Duke Players in the NFL Draft

So I didn't see this anywhere when i searched so i figured i'd start this.

The NFL Draft begins tomorrow. Don't expect to see any Dukies then. The next day if i have this right is rounds 2 and 3, and theoretically we could see Oghobasse, but i doubt it (apparently he didn't do well at the combine).

Day 3 (Saturday) is going to be f-ing huge. Oghobasse and Thad both have a shot at making it.

So who else is excited?
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    So I didn't see this anywhere when i searched so i figured i'd start this.

The NFL Draft begins tomorrow. Don't expect to see any Dukies then. The next day if i have this right is rounds 2 and 3, and theoretically we could see Oghobasse, but i doubt it (apparently he didn't do well at the combine).

Day 3 (Saturday) is going to be f-ing huge. Oghobasse and Thad both have a shot at making it.

So who else is excited?
    According to an analysis in the N&O, which I put zero credence in, Vinnie Rey should get drafted, but Vince Oghobasse and Thad Lewis will have to make it as undrafted free agents, which could work to their advantage.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I think Rey will get drafted, and despite some reports I expect VO to get drafted as well. Lewis will have to make it as an undrafted free agent, which will probably be better for him as he can find a team where he fits in well.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-22-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: removed comment about moderation

There was a good article about the draft prospects of our 3 guys in the Herald Sun...although Lewis says he thinks he should be drafted (and he's probably right), my guess is that he goes undrafted. While it would be exciting for him to get drafted, I think its better for him to go around as a free agent and shop himself to a team that could really use him, whether as a practice player or a legitimate guy in the depth chart.

I've now read so many different opinions on VO that I've got no clue where he'll go, or even if he'll get drafted (I can't imagine he won't, but some places have speculated that concern over injury may cause him to fall out).

If he does fall to a late round or out of the draft entirely some team will be getting a steal if he stays healthy. It seems like Rey is pretty much a lock to get drafted based on recent reports...which is awesome for him. Wish Tauiliili would have made it with a team, both were great LBs for us.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-22-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: removed comments about moderation

If Vinnie Rey gets drafted i'll be shocked. There was no buzz about him at all, he didn't make the combine...where did all this come from? Hell, Tauiliili had a better year than Vinnie Rey last year and went undrafted. Stupid silly-evaulating draft people.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-22-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: removed comments on moderation

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Anyhow: If Vinnie Rey gets drafted i'll be shocked. There was no buzz about him at all, he didn't make the combine...where did all this come from? Hell, Tauiliili had a better year than Vinnie Rey last year and went undrafted. Stupid silly-evaulating draft people.
    I'll try and dig up some of the articles I've seen about it, but he ran a pretty quick 40 at a few workouts (4.54 if my memory serves correctly). A lot of teams have been working him out and interviewing him, including the Giants and perhaps the Dolphins. Looking at raw numbers out of college doesn't tell the whole story, there are a lot of reasons why he might do better than Tauiliili in the NFL despite (slightly) lower numbers in college. Just look at QBs if you want to see that having better stats doesn't necessarily translate to higher draft position or more success in the league.

Here's an article talking about him getting looks from the Giants and Redskins, it also mentions his pro-day numbers...they're pretty good.

Link

My guess is that if the thread had been titled not "NFL Draft Thread" but "Follow Duke Football Players in The NFL Draft Here" you would have stayed on the main board. Plenty of Duke Football threads have been there before, and stayed there.

As it is, there's not much to watch or monitor re: Duke players until at least Saturday. Bradford going to the Rams = off topic, and that's likely to be what's seen on a thread with the title this one's got.

Anyway, I look forward to a couple years from now when we're all excited for the 3 or 4 legitimate first 4-5 round picks we have coming out of our improved program, and to see where they land in the NFL. Doesn't sound like we're there yet.

Does Greg Paulus count?

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Does Greg Paulus count?
    As someone who thought that Greg was a good guy (personality wise), I'd be happy to see him picked.

But...i don't expect to see it happen.

Carolina Delenda Est

Alas, no Dukies were selected. I saw that VO was relatively high on Kiper's board, so I was optimistic. I think he has a great shot at making an opening day roster.

Does anyone know if Vince Oghobaase, Vincent Rey, Thad Lewis, and Greg Paulus have signed free agent contracts yet?

I know a ton of guys do that in the next 24-48 hours, and I think all of these guys will get a look.

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    Does anyone know if Vince Oghobaase, Vincent Rey, Thad Lewis, and Greg Paulus have signed free agent contracts yet?

I know a ton of guys do that in the next 24-48 hours, and I think all of these guys will get a look.

Free Agent Signings
    Vince Oghobaase - Miami
    Thad Lewis - St Louis
    Leon Wright - NY Giants
    Ayanga Okpokowuruk - NY Giants
    No word on Rey yet.
    Last edited by DukeDude; 04-24-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added Ayanga Okpokowuruk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    Free Agent Signings
    Vince Oghobaase - Miami
    Thad Lewis - St Louis
    Leon Wright - NY Giants
    Ayanga Okpokowuruk - NY Giants
    No word on Rey yet.
    Rey was signed by Cincinnati. I hadn't seen about Lewis, Wright and Okpowuruk. That's great, best of luck to all of them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Paulus?

Thats great !

They've gotta make the roster though, 80 go to training camp, with 54 making it to opening day.

I haven't seen that Greg has gotten a contract yet. I know he tried out for some teams, but I had also read that he's looking to get into basketball coaching and had been interning with FoxSports.

Now that our seniors have officially left us, we can look to the future, which is bright with Coach Cut. For those looking for Duke football recruiting coverage, we've got some free interviews on 2011 recruits at www.bluedevilnation.net.

I had hoped to hear about Greg by now. Perhaps he'll play a little Arena ball, bag groceries, who knows what might come of that...

One of our boys made the Rivals.com All Undrafted Team

"T Vince Oghobaase, Duke
    BUZZ: Oghobaase was a four-year starter for Duke who earned some All-ACC notice. He has good size (6-5/303) and was a productive interior player for the Blue Devils. But he has had some injury/durability issues, his technique was criticized and his pass-rush ability was limited to power moves."

You can check out the whole team at http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...sp?CID=1078638