New sheriff in town....APPLE

Funny how Apple is now Big Brother, in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Google is Big Brother. Apple just makes it look cool.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Lot of people reversing the 1984 ad these days.

Still, they make good products.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Lot of people reversing the 1984 ad these days.

Still, they make good products.

While being a Duke fanatic, Im also an APPLE enthusiast. Will be getting an iPad very soon Anybody else cant wait for the WWDC June 7-11? New iphone 4.0 software coming out and new iPhone announced? Just me??

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    While being a Duke fanatic, Im also an APPLE enthusiast. Will be getting an iPad very soon Anybody else cant wait for the WWDC June 7-11? New iphone 4.0 software coming out and new iPhone announced? Just me??
    can't wait to see iphone 4.0 for the first ti... oh wait

for those of you that have an iPad, what are some of the pros and cons of it?

i didnt really want on until i went into the store the other day and played with it. then i just left the apple store really wanting one.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    for those of you that have an iPad, what are some of the pros and cons of it?

i didnt really want on until i went into the store the other day and played with it. then i just left the apple store really wanting one.
    Well it depends on whether you want the 3G + Wifi or the Wifi-only ($130 less).

I recommend getting the 3G if you want to use it out and about more but I recommend the Wifi-Only if you use it at home or at your job, basically where you get wifi access.
    As for Pros and Cons

Pros
    - Awesome Web Surfing Experience
    - HD Quality Movies and Youtube videos
    - iBooks store is excellent for readers
    - Tons of iPad apps from App Store that are great to choose from.
    - Native Apps have been re-created to fill the iPad's bigger screen.
    - For 3G+Wifi, can turn 3G off when not using and therefore not have to pay until you actually need it.

Cons
    - Does everything iPhone can do just on bigger screen
    - Costs are starting at $500.
    - 3G model has a monthly fee.
    - No multitasking (will have it in September though)

I don't have an iPad but I am soon getting one and know a lot about the device. Have gone to the Apple Store a few times and toyed around with it also.

Well it depends on whether you want the 3G + Wifi or the Wifi-only ($130 less).

I recommend getting the 3G if you want to use it out and about more but I recommend the Wifi-Only if you use it at home or at your job, basically where you get wifi access.
    As for Pros and Cons

Pros
    - Awesome Web Surfing Experience
    - HD Quality Movies and Youtube videos
    - iBooks store is excellent for readers
    - Tons of iPad apps from App Store that are great to choose from.
    - Native Apps have been re-created to fill the iPad's bigger screen.
    - For 3G+Wifi, can turn 3G off when not using and therefore not have to pay until you actually need it.

Cons
    - Does everything iPhone can do just on bigger screen
    - Costs are starting at $500.
    - 3G model has a monthly fee.
    - No multitasking (will have it in September though)

I don't have an iPad but I am soon getting one and know a lot about the device. Have gone to the Apple Store a few times and toyed around with it also.
    sweet! Thanks!

are you a mac user ? iphone? macbook?

I have both and so I was trying to justify getting an ipad if it is basically the same as an iphone except bigger, and macbook, except smaller

sweet! Thanks!

are you a mac user ? iphone? macbook?

I have both and so I was trying to justify getting an ipad if it is basically the same as an iphone except bigger, and macbook, except smaller
    Happy iPhone and Macbook user.

It's not a smaller macbook because it was more modeled after the iPhone but the thing about whether it is the same as an iPhone except bigger is that yes, it kind of is, but thats not exactly a bad thing. You can store movies on that instead of with your iPhone and watch them in full HD or just read a book on there wherever, whenever. Also, where the iPad is concerned, you can't ignore that old saying, "bigger is better." Plus, the iPad is more portable than any netbook, macbook you use on-the-go. As for at home, its great for web-surfing in bed, on the couch, hell on the toilet if you want. Those are some things that might be a little hard to do with a macbook.

It's basically a replacement for a netbook but the user experience is a lot more entertaining and intuitive and the device itself is much more portable than a netbook.

Happy iPhone and Macbook user.

It's not a smaller macbook because it was more modeled after the iPhone but the thing about whether it is the same as an iPhone except bigger is that yes, it kind of is, but thats not exactly a bad thing. You can store movies on that instead of with your iPhone and watch them in full HD or just read a book on there wherever, whenever. Also, where the iPad is concerned, you can't ignore that old saying, "bigger is better." Plus, the iPad is more portable than any netbook, macbook you use on-the-go. As for at home, its great for web-surfing in bed, on the couch, hell on the toilet if you want. Those are some things that might be a little hard to do with a macbook.

It's basically a replacement for a netbook but the user experience is a lot more entertaining and intuitive and the device itself is much more portable than a netbook.
    gotcha,

makes sense. thanks for the info. now if i can just convince my fiance...

gotcha,

makes sense. thanks for the info. now if i can just convince my fiance...
    No problem, haha good luck with that.

No problem, haha good luck with that.
    I have two friends who bought iPads to "share" with their wives and have now resigned themselves to the fact that they will never get it away from the significant other.

Funny, but aside from illustrating who rules the home front, it does point to the fact that the iPad is a more indivudualized device than a laptop. It's more like a smart phone than a computer in this respect. It is tied to a person's iTunes account for purchases and syncing. If you sync to a second person you essentially lose the first. This really isn't a multi-user computer; it's more tied to a single person.

I have an iPad, purchased by the univeristy where I work, and consider it a beautiful device. It is extremely mobile, has a beautiful screen and works very well as a media viewing platform. For content creation I use a computer.

A thing I particularly like about the iPad is that it does VPN into my school very nicely and I can use an RDP/VNC client to connect to the computers and servers there no matter where I might be. The other night I was sitting downtown sipping a beer at a restaurant overlooking a waterfall and managing updates on one of the servers at school. Not too shabby.

One thing I don't particularly like is that it handles files differently from your average computer. Data files are tied to the App that runs them and are stored where the App can find them, not where you might like to put them. Apple wants you to transfer files through iTunes or iWork.com and that is different from the way I am used to.

I really like the iPad, but I am surprised at the strong sales and I still haven't decided if I would buy one for my own. Luckily I don't have to make that decision right now.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I have two friends who bought iPads to "share" with their wives and have now resigned themselves to the fact that they will never get it away from the significant other.

Funny, but aside from illustrating who rules the home front, it does point to the fact that the iPad is a more indivudualized device than a laptop. It's more like a smart phone than a computer in this respect. It is tied to a person's iTunes account for purchases and syncing. If you sync to a second person you essentially lose the first. This really isn't a multi-user computer; it's more tied to a single person.

I have an iPad, purchased by the univeristy where I work, and consider it a beautiful device. It is extremely mobile, has a beautiful screen and works very well as a media viewing platform. For content creation I use a computer.

A thing I particularly like about the iPad is that it does VPN into my school very nicely and I can use an RDP/VNC client to connect to the computers and servers there no matter where I might be. The other night I was sitting downtown sipping a beer at a restaurant overlooking a waterfall and managing updates on one of the servers at school. Not too shabby.

One thing I don't particularly like is that it handles files differently from your average computer. Data files are tied to the App that runs them and are stored where the App can find them, not where you might like to put them. Apple wants you to transfer files through iTunes or iWork.com and that is different from the way I am used to.

I really like the iPad, but I am surprised at the strong sales and I still haven't decided if I would buy one for my own. Luckily I don't have to make that decision right now.
    good insite! thanks!

what are the reasons you are still not sold for personal purchase? anything specific?

good insite! thanks!

what are the reasons you are still not sold for personal purchase? anything specific?
    I like the iPad, but I already have an iPhone and a laptop (MacBook Pro). The iPad delivers added convenience for several things I do, but doesn't really impact my job if I'm not traveling since I do most of my work on a desktop computer. Overall about 50% of the things I do on the iPad I could do on my iPhone; another 45% I could do on my laptop. I will always carry my phone everywhere so the iPad would really replace the laptop functions when I'm moving about.

The question for me is whether or not the added screen real estate and/or mobility is worth the money.

Note: I haven't mentioned the iPad as an eReader because I'm not really using it for that. Those in my group who have used it like it very much for that purpose.

Did I mention that the iPad is really really cool? It is.