Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768
Results 1,341 to 1,354 of 1354
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    This seems like pretty big news, right? Didn't see this coming at all.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...n-u.s.?cc=5901

Six live games per week sounds good to me, esp. as my DirecTV package does include NBCSN but not Fox Soccer. Hard to tell whether a few other games will be shown on TV via delay, as there's also a ref to streaming "other games... live online."

Hope it's true that "The Barclays Premier League is... on the cusp of exponential popularity growth here in the U.S."

IIRC, ESPN has rights to World Cup 2014. Maybe Fox Soccer will focus on La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, and Ligue 1?
    That would have been great this past weekend as I was hoping to catch the ManU-Chelsea game, but it wasn't available on TV to me. I'm not sure if I have NBC Sports though, so I don't know if this would have helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I'm not sure if I have NBC Sports though...
    It's channel 603 on DirecTV. Whatever cable-satellite system you have, I'd think there's a decent chance NBC Sports Network is carried, as with this specialized network the parent, NBC, seems to be challenging ESPN for multi-sports coverage and FoxSoccer for soccer coverage.

I neglected to mention in my earlier post that I assume FoxSoccer still has the Champions League for awhile, but who knows. It strikes me this Premier League swoop by NBCSN [or whatever it's called] should scare FoxSoccer.

It's channel 603 on DirecTV. Whatever cable-satellite system you have, I'd think there's a decent chance NBC Sports Network is carried, as with this specialized network the parent, NBC, seems to be challenging ESPN for multi-sports coverage and FoxSoccer for soccer coverage.

I neglected to mention in my earlier post that I assume FoxSoccer still has the Champions League for awhile, but who knows. It strikes me this Premier League swoop by NBCSN [or whatever it's called] should scare FoxSoccer.
    Fox Soccer has the CL rights through 2014, same as the Europa League rights. At this point, I expect Fox Soccer to lose those rights to ESPN, NBC or beIN (Al-Jazeera's new sports channel that has swept up every single major league's TV rights except for the EPL). Fox also has the 2018 and 2022 World Cup rights, but Fox Soccer will not be necessary for that...that or they will find a way to buy themselves back into relevancy between 2016 and 2018 when they start broadcasting games.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Fox also has the 2018 and 2022 World Cup rights, but Fox Soccer will not be necessary for that...that or they will find a way to buy themselves back into relevancy between 2016 and 2018 when they start broadcasting games.
    Appreciate the info. Clarify something for me, please. If Fox has '18 and '22 WC, what do you mean that Fox Soccer "will not be necessary for that"? Do you mean you expect Fox Soccer to become irrelevant, then defunct for a few years, then maybe reinstituted by parent Fox around '16-'18? Help.

Appreciate the info. Clarify something for me, please. If Fox has '18 and '22 WC, what do you mean that Fox Soccer "will not be necessary for that"? Do you mean you expect Fox Soccer to become irrelevant, then defunct for a few years, then maybe reinstituted by parent Fox around '16-'18? Help.
    The way the schedule works for the World Cup, there are 3 matches a day during the first two rounds of the group stage. Each game is by itself, so only Fox will be needed to show those games. During the last round of the group stage, each group plays its two games at the same time (so teams cannot know what's going on in the other match), so in that case, Fox could air one game and F/X could air the other simultaneously. F/X is in way more homes than Fox Soccer is. Once the knockout stage starts, there's only one game on at at time, so again Fox can handle it on the big channel. So, Fox Soccer will not be necessary to make Fox's World Cup coverage run smoothly. They only need 2 channels for 4 days...the rest of the tournament, they only need big Fox.

2003-2004 HLM

The way the schedule works for the World Cup, there are 3 matches a day during the first two rounds of the group stage. Each game is by itself, so only Fox will be needed to show those games. During the last round of the group stage, each group plays its two games at the same time (so teams cannot know what's going on in the other match), so in that case, Fox could air one game and F/X could air the other simultaneously. F/X is in way more homes than Fox Soccer is. Once the knockout stage starts, there's only one game on at at time, so again Fox can handle it on the big channel. So, Fox Soccer will not be necessary to make Fox's World Cup coverage run smoothly. They only need 2 channels for 4 days...the rest of the tournament, they only need big Fox.
    Thanks for the clarification. Although I am aware of the WC format/scheduling, I honestly hadn't even considered that Fox itself, or "big Fox," would actually give over its morn/aft [Russia and Qatar, yes?] programming for, what, 5 or so hours/day for 2 weeks to the WC. I just assumed, apparently incorrectly, that when you posted earlier that "Fox" had the WC for '18 and '22, that meant Fox Soccer.

If you're right - and I see you're on top of this way more than I - that's got to be good news for all of us who get Fox and F/X, but not Fox Soccer.

Thanks for the clarification. Although I am aware of the WC format/scheduling, I honestly hadn't even considered that Fox itself, or "big Fox," would actually give over its morn/aft [Russia and Qatar, yes?] programming for, what, 5 or so hours/day for 2 weeks to the WC. I just assumed, apparently incorrectly, that when you posted earlier that "Fox" had the WC for '18 and '22, that meant Fox Soccer.

If you're right - and I see you're on top of this way more than I - that's got to be good news for all of us who get Fox and F/X, but not Fox Soccer.
    Fox paid hundreds of millions of dollars to get the TV rights...the random stuff that they have on during the day will be secondary for the month. It's during the summer, so the only thing they'll probably stop will be their normal baseball broadcasts that usually are on Saturdays. Just like they stop their normal primetime TV shows for the World Series, they will definitely cancel their normal day programming for the World Cup.

2003-2004 HLM

Lots of things are likely to change in the sports broadcasting business in the next five years, but one of the recent rumors has Fox converting a couple channels to generic sports channels. They have still not gotten Comcast to sign a new deal to put the FSN branded content on their RSNs (here is San Francisco, Fox is putting Big 12 and Conference USA football on one of the local broadcast channels because they can no longer put it on Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area). Some people think that SPEED will be converted to a Fox Sports 1 national channel of some kind and FSC might become a Fox Sports 2 since launching a completely new channel is a difficult task right now. My guess would be that weekday World Cup broadcasts would go on FX and whatever national sports channel they can muster.

Here is what the general rights landscape looks like for various channel groupings at this point for next season (might be missing some and have a few wrong):

Fox: UEFA Champions League and Europa League, English FA games (home national team games and FA Cup), CONCACAF Champions League (English), Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana, SPL (I think), Australia, Eredivisie (new), College Soccer
    ESPN: UEFA qualifiers and Euros, Portugal, FIFA events (through 2014, English), USMNT home games and some USWNT friendlies, MLS, College (various conferences and NCAA tournament), some Mexican league and cup games (sometimes simulcast)
    BeIN: La Liga, Serie A, English Football League, Ligue 1 (English only), CONMEBOL qualifiers, assorted CONCACAF qualifiers
    Univision: CONCACAF Champions League (Spanish), MLS and USMNT home games (Spanish), Ligue 1 (Spanish), many Mexican League teams (rights based on home team), FIFA events (Spanish)
    Universal: Premier League, some Mexican League teams, MLS and assorted USMNT and home friendlies and various USWNT games
    GolTV: :-( Brazil, Argentina, Mexican Liga de Ascenso, assorted other Latin American leagues and games, assorted UEFA qualifiers and friendlies

Up for grabs: Bundesliga

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Some people think that SPEED will be converted to a Fox Sports 1 national channel of some kind and FSC might become a Fox Sports 2 since launching a completely new channel is a difficult task right now. My guess would be that weekday World Cup broadcasts would go on FX and whatever national sports channel they can muster.
    Many thanks, awhom111, for all the info in your post (and again to blazindw). I have another clarification request: just assuming for the moment that the bolded phrase above comes about, does "national channel" likely mean a channel available at the same level of subscription - say, to DirecTV - as ESPN/ESPN 2? Or maybe the question is, what kind of some kind of national channel?

Obviously I prefer a WC channel, and just generally football on tv leading up to '18 and '22, that doesn't require moving to a more expensive satellite package. [Btw, worrying - me, if not you - about WC 6 and 10 years out must be analogous to trying to figure out Duke's starting lineup in 2016-17, for which a thread must soon appear...]

Many thanks, awhom111, for all the info in your post (and again to blazindw). I have another clarification request: just assuming for the moment that the bolded phrase above comes about, does "national channel" likely mean a channel available at the same level of subscription - say, to DirecTV - as ESPN/ESPN 2? Or maybe the question is, what kind of some kind of national channel?

Obviously I prefer a WC channel, and just generally football on tv leading up to '18 and '22, that doesn't require moving to a more expensive satellite package. [Btw, worrying - me, if not you - about WC 6 and 10 years out must be analogous to trying to figure out Duke's starting lineup in 2016-17, for which a thread must soon appear...]
    Most people would view channels like the networks (Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS) and channels like CNN, ESPN, Fox News, etc. as national channels. Fox Soccer IS a national channel, but is not viewed as such because of the channel tier it's usually found on at the average cable company (most have it as part of the optional sports package). National channel means that most people will have it. ESPN has something like 110M subscribers, while Fox Soccer has in the neighborhood of 33M. That's a lot of extra eyeballs to make up for.

2003-2004 HLM

Most people would view channels like the networks (Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS) and channels like CNN, ESPN, Fox News, etc. as national channels. Fox Soccer IS a national channel, but is not viewed as such because of the channel tier it's usually found on at the average cable company (most have it as part of the optional sports package). National channel means that most people will have it. ESPN has something like 110M subscribers, while Fox Soccer has in the neighborhood of 33M. That's a lot of extra eyeballs to make up for.
    Yes, this makes sense, and reconfirms that the key issue is "what kind" of national channel, which as you note is better stated as "what tier" it's found on. I guess there are many, dozens, hundreds of national channels, and heaven knows DirecTV carries dozens, probably more like hundreds, I don't watch.

So, for me, and surely many others, the main issue re Fox's rights to WC '18 and '22 is whether the games will be on Fox-channels that will not require moving to a more costly tier. I'm guessing all is good, but OTOH there's no ironclad guarantee right now that Fox will 6 and 10 years hence carry all games on one tier, the one that doesn't cost extra, the not-sports-package-tier.

Yes, this makes sense, and reconfirms that the key issue is "what kind" of national channel, which as you note is better stated as "what tier" it's found on. I guess there are many, dozens, hundreds of national channels, and heaven knows DirecTV carries dozens, probably more like hundreds, I don't watch.

So, for me, and surely many others, the main issue re Fox's rights to WC '18 and '22 is whether the games will be on Fox-channels that will not require moving to a more costly tier. I'm guessing all is good, but OTOH there's no ironclad guarantee right now that Fox will 6 and 10 years hence carry all games on one tier, the one that doesn't cost extra, the not-sports-package-tier.
    World Cup 2018 and 2022 will be on your local Fox. Any additional games (like the simulataneous last round games) will be on F/X. When it comes to the World Cup, you won't have to worry about any other channels. Heck, you probably won't even need cable to view 99% of the games.

2003-2004 HLM

The difference is that Fox has mostly had a regional focus with its FSN channels carrying local content as well as national content. Ideally Fox would like a channel that they can put content on knowing that people all over the country will be able to watch it without it being pre-empted by local stuff. SPEED is on the same tier as NBC Sports Network and NBA TV on DirecTV, so you do not need the Sportspack. I would not be surprised to see some Champions League and Europe League games on the channel sometime in 2013. Fox is going to try to get World Cup games on as wide a distribution as possible so you do not have to worry.

World Cup 2018 and 2022 will be on your local Fox. Any additional games (like the simulataneous last round games) will be on F/X. When it comes to the World Cup, you won't have to worry about any other channels. Heck, you probably won't even need cable to view 99% of the games.
    Based on the world today, I really do not think that this is likely to be the case. Maybe if they had rights for 2014 with more games in American primetime, they could swing that. Fox has no daytime programming unlike the other three broadcast networks, meaning that they would have to steal 4 or more hours of daytime programming from their affiliates for content that would make it hard for the local channels to get their usual advertising spots and those local stations would have to deal with all of the complaints about pre-emptions. FX is probably going to be the main channel to tune into on weekdays unless they get similar distribtion on one of their sports channels. I would expect at least one game on every Saturday and Sunday of the tournament on Fox though.

Anyways, onto actual on-field soccer stuff. My club finally has a real manager after a couple years of hell. BeIN should be happy that the Football League chose two League Cup games with tons of goals for this week coverage. For the first time in a while, I am excited for the MLS Cup playoffs as the Bay Area cannot win too many championships at the same time. You are a D.C. United fan, right blazindw?

hat this is likely to be the case. Maybe if they had rights for 2014 with more games in American primetime, they could swing that. Fox has no daytime programming unlike the other three broadcast networks, meaning that they would have to steal 4 or more hours of daytime programming from their affiliates for content that would make it hard for the local channels to get their usual advertising spots and those local stations would have to deal with all of the complaints about pre-emptions. FX is probably going to be the main channel to tune into on weekdays unless they get similar distribtion on one of their sports channels. I would expect at least one game on every Saturday and Sunday of the tournament on Fox though.
    I'm just basing this on previous World Cups and how ESPN has shown it. ESPN/ABC is a different beast than Fox/FX...there will be more eyeballs on Fox, and during the summer their programming consists of mainly reruns of stuff. There actually won't be that much programming to move. Also, Fox has no problem moving their primetime programming every year for the MLB postseason. Any primetime programming that Fox will show during the summer is safe because most games will be done by then (remember, the games will be in Russia and Qatar, so there will be a significant time difference).

For the first time in a while, I am excited for the MLS Cup playoffs as the Bay Area cannot win too many championships at the same time. You are a D.C. United fan, right blazindw?
    I am a DC fan, and we are absolutely incensed at the league's decision to take away our home-field advantage and switch the home matches with New York...I say this understanding that the area has been through a lot and I feel for them...but taking away our advantage for the reasons they specified (limited train service and lack of police resources) weren't very good given that there's a Giants game the next day that's expecting to have 80,000 people just down the road and the NYC marathon is going off without a hitch as well.

Other than that yesterday, I am PUMPED and excited for the playoffs. We haven't been in the run for the Cup since 2007, when I first moved to DC. While I respect San Jose and the season they've had, I do want them to lose before the final for selfish reasons (it would mean that if DC makes it, we would host the MLS Cup Final). I wasn't surprised that Houston came in and beat Chicago last night, but I was surprised at how they dominated. KC is in for a huge test this weekend at Houston. It will be interesting to see who wins the play-in game tonight between Vancouver and LA. My money's on LA, but Vancouver has quietly had a pretty good 2nd season. We'll see if they can pull the upset.

2003-2004 HLM