Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Calhoun locks in long term

    Looks like he'll be around a while longer yet...

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5170571

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    He is nipping at K's heels, about a season and a half behind in terms of total wins. K needs to stick around longer than Calhoun.

    I think Calhoun will coach until his health forces him to quit or -- maybe -- until some recruiting scandal brings him down. Contract length was never going to be an issue in my mind.

    --Jason "K currently leads 868 - 823, I believe" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He is nipping at K's heels, about a season and a half behind in terms of total wins. K needs to stick around longer than Calhoun.

    I think Calhoun will coach until his health forces him to quit or -- maybe -- until some recruiting scandal brings him down. Contract length was never going to be an issue in my mind.

    --Jason "K currently leads 868 - 823, I believe" Evans
    I don't think K needs to worry too much about Calhoun, because the win differential between K and Calhoun has been increasing in the wrong direction for the UConn coach.

    If you take the last 6 seasons, K amassed 174 victories to Calhouns 143 (assuming my math is correct. So if the current 6 years keeps the same pace K will add about 5 wins a year to the margin (29 games a season vs 24ish).

    If K goes 5 more years at this pace, he will add 25 more games (or an avg UConn season). Calhoun could conceivably catch K, but his health is a huge ???? and I dont see him finishing out his contract, maybe instead going 3 or 4 years. K seems healthy *knock on wood* so if K coaches just 3 more years, Calhoun has to pull out two 30 win seasons after he is gone to catch him. The problem for Calhoun is his program is trending in the wrong direction, avging just 22 wins over the last 4 years.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Contract extensions don't mean much in judging how long a coach will be around. The coach can leave anytime during the contract, and the university can fire the coach at any time, without cause, just paying out the severance (usually the $ left remaining on the contract). It's expensive for a university to do it, but it happens all the time.

    I sometimes wonder, though, how much K is motivated to stay at Duke by the fact that Boeheim and Calhoun are within mathematical striking distance...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    I sometimes wonder, though, how much K is motivated to stay at Duke by the fact that Boeheim and Calhoun are within mathematical striking distance...
    I'm sure all K thinks about is people catching him in wins...probably the only reason he wanted to win the national championship this year was to add an extra few games of space between him and the jims....

    NOT
    basketball is back, baby!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    So he doesn't care at all about the possibility of Calhoun surpassing him in wins? Is that your point?

    That seems naive. Could be true... could be. I doubt the legacy thing keeps him awake at night, but I wonder how much it influences his decision. I'm sure it's not all-consuming, but I doubt it's zero. It's a human quality to think about those things. Especially with JC.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm sure all K thinks about is people catching him in wins...probably the only reason he wanted to win the national championship this year was to add an extra few games of space between him and the jims....

    NOT
    K an Beoheim are fairly close. I don't think K would mind that much if Jimmy B passed him someday.

    A couple interesting facts about the 3 winningest active coaches.

    • Calhoun is the oldest, at 67. Boeheim is 65 and K is 63.
    • Calhoun started coaching in 1972, K in 1975, Jimmy B in 1976.


    It will likely take Boeheim 2 more years to pass Dean Smith as the coach with the most wins at any one school. Jimmy B has 829 wins at Syracuse compared to Dean's 879 at UNC. By comparison, K has 795 wins at Duke.

    --Jason "if you want to see, here is the list of all coaches with 600+ wins in Division I" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    K an Beoheim are fairly close. I don't think K would mind that much if Jimmy B passed him someday.

    A couple interesting facts about the 3 winningest active coaches.

    • Calhoun is the oldest, at 67. Boeheim is 65 and K is 63.
    • Calhoun started coaching in 1972, K in 1975, Jimmy B in 1976.


    It will likely take Boeheim 2 more years to pass Dean Smith as the coach with the most wins at any one school. Jimmy B has 829 wins at Syracuse compared to Dean's 879 at UNC. By comparison, K has 795 wins at Duke.

    --Jason "if you want to see, here is the list of all coaches with 600+ wins in Division I" Evans
    Which raises the interesting question of whether K will ever pass Boeheim for wins at one school. If he coaches even one season longer than Jim, his odds are decent. If he doesn't, it would probably take anywhere from 5-8 years of both of them coaching at their recent win levels for K to overtake him.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    So he doesn't care at all about the possibility of Calhoun surpassing him in wins? Is that your point?
    Whether he cares or not, I think of coach K highly enough that he will retire when he is ready to retire rather than thinking 'oh gotta make sure i put a few more wins between me and some guy who is 30+ wins behind and 5 years older...
    basketball is back, baby!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Retirement is not the risk. It's the NBA.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    Retirement is not the risk. It's the NBA.
    For who? K will never go to the NBA.

  12. #12
    There's a greater risk that I'll coach in the NBA than K.

    Personally, I think that he's aware of overall wins and will claim that title with some pride because of Knight. All the rest of the numerical variations? I believe he could care less.

    Championships ... That's what K is all about at this point. He's talked many times about the journey. Teaching players to be the best they can be and helping guide them to championship ... That's what motivates him. He's very secure with his legacy. This year ... This team ... This journey ... THAT's what motivates him!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    That kind of sounds like Doug Gottlieb saying, "Duke will not win the NCAA tournament." Bold. Could very well be prescient. But ultimately it's just a guy making a categorical statement without a foundation sufficient to justify a claim of absolute certainty.

    I hope you are right. And I do think it's unlikely K will coach in the the NBA. But K has never said, "I'll never coach in the NBA." At the end of a long career, it must be tempting sometimes. The money; the new challenge, the prospect of winning the tri-fecta (NCAA, NBA, Olympic Gold).

    My point was this: When some NBA owner comes around waving bags of dollars, does K ever think to himself, "No, I want that record, and I don't want Calhoun to have it."? It's speculation, but I'll bet there's a part of him that thinks about that in his calculus when a $50 million NBA job is floated.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    That kind of sounds like Doug Gottlieb saying, "Duke will not win the NCAA tournament." Bold. Could very well be prescient. But ultimately it's just a guy making a categorical statement without a foundation sufficient to justify a claim of absolute certainty.

    I hope you are right. And I do think it's unlikely K will coach in the the NBA. But K has never said, "I'll never coach in the NBA." At the end of a long career, it must be tempting sometimes. The money; the new challenge, the prospect of winning the tri-fecta (NCAA, NBA, Olympic Gold).

    My point was this: When some NBA owner comes around waving bags of dollars, does K ever think to himself, "No, I want that record, and I don't want Calhoun to have it."? It's speculation, but I'll bet there's a part of him that thinks about that in his calculus when a $50 million NBA job is floated.
    “I’m not leaving Duke,” Krzyzewski said. “Whatever you hear about anything like that, I would never leave Duke until I leave coaching. Anything else that’s being said would be just somebody saying stuff.”
    From last summer.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    My point was this: When some NBA owner comes around waving bags of dollars, does K ever think to himself, "No, I want that record, and I don't want Calhoun to have it."? It's speculation, but I'll bet there's a part of him that thinks about that in his calculus when a $50 million NBA job is floated.

    What makes K different, fascinating, and virtually irreplaceable is his grasp of the larger picture. His message in his writings is so consistent ... It's the journey that counts. The journey is about Shane putting up an index card on the wall beside his bed before his senior year started that stated, among other things, "Win a national championship."

    How do you do that? What level of sacrifice, sweat, and dedication will it take to achieve that goal? In other words, what kind of journey must be undertaken?

    K's a very smart guy. He's definitely aware of numbers. He certainly knows that he has the first realistic chance of breaking 1,000 wins on the men's side. But, I still maintain he's cut from different cloth than the person about whom you speculate.

    He's said himself that he was seriously tempted by the Lakers. Why? History, tradition, following an NBA coaching icon ... And, Kobe. He envisioned some captivating journeys with the Lakers.

    He'll remain at Duke, however, because the opportunity to take a different journey every season with a new group of players and experiences enthralls him. He's also reached a new plateau. The Olympic experience helped him attain that level.

    Wooden coached almost 20 years before earning his first championship. The danger (for the rest of the college basketball world) was that Wooden was a meticulous planner. Once he'd figured out the "formula," he duplicated it over and over again.

    Something about the miraculous coaching job K just completed and watching the incredible improvement of his seniors makes me believe K is about to begin his "Wooden phase." I don't mean he'll achieve 10 championships in 12 years. But, I do believe we're about to embark upon a magical journey for the remainder of K's career.

    Numbers? Barring some outside event, K will be king of the numbers. But, he knows they're gossamer. His numbers will some day be surpassed by someone like Brad Stevens. But, his journeys he'll take with him forever. And, there's no better way to end a college basketball journey than by winning game 6 (or whatever it will become) of THE tourney. Whatever happens with the numbers happens.

    To think K spends any time contemplating numbers and plotting how best to keep Calhoun, et al, from reaching him is ludicrous. It misses the essence of what makes K "The Natural."

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    What makes K different, fascinating, and virtually irreplaceable is his grasp of the larger picture. His message in his writings is so consistent ... It's the journey that counts. The journey is about Shane putting up an index card on the wall beside his bed before his senior year started that stated, among other things, "Win a national championship."

    How do you do that? What level of sacrifice, sweat, and dedication will it take to achieve that goal? In other words, what kind of journey must be undertaken?

    K's a very smart guy. He's definitely aware of numbers. He certainly knows that he has the first realistic chance of breaking 1,000 wins on the men's side. But, I still maintain he's cut from different cloth than the person about whom you speculate.

    He's said himself that he was seriously tempted by the Lakers. Why? History, tradition, following an NBA coaching icon ... And, Kobe. He envisioned some captivating journeys with the Lakers.

    He'll remain at Duke, however, because the opportunity to take a different journey every season with a new group of players and experiences enthralls him. He's also reached a new plateau. The Olympic experience helped him attain that level.

    Wooden coached almost 20 years before earning his first championship. The danger (for the rest of the college basketball world) was that Wooden was a meticulous planner. Once he'd figured out the "formula," he duplicated it over and over again.

    Something about the miraculous coaching job K just completed and watching the incredible improvement of his seniors makes me believe K is about to begin his "Wooden phase." I don't mean he'll achieve 10 championships in 12 years. But, I do believe we're about to embark upon a magical journey for the remainder of K's career.

    Numbers? Barring some outside event, K will be king of the numbers. But, he knows they're gossamer. His numbers will some day be surpassed by someone like Brad Stevens. But, his journeys he'll take with him forever. And, there's no better way to end a college basketball journey than by winning game 6 (or whatever it will become) of THE tourney. Whatever happens with the numbers happens.

    To think K spends any time contemplating numbers and plotting how best to keep Calhoun, et al, from reaching him is ludicrous. It misses the essence of what makes K "The Natural."
    I propose that you write the preface for K's next book. What a superb post!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    What makes K different, fascinating, and virtually irreplaceable is his grasp of the larger picture.

    He'll remain at Duke, however, because the opportunity to take a different journey every season with a new group of players and experiences enthralls him. He's also reached a new plateau. The Olympic experience helped him attain that level.
    Excellent analysis. I've excerpted just a couple of points about which to add a comment.

    "fascinating... irreplaceable... larger picture" - Yes, we better appreciate his uniqueness way beyond the wins; maybe not literally unique, but close enough. He thinks about lots of stuff and in ways unlike other coaches and so-called leaders. His thinking is unusually sophisticated, subtle, nuanced.

    And for those reasons, he really impressed the NBA-Olympic guys, who were individually [I think] and collectively [I'm certain] blown away by his complexity and insight - having to do not so much with X/O, but with much "larger picture" life-relationships-interdependence-team issues. Most of them had no idea about K's emotional intelligence. He affected them, and I think that's what all those gold medals around his neck meant. That he experienced so much joy [his word, I believe] with the Olympics project testifies to his intense connection with these pros. So yes, you're spot on re "new plateau."

    I guess he's "The Natural," as long as that means he's actually "The Unnatural."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Looks like the uCon investigation is a bit more in depth than some would believe. The basketball program overspent its THREE YEAR capped contract in just one year in defending the investigation.

    The University of Connecticut has asked state officials to more than double the amount it will pay a Kansas City law firm [Bond, Schoeneck & King of Kansas City] to defend the school against an ongoing NCAA investigation into the men's basketball team.

    ... The original contract with the law firm, ... called for a three-year contract capped at $300,000.

    But state records show that UConn overspent that amount in a one-year period between April 2009 and April 2010, when more than $338,000 in legal bills were paid.
    http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...0,738386.story

    One school of thought is that if there was no wrongdoing, why is there so much being spent to "defend" against an investigation?

    On the other hand, it appears that the NCAA is looking into a whole lot of expenditures. While it does require a sizeable expediture to compile responses to requests, it can't be good that there are a multitude of expenditures on recruits that are to be investigated. Expenditures on recruits should be somewhat minimal and well documented, no?

Similar Threads

  1. Is 'Canadian' a Racist Term?
    By colchar in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 09:22 PM
  2. Ol' Roy gets another term...
    By GopherBlue in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 03:13 PM
  3. Hopefully very long-term strategic planning
    By Duke12 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 09:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •