Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost finale

Lost finale

Holy freakin crap. Walt, a new traitor in the midtst, and the first future flash, can anyone really ask for anything more?

Thumbs up Good Good Good Vibrations

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    Holy freakin crap. Walt, a new traitor in the midtst, and the first future flash, can anyone really ask for anything more?
    Since you started a new finale thread, I'll ask the question JimSumner beat me to in the other one. Who saw that coming? Sure as heck not me. But I loved every aspect of the show - 1 hour and 58 minutes of feel good, Hurley was magnificent, everyone who deserved it, got it, except Charlie, but that was very noble and had a peaceful feeling to it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Who saw that coming? Sure as heck not me. .
    That was one of the few things I saw coming. I couldn't place the timeline early on and figured it must be the future. That was just classic. Exactly what a season finale should be. It had everything. I especially love how they tie everything together, including the bus episode, which at the time seemed like a filler. It answered many questions and resolved a lot of conflict (mostly by killing everyone), and at the same time posed just as many new questions and conflicts.
    What was up with Locke? He seemed like such a badass and then just backed down.

I am just to old for all of this pressure. First there is the annual pause for Duke hoops, and now I have to to wait until January to find out what is going on in the future. Great show, and I'd bet that we see Charlie again. Whose obit was that? And who is it that she has to get back to? Lots of questions answered, but they sure left us with more. Let the speculation begin. Jason, a little help, please.

Cool I was lost, but I loved it

I, for one, did not see that coming. I am going to go into major 'Lost' withdrawls by this time next week... & they will last until January! Nooooooooooooo!!!!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

The obit was John Locke. No one showing up for HIS funeral, I'll tell you that. Apparently something will happen on the island that will transform Jack from "I will get everyone off this island!" to "I want to get back there!" I just wonder what.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    The obit was John Locke. No one showing up for HIS funeral, I'll tell you that. Apparently something will happen on the island that will transform Jack from "I will get everyone off this island!" to "I want to get back there!" I just wonder what.
    That makes sense that is was Locke's obit. Of course, not knowing it was the future until the end prevented that guess during the show. I would think that Kate had to get back to Sawyer.

One thing I did notice and comment to myself about was Jack's cell phone. I thought to myself when he used it "that is way to sleek and thin to have been out in 2004. It is an anachronism." No, it wasnt, I just didn't connect the dots too well and put it current time, but the clue was there. Would have been really cool if it had been an iPhone - it wasn't because it was a flip phone.

As for why he wants to go back to the island, his life is a drug addicted (oxycodone) mess in the real world. And if they were rescued back in late 2004 or early 2005, a few months after the plane crashed in what? August 2004, then it being 2007 pretty much makes sense giving Jack enough time to travel the world on his "gold pass" and get so messed up.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

*Spoilers*

Amazing, amazing episode. Are people throwing out theories or actual facts? How do you know that it was Locke's funeral? And that Walt was Jacob? I'm still sorting through my thoughts but I will say that I loved the flash forward and the death of Charlie (I think he's really dead). My three nitpiks of this finale were:

1) Why does Mikhail never die? This had better get explained and in some way that actually is feasible.

2) Charlie's death. He had more than enough time to escape the grenade. Why didn't he just run out of the room and shut the door? Why didn't he and Desmond just jump into the sub pool and swim out?

3) January? Ahhhh, too long.

The phone was the dead giveaway that it was a "flash-forward" not a flashback. My wife mentioned something about it and said she was surprised that they would get something like that wrong. I smiled and said, "yeah, their attention to detail is usually better than that." She turned to me and said, "unless it is not a mistake." I paused and said, "Bingo."

I am not sure what we make of Jack's refernce to his father being alive. I think that may have been a drug-induced mistake, not a sign that Christian Sheppard will somehow be brought back to life.

Whose funeral was it? I think Locke is a decent guess, but I have a hard time seeing Locke EVER leaving the island. If he did leave, I think he would have people at his funeral. Locke has had people love him and he is not someone who pushes everyone away. If we are talking about someone who would not have a single soul at his funeral, I think Sawyer is a better guess.

So, who was Kate with? Maybe it is Nathan Fillian, the cop she was engaged to. Maybe it is someone else who was not on the island. We have so little to go on there. Kate said, "I haev to get back to him." How do we know she is talking about a spouse/lover? What if she is talking about her child?

I think Mikhail is dead. Charlie is dead too, though we may get to see him in a flashback.

Questions-- why was Penny Whitmore transmitting on that frequency at that moment? That seemed more than a little contrived. Great shocking moment though. Charlie calmly writing "Not Penny's Boat" on his hand as he waited to die was incredibly powerful!! My wife wass bothered by that scene and said Charlie could have saved himself by merely going outside the door before he closed it, but I disagree. Charlie knew his fate. He was happy to take it if it meant the people he loved would get rescued. Thanks to the flash-forward, we know at least some of them will get off the island-- and I think it is a safe bet that Claire and Aaron are two of them.

I wonder what Smoke-Walt told Locke to get him to kill Naomi. I imagine we will see that in a flashback very early in next season. I liked Locke walking away after not killing Jack. He did not stick around because he is not part of the Lostaways anymore. Nice touch. By the way, did anyone get the fact that Locke was OK because he had been shot in the kidney... but his kidney had been removed years ago so it was not a fatal shot? I wonder if it will come out that Ben intentionally shot Locke in a spot that would not be fatal.

What do the Lostaways do with Ben? I think they will have to set him free and team up with The Others to fight off the folks Naomi was calling. Ben keeps on saying he is a good guy. He does some nasty stuff, but it would be just like the show to turn him into someone the Lostaways need to survive.

I wonder if Naomi/Jack placed a phone call to The Dharma Initiative. 15+ years after being "purged" from the island, are they ready to come back?

I hate that we will have to wait until February (not Janaury) to pick this up, but I have faith the wait will certainly be worth it. The story is going in some exciting directions and we get treated to brilliant writing and acting along the way. What a fantastic show!

-Jason "more later" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    By the way, did anyone get the fact that Locke was OK because he had been shot in the kidney... but his kidney had been removed years ago so it was not a fatal shot? I wonder if it will come out that Ben intentionally shot Locke in a spot that would not be fatal.
    As I've said before, Ben didn't fatally wound Locke because he fears Jacob, and he knows that Jacob feels some sort of favoritism for Locke.

And, lo and behold, Jacob (through Walt a.k.a Smokie) saves Locke.

I wonder if Naomi/Jack placed a phone call to The Dharma Initiative. 15+ years after being "purged" from the island, are they ready to come back?
    That's my guess as well. The Hansos are trying to get back to the island, at the very least to try and find out what the hell happened when, all of a sudden they lost contact with the initiative.

Charlie had to die to make Desmond vision complete. He wanted Claire and Aaron to be rescued.

A couple other things:

I think this was mentioned but in the flash fowrad Jack mentions his dad being more drunk then him? I'll be curious how they explain that.

It was Kate Jack was calling on the cell, not Sarah

That seemed like a Volvo Kate was driving when she arrived to meet Jack, not a bad ride for a fugitive.

My gut tells me the obit was either Locke, or Ben's. Jack would have gained an appreciation for what been was doing given what happened upon his return.

WOuld a grenade in the water really have been able to blow the glass window? Plausible Mikhal got away since he was nailed with a spear, but I think the grenade did him in.

Awesome scene where Sawyer shoots Tom. He told him in a previous episode he owed him IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    *Spoilers*

Amazing, amazing episode. Are people throwing out theories or actual facts? How do you know that it was Locke's funeral? And that Walt was Jacob? I'm still sorting through my thoughts but I will say that I loved the flash forward and the death of Charlie (I think he's really dead). My three nitpiks of this finale were:

1) Why does Mikhail never die? This had better get explained and in some way that actually is feasible.

2) Charlie's death. He had more than enough time to escape the grenade. Why didn't he just run out of the room and shut the door? Why didn't he and Desmond just jump into the sub pool and swim out?

3) January? Ahhhh, too long.
    We are speculating that Walt was the smoke-monster taking human form-- the way it did when it was Yemi and when it was Kate's horse and Jack's father. Is the smoke-monster controlled by Jacob or connected to Jacob? I dunno.

Mikhail is dead now. He was blown up by the grenade. I agree that bringing him back to life after a spear-gun in his chest is sorta weak, but he is a resilliant dude. He is gone for good now though.

Charlie had to shot to door to keep Desmond from coming in there to talk to Penny. There was no time to explain and keep Desmond out. If Charlie does not close the door, the grenade/flood would have killed Desmond too. Plus, Charlie knew it was his fate to die here so that Claire and Aaron could live.

-Jason "not January, February" Evans

We are speculating that Walt was the smoke-monster taking human form-- the way it did when it was Yemi and when it was Kate's horse and Jack's father. Is the smoke-monster controlled by Jacob or connected to Jacob? I dunno.

Mikhail is dead now. He was blown up by the grenade. I agree that bringing him back to life after a spear-gun in his chest is sorta weak, but he is a resilliant dude. He is gone for good now though.

Charlie had to shot to door to keep Desmond from coming in there to talk to Penny. There was no time to explain and keep Desmond out. If Charlie does not close the door, the grenade/flood would have killed Desmond too. Plus, Charlie knew it was his fate to die here so that Claire and Aaron could live.

-Jason "not January, February" Evans

February! Even worse! Good explanation Jason on why Charlie "had" to die but it still seems a little forced to me. The looking glass would not have flooded immediately and since Desmond and Charlie swam into the base, I am assuming they had the ability to swim back up. Why do they need the diving gear in the first place? Even if Charlie died, that does not mean Claire and Aaron would not have been rescued. Desmond saved Charlie multiple times without effecting the general course of things. I really started to like Charlie towards the end (as the writers made Charlie eminently likeable to make his death more powerful) and was hoping he could escape with Claire and Aaron. Then Desmond could have got another "vision" of Charlie dieing but when he was old and gray. Oh well, RIP Charlie.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cunning Linguist View Post
    My question is did the Russian cyclops blow himself up as well..??
    My theory is no, he didn't blow himself up.

1) He survived being blow'd up worse at the radio station Locke exploded.

2) He survived the sonic barrier which stops the smoke creature.

3) He survived being shot in the chest with a spear gun, and apparently was well enough to swim IN SALT WATER WITH AN OPEN WOUND (ouch), and if that wasn't enough, he taunted Charlie as well.

So, of course he did not blow himself up, although one imagines that he couldn't have been more than four feet away from the grenade when it exploded at the pressure window (or the grenade would have missed the window entirely.)

Also, he's survived four normally fatal murder attempts/explosions, he's Russian, and he's got weird eyes. Remind you all of anyone? ;-)

Naw. I'm not convinced.

Perhaps the writers will use some of the island's mysticism to explain why it's so hard to kill Mikhail (does he have Richard Alpert-like longevity???) but I'm convinced he's not dead. Perhaps he has a missing hand to go with his missing eye (how cool was that!!!)

saw on another board the speculation that the obit/article was for a Jeremy Bentham. A heretofore unknown character named after a philosopher (like Locke & Desmond). I'm guessing he's the leader of Naomi's group.

Wow!

I have never been that mesmerized and awestruck by a TV show. Talk about a season finale that delivered on every level. I really was speechless after it ended. Although I did make a comment when I first saw Jack use his cell phone that it was a razr and they weren't on the market in 2004 - so I wasn't surprised that it was the future.

There is so much to discuss and question that my head is spinning. But one very minor thing that interested me about the show is the fact that Locke and Jack (who have been consistenly positioned as the two main characters/focal points of the show -- Faith vs. Reason, etc.) both were on the verge of suicide in this episode, only to have intervening events change the course of their destiny, which I think on a much bigger scale might be an overriding theme of the show.

I do believe that in this future, Jack's dad is alive. I don't think he'd be drugged up or deranged enough to make a comment that mistakes his father being alive. I guess it's possible, but assuming he is alive, I think we are dealing with an issue of events on the island having the ability to affect the future and the past (since Christian died before they got there), which plays into the Desmond flashback time continuum issue and his visions, or there is an alternate/parllel universe thing going on.

This is really a shot in the dark but, is it possible that when you arrive on the island time stops for each individual - in a sense you have entered a different space-time continuum, but when they go back to the real world - by going back through the looking glass - the island has the ability to send you back to any point in time? That would allow people to resolve personal issues in a different manner than the way that led them to undesirable places in their lives. For example, could Jack go back to the "present" at a time that allows him to restore his relationship with his dad and prevent him from going on his death drinking binge in Australia? Even if he did, it seems that Christian is not staying on the wagon. This might explain Desmond's excursion through time when the hatch exploded . Again - this is a shot in the dark - just trying to make some sense of things.

February is too long. During the show last night I kept thinking, I want to find out what happens but I don't want the show to end.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I do believe that in this future, Jack's dad is alive. I don't think he'd be drugged up or deranged enough to make a comment that mistakes his father being alive. I guess it's possible, but assuming he is alive, I think we are dealing with an issue of events on the island having the ability to affect the future and the past (since Christian died before they got there), which plays into the Desmond flashback time continuum issue and his visions, or there is an alternate/parllel universe thing going on.
    Christian is dead. Dead dead dead. The producers have said this over and over and over.

loved the show...did they have enough tv breaks ??

We'll See

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Christian is dead. Dead dead dead. The producers have said this over and over and over.
    They've said that he is dead and not on the island. But that leaves open the possibility that he is alive in a "parallel" existence that can be accessed either from the island or because of events that occur on the island.

I know what they've said, but I am not convinced that Christian is not alive in the flash-forward we saw.

Worth reading: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20040061,00.html

At the end, Jensen agrees with Feldspar that Christian is dead dead dead dead.