how many mistakes do you count?

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...011-recruiting

I counted six. It's sad that we live in the mecca of college basketball and the main source of information for people seems to have no earthly idea about recruiting. All the guy would have to do is call a scout like Telep or do a little internet research but he just throws some basic recruting info that is mostly dated or just false and the N&O just puts out the piece because no one knows any better.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm stoked to see that Brandon Adams from Brandon, Miss. is coming to Duke. I missed where he signed on.
    Anyway..there's one of the 6 mistakes. Without googling everything, what are the other 5?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm stoked to see that Brandon Adams from Brandon, Miss. is coming to Duke. I missed where he signed on.
    Anyway..there's one of the 6 mistakes. Without googling everything, what are the other 5?
    Yeah that was the only error that caught my eye too. Neither scout or rival have Uchebo listed in the class of '11 so maybe that is another mistake?

I didn't find other errors, unless you count things like Quincy Miller usually being listed at 6'9" or 6'10" instead of the 6'8" that the article stated. Not the worst piece.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...011-recruiting

I All the guy would have to do is call a scout like Telep or do a little internet research but he just throws some basic recruting info that is mostly dated or just false and the N&O just puts out the piece because no one knows any better.
    that's the sum of all "newspaper" work nowdays...

i counted a few others, Brandon Adams was the most glaring but here are the others I saw

1)"Duke and North Carolina don't have McDonald's All-America-caliber big men locked up, but do have commitments from some high-powered prospects."

James McAdoo will def be an MCD's AA if he stays a member of the 2011 class.

2)"Duke's most pressing issue at this point is to lock up 6-4 scoring guard Austin Rivers of Winter Park, Fla. He's rated as one of the top five players in the class, and the Blue Devils appear to be in excellent shape with him."

I wouldnt say its a PRESSING issue to land Rivers as long as he doesnt end up at UNC i dont think missing out on him would be a huge deal with Dawkins and Curry and maybe Irving still on the team

3) "With Kendall Marshall coming in to play point guard in 2010, point guard isn't a big need in 2011."

I'm pretty sure everyone in the know could tell you Marshall isnt going to be the answer at PG if UNC plans to win a championship in the next 2 yrs.

4)"Will the Tar Heels offer Cody Zeller or Marshall Plumlee?"

I havent heard anything about the Heels going after either of these players in the last 6 months. I know they were once considered targets but I prettys sure Roy has moved on to bigger and better names.

5)"Getting Jerome Seagers or Quinn Cook out of the Washington, D.C."

Again havent heard anything about state going after Cook. Maybe I've missed something but this is the first I've heard that NC State being involved with him.

6)"The Wolfpack also could use a scoring forward like Gbinije or McAdoo, but doesn't appear likely to get one of that caliber."

I dont think these players are comparable, Gbinije is a SG/SF while McAdoo is a PF/C with some perimiter skills but you wouldnt classify him as a "scoring foward".

Again these other mistakes arent as bad as the Brandon Adams thing but if the N&O (the major newspaper in the area where college basketball is king) is going to put out an article about recruiting make sure they get someone who knows what they are talking about.

DukeBlueNV...

Without going point-by-point on the issues you raise with the N&O article, your comments seem basically like opinions.

In some cases, Tysiac is presenting information that you might not have heard, but could well be true, such as a particular school being interested in a prospect.

Pardon me if I'm not outraged at the N&O piece.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    DukeBlueNV...

Without going point-by-point on the issues you raise with the N&O article, your comments seem basically like opinions.

In some cases, Tysiac is presenting information that you might not have heard, but could well be true, such as a particular school being interested in a prospect.

Pardon me if I'm not outraged at the N&O piece.
    I wouldnt call my emotions outrage... more like "really? this is the best you can do for a recruiting update?"

I follow recruiting pretty closely and I can say that a lot of his statements which seemed to me like he was presenting as facts, were wrong. Most people who are going to read this are casual fans and they are after they are done reading that they are going to think we have a recruit by the name of Brandon Adams, that James McAdoo is not a talented player, that Gbinje and him play the same position, etc.

I'm not calling for anyone's heads to roll but if this guy is gonna cover college basketball in the raleigh, durham, chapel hill area he should probably do some research before putting out article like that. to most people who follow recruiting it sounds like this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

1)"Duke and North Carolina don't have McDonald's All-America-caliber big men locked up, but do have commitments from some high-powered prospects."

James McAdoo will def be an MCD's AA if he stays a member of the 2011 class.
    I'll give you this one. He missed McAdoo. Maybe he was just talking about 2010-2011?

2)"Duke's most pressing issue at this point is to lock up 6-4 scoring guard Austin Rivers of Winter Park, Fla. He's rated as one of the top five players in the class, and the Blue Devils appear to be in excellent shape with him."

I wouldnt say its a PRESSING issue to land Rivers as long as he doesnt end up at UNC i dont think missing out on him would be a huge deal with Dawkins and Curry and maybe Irving still on the team
    The staff seems to think it's pressing...

3) "With Kendall Marshall coming in to play point guard in 2010, point guard isn't a big need in 2011."

I'm pretty sure everyone in the know could tell you Marshall isnt going to be the answer at PG if UNC plans to win a championship in the next 2 yrs.
    Scout doesn't think so. This is an opinion, though a widely held one. Tysiac still isn't incorrect here. If you're splitting hairs about pressing, he says it isn't a big need.

4)"Will the Tar Heels offer Cody Zeller or Marshall Plumlee?"

I havent heard anything about the Heels going after either of these players in the last 6 months. I know they were once considered targets but I prettys sure Roy has moved on to bigger and better names.
    Roy is going after Cody Zeller again. Check your facts.

5)"Getting Jerome Seagers or Quinn Cook out of the Washington, D.C."

Again havent heard anything about state going after Cook. Maybe I've missed something but this is the first I've heard that NC State being involved with him.
    State is recruiting Quinn Cook.

6)"The Wolfpack also could use a scoring forward like Gbinije or McAdoo, but doesn't appear likely to get one of that caliber."

I dont think these players are comparable, Gbinije is a SG/SF while McAdoo is a PF/C with some perimiter skills but you wouldnt classify him as a "scoring foward".
    They're both forwards who score. Not sure what the big deal is here.

Again these other mistakes arent as bad as the Brandon Adams thing but if the N&O (the major newspaper in the area where college basketball is king) is going to put out an article about recruiting make sure they get someone who knows what they are talking about.
    Tysiac was on the floor of the Dean Dome interviewing recruits and AAU coaches for hours on end on Friday Night. I'm sure he was doing the same all weekend.

Airowee I know you like to pick peoples posts to pieces but I also know you follow recruiting pretty closely and I think you can admit (know that you have had ur fun pretentiously tearing through my post) that this article was crap.

Also u may want to re-read my post where I say " if mcadoo stays a member of the 2011 class" and I also admitted I could be wrong but I have never anything connecting cook and state and u know they have no chance at him. Also you could tell that tysiac was trying to say mcadoo and MG play the same position in his phrasing. The I've never heard the phrase "scoring foward" used to discribe a PF.
    Last edited by DukeBlueNV; 06-02-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Airowee I know you like to pick peoples posts to pieces but I also know you follow recruiting pretty closely and I think you can admit (know that you have had ur fun pretentiously tearing through my post) that this article was crap.
    Well, it's a small piece and has an error or two. I notice a similar version (cleaned up somewhat) has been posted to the front page of this site. I thought it was reasonably informative.

Also u may want to re-read my post where I say " if mcadoo stays a member of the 2011 class" and I also admitted I could be wrong but I have never anything connecting cook and state and u know they have no chance at him. Also you could tell that tysiac was trying to say mcadoo and MG play the same position in his phrasing. The I've never heard the phrase "scoring foward" used to discribe a PF.
    I wasn't intending to come off as pretentious, but if you're going to nitpick someone's article, you'd better be ready to have yours nitpicked as well.

I agree the article isn't at the level of a Telep or Daniels, but people don't look to the N and O for in-depth recruiting coverage. People know where to look for that, and if they don't they will continue to get below average info. I do know that Tysiac put in quite a bit of work this weekend and shouldn't be lambasted for giving it a good run just because he had a few errors.

I believe Cook actually listed NC State as a team that was recruiting him this weekend. Things change in recruiting rather quickly and the Wolpfack have a lot of momentum right now. Cook clearly wants to play in the ACC and it looks like State would be the only team on Tobacco Road that would entertain giving him an offer at this point. Sidney Lowe needs PGs and he can recruit.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Well, this thread has served its purpose. CLOSED.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”