Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    My predictions right now (could change depending on certain factors like whether Eto'o decides to drop out):

A - Uruguay, France
    B - Argentina, Greece
    C - England, USA
    D - Serbia, Australia
    E - Netherlands, Cameroon
    F - Italy, Paraguay
    G - Brazil, Ivory Coast
    H - Spain, Swiss

Group D is ridiculous, with Ghana, in my mind, stronger than their 32nd world ranking (obviously before Essien being ruled out). Serbia has a great back line with Vidic and Subotic, but I still have questions about their offensive ability. Still, I think they upset Germany, who will really miss Ballack, and Australia makes the knockout stage in a surprise, just like '06. But seriously, anyone can make it out of this group, and I'm not completely ruling out the Black Stars until I have to finalize my WC bracket predictions!

Italy will qualify easily and I think Paraguay, despite losing Cabanas to a nearly-fatal gunshot wound to the head, finds enough to get out of the group with them.

I think if Eto'o plays, Cameroon will make it out of the group. If he doesn't, they are in serious trouble. Portugal has been completely erratic in their prelude to the World Cup, even tying the Faroe Islands with a full squad. I think that the Ivory Coast actually make it out of this group by beating Portugal. Drogba, the Toures, Kalou and Eboue are VERY strong, with Drogba being the X-factor. C. Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world, but for some reason the rest of team hasn't done anything lately, and he cannot do it himself. The #3 team in the world leaves after 3 games.

Spain has played inconsistently, but they are still winning. They still haven't lost since we took it to them last summer in the Confederations Cup semifinals. I think they make it easily out of the group, and I think that the Swiss join them, although I hope the Catrachos can find their way into the 2nd round.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Its difficult in picking some of thses groups as there are only a couple very strong teams. other than that there are a lot of solid teams. here's what i have so far:

Group A: Mexico, Uruguay - i can't pick france with the whole Ireland debacle , that and i am not sold on them right now

Group B: Argentina, South Korea - messi's squad may have sqeaked in but they are legit

Group C: England, United States - tough loss to england first game, but followed with two solid games to finish out group stages

Group D: Serbia, Australia - tough to not pick germany, because my soul needs revenge after such a devastating loss in '02

Group E: Netherlands, Denmark - Eto'o in limbo makes me uneasy picking Cameroon

Group F: Italy, Paraguay - although something tells me it could possibly be New Zealand

Group G: Brazil, Ivory Coast - Drogba

Group H: Spain, Chile - for me the easiest group to pick

there really is no better sporting event in the world. really. march madness is unreal, but the world cup takes the cake, hands down!

Interesting article about the World Cup in the latest Duke magazine. The author says if the final pits Germany against Italy he's never going to watch soccer again...he'll take up watching golf (which is almost like being dead).

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Just one small correction note, last week Portugal tied the powerhouse that is the Cape Verde Islands, not the dominant force that is the Faroe Islands(which of course is hugely different ).

And for those of you picking South Korea, the team really hasn't looked all that good of late. They've always got the tremendous work rate and the nationalistic support of them is strong, but expectations are not high. They could make it, but it will not surprise if they end up 4th in a group without a real weak member.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Just one small correction note, last week Portugal tied the powerhouse that is the Cape Verde Islands, not the dominant force that is the Faroe Islands(which of course is hugely different ).
    Yes, you're correct. And, they tied them IN Portugal, an even scarier notion for the Portuguese.

2003-2004 HLM

I decided to throw together some previews for each World Cup group. I am not claiming to be an expert, but I will do my best to share whatever knowledge and insight I do have. I will discuss the squads, including potential lineups as well as the games themselves, since the order of matches does have some effect on how things shake out in the end.

Group A:
    This is a particularly intriguing group, not because of its overall strength, but because each of these four teams would be legitimately disappointed to not make it through to next round. South Africa is hardly the strongest of teams, but host countries have often overachieved in their own campaigns, but they probably drew the toughest European team, could have only drawn a tougher team in the second pot if they drew the United States, and were guaranteed one of the three equally tough South American teams. Who said that being seeded made it easy? Mexico cannot be happy about having to take on the hosts in the opener as they will obviously still be in contention and have the full support of the fans. Discord may also strike the Mexico camp with a little problem cropping up during their final cuts. Uruguay is the team who the average fan is least likely to remember as a World Cup victor and their current team will certainly be looking to recapture past glory, but they certainly face a tough task. France is a team with talent, balance, and a ton of issues, most of which start right at the top with the manager. They could win the whole thing… or fail to qualify for the Second Round.

Schedules can really make a big difference and Mexico certainly has a tough path with South Africa first and France second. This could already put them out of contention before their final match (no, this is not just wishful American thinking). South Africa could face an already qualified France in the final group game and scratch out a result if they need it. Overall, this group is balanced enough to make it difficult to determine exactly which path is easier. The final group games are also the ones which may not include a couple stars as yellow card accumulation is likely to claim a player or two. As for a prediction from me, I really do think that France and South Africa can be the two teams to advance here, but that may really be a little bit of wishful thinking on my part.

South Africa:
    The hosts are really only in this because they are the hosts. They have had a poor record against other African teams recently and failed to qualify for the most recent Africa Cup of Nations. That said, they demonstrated that they can play the top teams tough at home in the Confederations Cup and their preparations have gone well. It will be interesting to see how attacking they choose to play in these group games as they will face a couple of suspect defenses.

Here is a potential line-up for them:
    --------------Khune
    Gaxa--Mokoena--Booth--Masilela
    -------Dikgacoi----Sibaya
    Modise-----Tshabalala----Pienaar
    --------------Parker

Their more attacking lineup would see them bring in Katlego Mphela for Kagisho Dikgacoi or MacBeth Sibaya, but he may be more of an impact substitute. South Africa’s starting line-up is pretty set and they have played a good deal with one another. They do lack a bit of depth, but there is still some decent experience on the bench with the likes of Siyabonga Nomventhe. 7 of the players play outside of South Africa, including Bernard Parker, who will be counted on to provide goals and lead the line. Steven Pienaar and Teko Modise will provide the creativity on the wings and possibly in more central roles. Central defenders Matthew Booth and Aaron Mokoena, their captain and latest member of the 100-cap club, are cult heroes, but their defense can be breached. This is a team that will lean heavily on its fans to drive it to success. If the team turns on the fans after early struggles, they will be the host that fails to advance to the next round.

Mexico:
    Mexico have generally been successful in the group stage, but the turmoil during qualifying and now make them an interesting storyline to follow. Javier Aguirre had seemed to have it all sorted out before Giovani dos Santos did not take kindly to his brother being cut from the final squad. Of course one could question why Jonathan dos Santos was named in the first place and why Aguirre decided to keep 9 defenders (5-3-2?) and only 3 real central midfielders in the squad, but El Vasco does seem to have a better handle on things than Sven did. Few teams have had more preparation than Mexico, although the European-based players have only joined up in the last few weeks and that should serve the team well, although it will make picking the line-up a bit more difficult.

If I were Aguirre…
    I would cap every naturalized Mexican playing in the domestic league… Wait, that was the last manager, who I would send constant gratitude to for helping me get another job. On that note, I would probably stop inflaming the Mexican media by reminding them that I plan to return to Spain for a club job sometime soon. Here is the lineup I would roll with:

---------------Ochoa
    Juarez--Rodriguez--Salcido--Moreno
    ----------Marquez--Torrado
    Dos Santos------Vela-----Guardado
    ---------------Franco

I would probably consider switching Hector Moreno and Carlos Salcido and perhaps play Efrain Juarez in the midfield instead of at right-back. I liked the way Rafa Marquez (el Cheap-shot Artist de Michoacan (not his actual nickname, but nobody really thinks he plays like Beckenbauer so it’s probably more appropriate, at least to Tim Howard)) played well in the midfield against England but I think he will end up playing in defense. Aguirre will probably play a more conservative lineup with players in their natural positions, perhaps give Gio some time to stew on the bench and he will rely more on aging veterans than I would (see Blanco, Cuauhtemoc), so he will more likely trot this side out:

-----------Ochoa (or Perez)
    Osorio--Marquez--Rodriguez--Salcido
    ---------Castro---Torrado
    Vela---------Blanco-------Guardado
    ---------Hernandez (or Franco)

Mexico is pretty deep defensively, although as a unit they can be a bit suspect when asked to defend instead of bombing forward to support the attack. Besides Gerardo Torrado they are a bit lacking in defensive play in the midfield, which is why I would move Marquez there, but Pablo Barrera is a good impact substitute in that area of the field. Aguirre seems poised to play Blanco a lot, but they have more than enough creativity even without him. Up top, Guille Franco is better suited in a target striking role, but Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez is much more likely to provide goals himself. The other strikers are fairly useless at this level, so they will depend on the likes of Carlos Vela to score from midfield. Mexico is a solid team that constantly expects to put in good performances at the World Cup, but this group will be difficult and opening against South Africa will be a lot harder than it looks on paper and facing France next hardly makes it any easier.

Uruguay:
    Uruguay seem to like being in the playoff spot in South American qualifying and had some real tense moments against Costa Rica before sealing their spot. This is undoubtedly a talented squad, but it remains to be seen whether there is enough depth and experience to see them through to the next round. This is a team that will not be lacking in firepower, but it is less talented elsewhere and is untested in goal despite Fernando Muslera’s solid season at Lazio.

Here is a possible lineup:
    --------------Muslera
    ------Caceres--Godin--Lugano
    M. Pereira-----------------A. Pereira
    ----------Gargano--Eguren
    ---------------Lodeiro
    -----------Forlan----Suarez

This line-up gets more of their solid defenders out there to offer some protection to the full-backs, who will both look to get forward. Figuring out how the attack should be structured around Diego Forlan and his ability to find the goal was a bit difficult. Luis Suarez was in amazing form at the start of the season as he led Ajax to insane goal tallies, but he is a bit young compared to Sebastian Abreu, who would bring more experience to an attack which will rely heavily on young play-maker Nicolas Lodeiro for creativity. Edinson Cavani is also a talented option for the strike force. There are also a number of other midfield options, like Diego Perez and Nacho Gonzalez. In a formation with 4 defenders, Martin Caceres and Jorge Fucile figure to play on the outside to free up the two Pereiras to play further upfield in a midfield role.

This team undoubtedly has talent, but the path for them to advance may just be too difficult. That said, the one thing that I have learned from the Europa League this season is that nobody should ever count Diego Forlan out. The constant goalscoring threats that Uruguay provides should keep them in every game against a questionable set of defenses in this group. Ultimately they may fail, but they should provide entertaining moments while they are still around.

France:
    They may have all the talent in the world, but they are lucky to be here and as unpredictable as anyone. France has to deal with a lame duck coach, concerns about personal matters for a star or two, and a few injury problems to deal with. If they do sort themselves out, they can go quite far, but it remains hard to see how it will come together for them. At least they know that Thierry Henry will do anything to get them through to the next round. France’s run in 2006 came with some leadership from veterans. Unfortunately, the antics of Fabian Barthez will no longer be on display, and we will have a new face in goal. While there is talent at fullback, the rest of the defense is a bit questionable. The attack is aging, but quite experienced and still dangerous and the midfield will be lacking a key player without Lassana Diarra.

If I were Raymond Domenech…
    I would send Christmas cards to a certain Italian manager currently based in Dublin. I would also try to take my last hurrah seriously and show the doubters. I might possibly just tank it on purpose to get home earlier and let Laurent Blanc handle this mess. I would consider changing the formation, but probably will not and try this:

--------------Lloris
    Sagna--Squillaci--Gallas--Evra
    ---------Diarra---Toulalan
    Ribery-----Gourcuff---Malouda
    -------------Henry

Honestly, they would be better off playing slightly more attacking and playing Nicolas Anelka upfront or on the wing instead of having the usual two holding midfielders by sacrificing Alou Diarra and having Florent Malouda slide in alongside Jeremy Toulalan. Ribery and Gourcuff will likely be floating in and around the wings and centrally as they can play a number of roles. Eric Abidal might be used in place of Sebastien Squillaci, but neither partner for William Gallas will make the center of the defense stronger. Bacary Sagna, Patrice Evra, and Gael Clichy off the bench provide great options at the fullback spots. Abou Diaby offers something a little different in the midfield, while Mathieu Valbuena can provide further creativity when necessary. Djibril Cisse brings electrifying pace off the bench as an impact substitute. Hugo Lloris appears to have beaten out Steve Mandanda as the goalkeeper of the future

This team certainly has the depth and balance to go far if they can clear any remaining demons and avoid distractions internally. With their manager having one eye on retirement, I do not think that they will repeat their exploits from their last run. They should still find a way to advance to the second round, and may luck out with matchups at that point, but the quarterfinals would be an achievement. The other teams in this group provide enough attacking prowess to be a threat, but may be vulnerable enough on defense to allow France to run through them. One of the other questions will be how some of the aging players will deal with not having the chance to play much during their club seasons as Abidal and Henry have not been in form but figure to play an important role for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Yes, you're correct. And, they tied them IN Portugal, an even scarier notion for the Portuguese.
    Maybe that Cape Verden Creole really got inside the heads of the Portuguese Grammar Police? Certainly doesn't bode well for Portugal's side...oh well, never much liked Cristiano anyhow.

Uh oh...

More injury news:

Suazo tweaked his hammy. They're saying it looks like he won't play in the opener...granted, it's against Honduras, but Hammies are super unpredictable. Hope it heals up well!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    Why would you watch the world cup?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1axsnMRbbo
    (bonus points if you name the movie that references this goal)

(ok, i'm done)

take your pick

Bend It Like Beckham??????

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Interesting article about the World Cup in the latest Duke magazine. The author says if the final pits Germany against Italy he's never going to watch soccer again...he'll take up watching golf (which is almost like being dead).
    i doubt that either of those team will make it to the final IMO, but if they do that means that most likely we will have been defeated by Germany once again

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1axsnMRbbo
    (bonus points if you name the movie that references this goal)
    I haven't felt this good since Archie Gemmill scored against Holland.

You missed this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngE9RCAdWaE

About 1 minute in... the only time Pele felt he was certain to score, he's said.

Well, I hate to be Debbie Downer, but there goes that idea...

Jozy Altidore sprains ankle, x-rays negative. Listed as day to day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Our best forward is now going to be playing injured? No es bueno...

Apparently it's not as bad as what Sportscenter made it out to be, when they said he was hospitalized, sending all USMNT fans into a frenzied panic. I think he'll be fine...hold him out of the Aussie match on Saturday, 24-hr treatment, he should be good to go, I hope.

2003-2004 HLM

Group B:

This is an interesting group as one of the tournament favorites, Argentina, look set to advance with the three other teams each having a decent shot themselves. Nigeria has talent, especially on the attacking front, but is not the leading hope among the African teams that they were before. South Korea is a capable team, but their core is starting to age a bit. Greece may never repeat their feat of Euro 2004, but they certainly are organized and experienced. South Korea and Greece both have some patriotism factors entering the tournament as the Koreans will certainly look to do better than their neighbors from the North and Greece would like to show a bit of strength to the rest of Europe. I think Nigeria will find a way to get through and join Argentina in the next round. The number of attacking options they have will test defenses, especially late in games.

Argentina:
    How do you solve a problem like Maradona? (I have no idea if that is original, but I thought it was funny) Argentina may be more talented than most teams, but their manager could be the one to hold them back with his baffling selections and lack of tactical awareness. That said he is a national hero and should at least be able to motivate his team. This team is golden when it comes to attacking depth, but problematic choices for both the preliminary and final squads mean that defensive depth is non-existent and quite a few players are unproven. Argentina can probably score their way through the group stages, but one has to wonder how they will do in holding on to leads late in games. They are also in a world of hurt if Javier Mascherano decides to pick up a few cards.

If I were Maradona…
    I would make a much better effort at actually being at the World Cup unlike the 1994 debacle. I would also try to use some common sense when picking the team and stop relying on some of the over-the-hill veterans. I also need to find a way to utilize as much of the attacking talent as possible. Here is a realistic line-up:

----------------Romero
    Otamendi--Samuel--Demichelis--Heinze
    --------------Mascherano
    Messi-----------Tevez--------Di Maria
    -----------Milito------Higuain

This is the lineup I would like to see, but even Maradona would not be crazy enough to try this, but it would be a brilliant spectacle. The players are not really all that out of position, shockingly:

---------------Romero
    Otamendi--Samuel--Demichelis--Burdisso
    -------------Mascherano
    -----------Tevez---Aguero
    Messi---------------------------Higuain
    ----------------Milito

Maradona seems much more likely to go with the lineup that he has used most frequently with a few minor tweaks, which is boring, predictable, and uses a few players that are only there to play a very narrow role and relegate talent to the bench:

----------------Romero
    Otamendi--Samuel--Dimichelis--Heinze
    --------------Mascherano
    Gutierrez--Messi--Veron--Di Maria
    ---------------Higuain

The goalkeepers have a whopping 12 caps combined, but Sergio Romero is probably the most talented with Mariano Andujar as a capable backup. The defense will struggle if they need to play anyone outside of their top five, which I guess would be the other two defenders in the squad. Nicolas Otamendi is good, but young, and Gabriel Heinze and Martin Demichelis have a horrific tendency to be awful against good teams. Jonas Gutierrez may be forced to slide back to right-back at times but will instead likely provide cover in the midfield for the attacking options. Javier Mascherano will be critical in the middle as Maradona opted not to bring any other real central midfielders who are accustomed to defensive responsibilities besides Mario Bolatti. Carlos Tevez would be helpful in this situation although asking him to stay back would reduce his contributions to the attack. Fortunately, other people will easily pick up that slack with none other than Juan Sebastian Veron being critical in this regard. Did you think that I was going to say Lionel Messi? Maradona may be the only man in the world of keeping Messi in check, but I am sure he will find a way to be himself. Angel Di Maria will bring his pace to the left wing and Maxi Rodriguez is a capable backup on the flanks. Gonzalo Higuain, possibly the most under-appreciated players in the world, has finally forced himself into the main spot upfront, which is far better than relying on the ancient Martin Palermo, who is another one of the questionable squad selections. Diego Milito may have to content himself with a role as a substitute despite all of the critical goals he has scored, although he should be grateful to join Samuel on the squad, unlike all their other Inter Milan teammates. Sergio Aguero is another talented player who seems to be finding it difficult to find a place to make his own, which is kind of remarkable considering he happens to be married to the manager’s daughter. Along with Aguero, Javier Pastore is a young creative option, but he is completely untested at this level. The talent is there in most positions.

Argentina probably has an easy enough group to advance, but this team could easily go out if it faces any difficulties. Some of the Argentine players left off the squad must be shaking their heads at who was chosen. Messi will be the key to success as the rest of the creative options may be stuck on the bench. He will probably be placed more centrally than he is with Barcelona. At least Maradona will have no shortage of ways to change the game from the bench. This defense really frightens me. It is a bit old and not all that talented. Maradona also seems to be under the belief that playing four central defenders will prevent the need for help from the midfield. This team will go as far as the man in charge allows them to go. They have some interesting possibilities for second round matchups.

Nigeria
    Nigeria may have more striking options than Argentina, but their success will be highly dependant on a solid defense and midfield. They have some star players in that area, but are lacking a bit of depth. While they may have strikers, it will be difficult to figure out which options are the best to start and which ones should come off the bench. The team has dropped off the radar after failing to qualify for the last World Cup, but this squad should be capable of being one of the African teams to take advantage of the location of this cup. Here is a possible lineup:

---------Enyeama
    Odiah--Yobo--Afolabi--Taiwo
    --------Mikel--Yussuf
    Obasi----------------Obinna
    ------Yakubu--Odemwingie

Sorting out that strike force will be a job for someone who actually gets paid to do this. Chinedu Obasi and Victor Obinna can play up front as well as on the wing and the team is a bit short in the attacking midfield options with Kalu Uche and John Utaka capable of providing in that area. The rest of the midfield will be quite combative with John Obi Mikel and Ayila Yussuf being quite capable of shielding the defense and Dickson Etuhu and Sani Kaita in position to fill in when necessary. The defense needs some shielding as three spots are pretty settles with Rabiu Afolabi and Danny from Bolton (formerly Danny from Watford, look up his actual last name yourself if you do not know). Look for Taye Taiwo to be a force in starting attacks on the left-hand side. Obafemi Martins could be a starter, but he would also be an effective substitute with his pace. Ageless wonder Nwankwo Kanu will also provide useful experience in late game situations.

Nigeria has not been the focus of attention of African football for a while, but a strong performance in this group could put them right back into the spotlight. This group is one that they can get out of and their influx of young attacking talent should serve them well even though their defense is not particularly deep. They should have enough strength in positions across the pitch to do well. The main question from an attacking perspective will be creativity from the central midfield and how they will handle situations in which direct attacks are not as effective.

South Korea:

South Korea is a transitional phase as the veterans who helped them make a strong run in 2002 probably playing their last World Cup while a few players should be in a position to show their importance to the team in years to come. Also of national importance is the fact that North Korea is in the field this year and the two countries will both be looking to do better than the other. This continues the trend in Asia of growth in East Asia at the expense of the West Asian countries, which are without a representative. In order for the Koreans to advance, they will need a good result against Greece in their opening game ahead of tricky ties against Argentina and Nigeria. A winner in that match will put one of those teams in a good spot. Here is a line-up idea:
    --------Lee(1)
    Cha--Kang--Cho--Kim(15)
    Lee(17)--Ki--Kim(5)--Park(7)
    ----Park(10)--Lee(20)

I opted for a blend of youth and experience with the two emerging midfielders Ki Sung-Yong and Lee Chung-Yong joining veterans Park Ji-Sung and Kim Nam-Il. You can also Lee Young-Pyo to play a role in the defense and Ahn Jung-Hwan to contribute to the attack. The defense listed is young, but pretty talented, and the options off the bench, like Oh Beom-Seok on the right and Lee Jung-Soo in the middle can easily help out. The fullbacks, including Cha Du-Ri and Kim Dong-Jin, are probably a better group overall than the center backs, but Lee Woon-Jae should be able to organize the defense in front of him. Emerging striker Park Chu-Young should provide good support to Lee Dong-Gook, but the attacking options are off the bench beyond Ahn are a bit thin, making me wonder if one of the young midfielders will be sacrificed for Kim Jung-Woo in the midfield. Young midfielder Kim Bo-Kyung is an interesting addition to the final squad.

This Korean side is talented and organized, but it just may not have the overall attacking prowess necessary to progress. The midfield will be extremely hard-working in protecting their vulnerabilities in the center of their defense, but they will be relying heavily on players who have not featured on this big of a stage to provide a creative spark. The strike partnership that has often carried them in the past will probably not be held together as age will need to make way for some of the younger options. As I said earlier, a win against Greece before facing Argentina is critical for this team. In the end, this will probably be the end of the line for several players who have been critical in raising the reputation of the South Korean national team.

Greece:
    Greece will always struggle to live up to the expectations of the miracle run that saw them win Euro 2004. Teams are now clued into the way in which they play the game and will continue to find new ways to attack the compact Greek defense. All that being said, this team is sneaking in a bit under the radar compared to previous teams, and the pieces are still there for a strong effort against some solid attacking sides in this group. Whether this team will find a way to take a breather from defending to score some goals is another matter. This team has played with one another for a long time and is filled with experience in big situations. Also do not underestimate the possible effects of the financial crisis in their country spurring this squad on to make their country proud in a time where they are getting roundly criticized by other countries around the world. Here is a line-up idea:

----------------Chalkias
    Seitaridis--Kyriagos--Moras--Torosidis
    --Katsouranis--Karagounis--Tziolis
    Salpigidis-------------------Samaras
    ---------------- Gekas

Greece has a few questions to answer about the goalkeeping situation, but Kostas Chalkias is probably the best candidate to replace everyone’s favorite gray-haired goalie. The defense in front of him is pretty settled with veterans like Giourkas Seitaridis and Sotirios Kyrgiakos. Vasilis Torosidis could be pushed into midfield to add steel to allow Nikos Spiropoulos to slide in at left-back and Sokratis Papastathopoulos could see action in the middle. The midfield will be its usual defensive setup with Kostas Katsouranis playing the holding role and Giorgos Karagounis feeding the attack. Christos Patsatzoglu and Alexandros Tziolis will battle it out for a midfield spot if Torosidis is kept in defense and either would be useful for further defense late in games. The attacking trident will be responsible for creating most of the chances with Georgios Samaras coming in on the left and Dimitris Salpigidis doing his work on the right. Young midfield wizard Sotiris Ninis would be the one to provide reinforcement in this area. Theofanis Gekas and Angelos Charisteas will be battling for the main spot up front, but Gekas is probably in better form this month and Charisteas will have plenty to do coming off the bench.

This Greek team has the experience and talent to give anyone a bit of trouble in the tournament. They survived a pretty tough group in qualifying and a tricky playoff to make it here, so nobody should be completely dismissing their chances. They will present a very secure defense against the likes of Argentina, but against an opponent like South Korea it is questionable how adventurous the team will be in trying to go forward to try to win the game. A good result in the opening game will put them in a much better place against Nigeria and they could face an already-qualified Argentina in the final game. In the end, I think this team will not find a way through, but will do a pretty decent job of making a few games look pretty ugly. While the team will be set up defensively, there are weaknesses in the back and goal that might be exposed at this level.

Here is an interesting little story on how much the US team is being paid for its appearance... and the record-breaking $20 million bonus they would get if they win the whole thing.

--Jason "this is sorta like offering Cornell a $20 million bonus for winning the NCAA tourney, isn't it?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Here is an interesting little story on how much the US team is being paid for its appearance... and the record-breaking $20 million bonus they would get if they win the whole thing.

--Jason "this is sorta like offering Cornell a $20 million bonus for winning the NCAA tourney, isn't it?" Evans
    hmm, 78k ain't bad for being a "complete and utter disappointment." Maybe I could suit up? I've still got the ol' college boots...

Well, of all the injuries we've heard, there's one hot on the press that is a definite gamechanger. Didier Drogba fractured his elbow and is OUT of the World Cup. Devestating news for an Ivory Coast team that I thought could be a force with Drogba up front in their group with Brazil and Portugal. Now, their chances of advancing out of the group have taken a serious blow.

Other news has England captain Rio Ferdinand getting tests for a knee injury. We'll see how serious it is.

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Well, of all the injuries we've heard, there's one hot on the press that is a definite gamechanger. Didier Drogba fractured his elbow and is OUT of the World Cup. Devestating news for an Ivory Coast team that I thought could be a force with Drogba up front in their group with Brazil and Portugal. Now, their chances of advancing out of the group have taken a serious blow.

Other news has England captain Rio Ferdinand getting tests for a knee injury. We'll see how serious it is.
    just saw these as well. wow. this is a HUGE blow for IC

and a pretty big blow for England as well if it turns out to be serious for RIO.

man, so many injuries happening right now. makes me nervous for the game against Australia

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    just saw these as well. wow. this is a HUGE blow for IC

and a pretty big blow for England as well if it turns out to be serious for RIO.

man, so many injuries happening right now. makes me nervous for the game against Australia
    Just reported: Rio is also OUT. Two team captains in one day...astounding.

Bob Bradley, please do us all a favor and doublewrap everyone on our team in bubblewrap...then put those air wings around them and bubblewrap them again.

2003-2004 HLM