Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who will be the most popular athlete in Washington D.C. in 5 years

Ovechkin had it locked up for a little while but with Wall, Strasburg and Harper coming in the next few years, who will run D.C. is the years to come...sorry McNabb.

I am really hoping it will be Brian Orakpo of the Washington Redskins. He is a beast and if he can help the Defense to a Championship I believe it will be him.

Ovechkin is today because they are the only franchise that is winning. Football is everything in Washington so if the Redskins are winning it will always be someone from their team. Could be McNabb if he actually does something.
    The Terrapin Assassin

My guess is that Ovechkin still will be. I'm not too optimistic about my Redskins over the next 5 years, unfortunately, unless we nail a few drafts and keep our picks - we're an old team. If the Skins improve, Orakpo could be it, or McNabb could be, too.

Steven Strasburg is a sleeper, of course. Depends how he does over the next few years. He's a bit of an unknown quantity still.

The most popular athlete in D.C. in 5 years will be a Redskin. I have no idea who it will be - he's probably still in college, if not high school - but it certainly won't be a basketball, baseball or hockey player.

Talking Obvious Answer?

Nats 3rd baseman Ryan Zimmerman IMHO (where the H is usually silent) is a Hall of Fame player and will be the most popular athlete in Washington in five years.

My next choices would be pitcher Stephen Strasburg, making his MLB debut tonight, or just-drafted slugger Bryce Harper.

[Faux Mod: "Hmmm, Mr. Grouse, you should defend your pick. These are all Nationals, and the Nats have been the worst team in baseball, and the City of Washington has one World Series win in 100+ years and hasn't won a league pennant in nearly 80."]

Well lets look at the other sports. Why not Ovechkin? Just a guess that sun will not shine for long on a hockey player.

Why not a Redskin? It's hard for an individual football player to grab the limelight unless it's a QB (see below) or the Redskins win a Super Bowl (or maybe two). Donovan McNabb in five years -- pretty long in the tooth. A Super Bowl? Puh-leese!

Why not a Wizard? Well, it could be Arenas now except for his injuries and his self-inflicted firearm wounds. Except for prospective #1 John Wall, the cupboard is really bare. On second thought, Mr. Mod, I think John Wall could be the one. So, the answer isn't so obvious, is it?

FWIW, after living in the DC most of the past 40 years, there have been only four transcendant personalities in town: two presidents, Reagan and Clinton, who in an alternate universe could have been the world's greatest Irish bartenders; former Redskin owner Jack Kent Cooke, and.... Sonny Jurgensen. The "Old Redhead" is still quite something. Wonder what he was like at Duke?

sagegrouse

Reggie Love

Regardless of Dave's clever response, this thread is the definition of "Off Topic".
    WWJDD?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

I don't know about 5 years, but in 6 years...

Battier

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    FWIW, after living in the DC most of the past 40 years, there have been only four transcendant personalities in town: two presidents, Reagan and Clinton, who in an alternate universe could have been the world's greatest Irish bartenders; former Redskin owner Jack Kent Cooke, and.... Sonny Jurgensen. The "Old Redhead" is still quite something. Wonder what he was like at Duke?

sagegrouse
    I wouldn't quite agree with that. I think Darrell Green has to be considered in that category. I think that Joe Gibbs, in his first tenure, qualified as well.

I think it'll be between Ovechkin, Wall, Orakpo, Strasburg, Harper, and McNabb. No shocker there. If we win a Super Bowl, or heck, even have a few years of success and playoff runs that lost longer than one game, McNabb and Shanahan will be heroes around here! Plus we'll be able to rub the Eagles' fans noses in it! The funniest thing about your comment about Jurgensen is that he not only played for Duke, he was ALSO a Philly draft pick that was traded here when they thought he couldn't do anything. I hope McNabb is as successful here as our last Philly transplant at QB!

I think another one in consideration will be...wait for it... Brian Zoubek! Everybody says the one thing the Wizards (who are thank God considering a new name!) need more than anything else is a big man who can rebound and play defense. The Wizards have two first round picks #1 and #30, and one second round pick at #35. With that extra pick, they could get Zoubek. He can definitely rebound and bang with big guys down low. No, he's not overly athletic and he won't score a lot except on put backs, but he can pass out of the post and bang with the best of them. I'm kidding about him being the most popular player in five years, but I definitely think the Wizards should consider him!

Smile Up with Darrell!

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I wouldn't quite agree with that. I think Darrell Green has to be considered in that category. I think that Joe Gibbs, in his first tenure, qualified as well.

I agree about Darrell Green, and I remember thinking how much he owned the town the last time I was at one of his events. IMHO, Joe Gibbs, while a major deity, was not a "transcendant personality" like the others.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Good list, but need to add John Riggins (probablty should be #2 behind Sonny) and Michael Jordan during his brief stint as player/GM. And probably Dan Snyder, but as a transcendant villian.

ESPN is running a countdown to Strasburg's first MLB game today. He's definitely a contender. For some reason, McNabb could don a cape and save all of mankind and still have a loud chorus of detractors.

Mike Miller is my dark horse

Right now, I'd say it's:
    1. Ovechkin
    2. Strasburg
    3. Wall
    4. Arenas
    T-5. McNabb, Cooley

Note that for another 5 hours, 3 of that list haven't even played a second/snap/pitch for their teams (I'm going to go see #2 pitch tonight!).

In 5 years, I'd say the list will be this:

1. Ovechkin
    2. Strasburg
    3. Wall
    4. Harper
    5. The newest Skins QB
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Easy answer.

Whoever buys the Redskins from Snyder.

And hurry up, I'm not getting any younger.

For what it's worth, Mr. Harper is reputed to have significant personality issues. He may be young enough to grow out of them but I'd put my money on Zimmerman or Strasburg.

After tonight:

1. Strasburg
    2. Strasburg
    3. Strasburg
    4. Strasburg
    5. Strasburg
    6. Strasburg
    7. Strasburg
    8. Strasburg
    9. Strasburg
    10. Strasburg
    11. Strasburg
    12. Strasburg
    13. Strasburg
    14. Strasburg

Kid is unbelievable...I've never seen Nationals Park so packed and full of life. Strasburg is the real deal.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    After tonight:

1. Strasburg
    2. Strasburg
    3. Strasburg
    4. Strasburg
    5. Strasburg
    6. Strasburg
    7. Strasburg
    8. Strasburg
    9. Strasburg
    10. Strasburg
    11. Strasburg
    12. Strasburg
    13. Strasburg
    14. Strasburg

Kid is unbelievable...I've never seen Nationals Park so packed and full of life. Strasburg is the real deal.
    Wow. ESPN's Kurkjian was gushing. Apparently, 36 of the 94 pitches Strasburg threw were 98 mph or higher. He's the only pitcher ever to strike out 14 and walk none in his debut - and only 6 have done it in all of baseball history. Hersheiser was saying that 14 K's on 94 pitches is nuts - that most pitchers would need 120 pitches to get that many strikeouts.

And that curve, or "slurve" as Strasburg calls it, is just NASTY.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Here is his box score for those of you that missed it. Absolutely unbelievable.

IP H R ER BB SO PC-ST ERA
    7.0 4 2 2 0 14 94-65 2.57

Also:

He struck out the last 7 batters he faced including the last 6 on only 24 pitches and the last 2 on 6 pitches. If you were at the game, save you stubs, programs, and whatever else you have. You just saw history.

no question Strasburg. especially after last night's performance. holy cow.