Anti-Duke marketing strategy

Okay, I realize this is local, but driving to a meeting this morning, I heard a radio ad that absolutely flabergasted me.

Shula's Grill at the Sheraton in Chapel Hill runs an add that shouts: "Great myths in history"

The first is the myth that the earth is flat and mariners could sail off the edge.

The second myth: "That Mike Krzyzewski is a great leader of men."

Then it goes on to tout the restaurant for shattering the myth that a steak dinner has to be expensive.

Okay, I know it's in Chapel Hill -- although the Sheraton is on the Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd., on the Durham side of the town. The commercial was on a Durham radio station. I know that Duke fans patronize restaurants in Chapel Hill (411 West is one of my alltime favorites).

My point is that if you are a Triangle business -- even located in Chapel Hill -- would you go out of your way to alienate a large portion of your target audience? It's not even like several places that tout their UNC (or Duke) fandom ... that doesn't bother me. I have no problem with bragging about being pro-something.

But would a self-respecting Duke fan patronize a business that goes out of its way to attack Coach K? Is that good business?

I don't know about others, but I know I won't be eating there.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Okay, I realize this is local, but driving to a meeting this morning, I heard a radio ad that absolutely flabergasted me.

Shula's Grill at the Sheraton in Chapel Hill runs an add that shouts: "Great myths in history"

The first is the myth that the earth is flat and mariners could sail off the edge.

Then it goes on to tout the restaurant for shattering the myth that a steak dinner has to be expensive.

Okay, I know it's in Chapel Hill -- although the Sheraton is on the Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd., on the Durham side of the town. The commercial was on a Durham radio station. I know that Duke fans patronize restaurants in Chapel Hill (411 West is one of my alltime favorites).

My point is that if you are a Triangle business -- even located in Chapel Hill -- would you go out of your way to alienate a large portion of your target audience? It's not even like several places that tout their UNC (or Duke) fandom ... that doesn't bother me. I have no problem with bragging about being pro-something.

But would a self-respecting Duke fan patronize a business that goes out of its way to attack Coach K? Is that good business?

I've seen bars align with sports teams fanbases (Rhino Bar in Georgetown flies an Eagles' flag during football season and a Red Sox one for baseball), but I don't think they actively market "We hate the Yankees" or some such. It's just silly.

Even if I wasn't a Duke fan, this ad seems too personal for my tastes.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

I wonder what Duke alumnus might be a very senior Sheraton executive (or an influential Wall Street analyst, who concentrates on major hotel chains), and how he or she might react to this slur masquerading as clever marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I wonder what Duke alumnus might be a very senior Sheraton executive (or an influential Wall Street analyst, who concentrates on major hotel chains), and how he or she might react to this slur masquerading as clever marketing?
    A little poking around seems to show that the Sheraton in CH is a franchise owned by the Soleil Group (based in Cary), which also owns the restaurant. I have no idea what influence Sheraton wields over a franchisee.

For anyone who really wanted to pursue Sheraton or Starwood (the parent company), the alumni directory lists several Dukies, including a Senior VP and Treasurer (Fuqua), a VP, Marketing (Trinity), and Public Relations (Trinity).

-jk

Better yet, I just won't eat there and will tell everyone I know not to eat there either.
    "There can BE only one."

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I saw a rat there the size of a VW.

--alteran

Just kidding. Never been. Never going.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    A little poking around seems to show that the Sheraton in CH is a franchise owned by the Soleil Group (based in Cary), which also owns the restaurant. I have no idea what influence Sheraton wields over a franchisee.

For anyone who really wanted to pursue Sheraton or Starwood (the parent company), the alumni directory lists several Dukies, including a Senior VP and Treasurer (Fuqua), a VP, Marketing (Trinity), and Public Relations (Trinity).

-jk
    Clearly, the choice of examples is in poor taste.

Perhaps a letter written to the hotel manager with copies to Sheraton or Soleil upper level management could bring this problem to the attention of those who might be interested in having a good relationship with the surrounding community.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I saw a rat there the size of a VW.

--alteran

Just kidding. Never been. Never going.

Me, too, it was Carolina Blue.

shula's

While the restaurant is at the hotel, I'm not sure of the relationship between Sula's and the Sheraton.

Checking their website, it looks to me like the restaurant is part of the Shula Steakhouse franchise.

This surprises me -- Shula's in Tampa is a great spot (although contrary to their ad, it is a VERY expensive steak dinner). I've been there and it's first rate ... I'm pretty sure the Duke team ate there when the ACC Tournament was in Tampa.

I saw that Shula's was in the Sheraton Hotel in Indianapolis when I was there earlier this month. Didn't go in (looking for something a little more reasonable).

I wonder how Don Shula feels about one of his franchises ripping on another famous coach?

While the restaurant is at the hotel, I'm not sure of the relationship between Sula's and the Sheraton.

Checking their website, it looks to me like the restaurant is part of the Shula Steakhouse franchise.

This surprises me -- Shula's in Tampa is a great spot (although contrary to their ad, it is a VERY expensive steak dinner). I've been there and it's first rate ... I'm pretty sure the Duke team ate there when the ACC Tournament was in Tampa.

I saw that Shula's was in the Sheraton Hotel in Indianapolis when I was there earlier this month. Didn't go in (looking for something a little more reasonable).

I wonder how Don Shula feels about one of his franchises ripping on another famous coach?
    From what I could gather, the Soleil Group owns both the hotel and the restaurant.

-jk

I am sure its all in jest. Who knows? Then again the owners realize that most people in the triangle area and the whole state are either UNC fans or N.C. State fans. So they don't mind angering any Duke fans....all 12 of you. As for Wake Forest fans, all 4 of you live in Winston-Salem.

Some things aren't funny

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4UNC View Post
    I am sure its all in jest. Who knows? Then again the owners realize that most people in the triangle area and the whole state are either UNC fans or N.C. State fans. So they don't mind angering any Duke fans....all 12 of you. As for Wake Forest fans, all 4 of you live in Winston-Salem.
    Okay, Chris.

So you would go to a restaurant that said in a radio commercial:

"Roy Williams couldn't give a spit about North Carolina, and we couldn't either. Come on in - and if you say you don't give a spit, we'll give you a free dessert."

Since it's only in jest.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Okay, Chris.

So you would go to a restaurant that said in a radio commercial:

"Roy Williams couldn't give a spit about North Carolina, and we couldn't either. Come on in - and if you say you don't give a spit, we'll give you a free dessert."

Since it's only in jest.
    Yeah, think of all the blowhards on the various boards that threatened to boycott Nike over the "order has been restored" Nike acknowledgment of the NCAA champs.

Apparently, merely being complimentary of Duke is grossly upsetting to many fans, including those of UNC.

Now, imagine a local steak restaurant saying, "let's list the great myths: Dean Smith cared about his players, Roy Williams is a mentor of basketball talent. Come on in and say, 'Dean Smith and Roy Williams are whiners for a 4 dollars off a ribeye!' "

Pretty funny huh! I bet your mouth is watering and you're mouthing the words "Dean Smith is a whiner" as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4UNC View Post
    So they don't mind angering any Duke fans....all 12 of you.

Sure, you've got a point. I'll remember that when I have a few hundred bones in my pocket and am looking for a place to have a good meal and some expensive wine.
    Nana's beats poor old Shula's any day of the week. A far superior class of people eats at Nana's, too.