but he publicly stated it.

He and K are great ambassadors to the University and deserve to get all the money they want to keep them here and happy, IMO. I remember this past year when a reporter asked Calhoun about being the highest paid public employee in the State Of Conn and he basically told the guy to take a hike. I for one am glad we can avoid those types of situations. This is the most I have publicly heard of any compensation, but I might not have been listening.

That is pretty rediculous. Granted I love Duke basketball, but for anyone that's read Beer and Circus it's almost unfathomable the extent that sports has taken over (and some say really screwed up) the collegiate landscape.

I think that Duke is largely immune to the type of stuff the book complains about, but 4 mil, wow. I mean I'm not surprised, but in the greater context you have to wonder if that's the most efficient use of academic funds.
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    That is pretty rediculous. Granted I love Duke basketball, but for anyone that's read Beer and Circus it's almost unfathomable the extent that sports has taken over (and some say really screwed up) the collegiate landscape.

I think that Duke is largely immune to the type of stuff the book complains about, but 4 mil, wow. I mean I'm not surprised, but in the greater context you have to wonder if that's the most efficient use of academic funds.
    Could we quantify Coach K's value to Duke University? He coaches, works through Fuqua Business school, does a ton of stuff involving Duke Hospital, and is a huge public relations figure for the University throughout the world. Doesn't he have a major impact on fundraising for the University and even the number of applications for admission?

He's virtually the K in D-U-K-E.

A bargain at $4million, I'd say.

The truth is, a good basketball program makes way more than $4 million a year.

In terms of a public relations/spokesman for Duke University, Coach K is being paid alot less than people such as Lebron or Kobe. And comparing to other coaches in similar roles as Coach K, such as Calipari, Coach K never attracts negative attention to the school. I would say 4 million a year is a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by dchen09 View Post
    In terms of a public relations/spokesman for Duke University, Coach K is being paid alot less than people such as Lebron or Kobe.
    LeBron and Kobe are getting more $$ than Coach K for doing Duke PR?

lives near a number of big white buildings

A great investment

Worth every penny...and hopefully K keeps collecting that salary (adjusted for inflation perhaps!) for coaching Duke for the next decade !

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Could we quantify Coach K's value to Duke University? He coaches, works through Fuqua Business school, does a ton of stuff involving Duke Hospital, and is a huge public relations figure for the University throughout the world. Doesn't he have a major impact on fundraising for the University and even the number of applications for admission?

A bargain? Mother Teresa is a bargain. $4 mill ain't chump change. It's a ton of money.

That said, the ROI is positive and significant, and thus it justifies the $4 mill.

But please don't call it a bargain
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    A bargain? Mother Teresa is a bargain. $4 mill ain't chump change. It's a ton of money.

That said, the ROI is positive and significant, and thus it justifies the $4 mill.

But please don't call it a bargain
    I dunno. Dr. Buss set the market price a few years back, and it was a lot more than $4 million.

I recall reading that Duke University Stores reported a nearly 2 million dollar profit on sales of ACC + NCAA title merchandise. I guess that alone brings K's tag down.

one of the few

I think Coach K is one of the few coaches in college basketball that is worth this kind of money. He is significantly more than a basketball coach, as has been stated. He should get paid as the coach, a b-school professor, and a head of PR/Marketing for the university...those three salaries add up to $4m, perhaps.

I didn't care about Duke basketball until I got to Duke. I actually think the influence may be greater for people after they're admitted and then graduate. Sure, there are a lot of big college bball fans that apply there because of the program, but there are significant numbers who just haven't paid that much attention and want to go to a good school. Once they're in, they get swept up.

Then once you're in the working world, I think K's influence helps the whole alumni base to some extent. For better or worse, the bball team gives alumni the air of winners. And it doesn't hurt that Dickie V talks about how smart everyone is all the time. The publicity is pretty huge. And it's different publicity from, say, Florida's football program. While Florida's program is awesome, it's not as if the success of the program carries the same brand meaning that Duke's and Coach K's does.

I may sound like a Dukie fanboy, but I think Coach K's brand contributes to peoples' perspective on Duke so much that it really does carry over into their perspectives on the alumni base. At least a little. So...some of that $4m is a reinvestment of my donations, that in turn keep Duke looking like smart folks and winners.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Could we quantify Coach K's value to Duke University....

Abso-darned lutely.

Yet, why "am" the Iron Dukes sending me a letter begging for another 10% on top of my already pain-inducing contribution in order to cover a $1mil short fall for this year?
    Maybe if they move a few of the administration darlings into my upper environ ACC tourney seats....

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post

I think that Duke is largely immune to the type of stuff the book complains about, but 4 mil, wow.
    Why would you say that Duke is largely immune? It's hard to say that the collegiate landscape at Duke hasn't been taken over by sports.