Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Lifelong Gunners fan. Grew up near White Heart Lane, but couldn't take the locals. Ian Wright showed me the light. Also a huge 'Gers fan. Can't wait to sneak out for a long late lunch today to watch some CL.

Awesome, I figured there were quite a few on here. Lavabe, I WISH I could have made it to Highbury before they moved to the Grove, but alas my daughter came along and drained the savings account I had set aside for that

On a CL note, ManU just looked unstoppable yesterday, but Barca was there for the taking, and any team left other than Schalke would have buried them in the first leg.

For my Chelski friend, don't forget we took 3 points at the Grove earlier in the season, BUT yall are not too far back to win it. You still have ManU (as you stated) and they still have us going to Old Trafford as well, where we could easily nick a draw Im thinking. I wince at the thought of helping either your boys or ManU win anything, but its going to happen. We slipped in form for a few, and the title slipped through our fingers concurrently.

I really want the CL though and would take it over domestic at least for this season. Arsenal is too good of a club to not have a CL title under their belt. Barca freaking destroyed me a few years back, and I felt robbed after waiting that long to make a final, and being down to 10 men only 18 minutes in. I scared my wife and child when Campbell hit the net (after Eboue's blatant dive obviously) running through the house kissing the crest

Lavabe, we have this site http://www.arsenalamerica.com and there IS an Arsenal Hour podcast on Champions Soccer Radio Network. The link to their site is below. I listen to them as well as World Soccer Daily.

http://www.championssoccerradio.com

Edit: Also I did see there were other soccer threads out there but they appeared to be dead, and I wanted to make sure I got replies to this one. And here I thought I was the soccer pioneer on this board, starting a thread and all J/K of course. The only thing I love talking about as much as Duke basketball is FOOTBALL, so this response to this thread has made my day
    Last edited by BlueDevilJay; 04-02-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Imitation is flattery right? :)

Smile Crouch? Torres? Aren't we forgetting someone?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Awesome, I figured there were quite a few on here. Lavabe, I WISH I could have made it to Highbury before they moved to the Grove, but alas my daughter came along and drained the savings account I had set aside for that
    Highbury was a real treasure and very intimate. How is the Grove in terms of Tube access?

And meanwhile, Liverpool will move at some point soon. Then again, Liverpool's ownership issues are not completely resolved yet, and that is probably the bigger issue.

Although Torres scores at home, I look for a good ol' fashioned Gerrard goal today. Here's to a great match!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Im looking forward to a great match as well today. Ill have to listen to the first half here at work via Arsenal.com, but should be home from work in time to see the last 30 min or so hopefully. I can't believe we play your boys 3 times in a row, almost like last year with the FA Cup and Carling. Im not sure about the tube access to Ashburton Grove as I haven't been able to get over for a match yet, but I've heard its just a short walk from Highbury so I'm assuming you'd arrive in the same place and just have a short walk to the Emirates. Good luck today man. (Im now off to start another thread about something I've recently become hooked on )

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Looking forward to the matches tonight, though I'm a somewhat neutral observer(but I'm kind of anti-arsenal among the EPL clubs). Even though it will mean another morning awake at 3am or so(Korean time differences can be so inconvenient sometimes). Chelsea should cruise(its not like they are up against Barnsley or anything), and based on recent form, I have to think Liverpool should be favored over Arsenal. Since Feb 11, Arsenal have had 1 good performance, there 2-0 take down of AC Milan in the earlier round of CL action. And I don't care who you are, I don't think I'd ever want to head to Anfield with less than a three goal cushion.

And I don't know how one could say that Man U looked unstoppable last night. I thought their defense was ripe for the taking, Roma was just too incompetent to make them pay for it. Park and Anderson were very ineffective last night. Had Totti been fit, that match would have been much more interesting. Ronaldo's header was great though, Scholes ball was such a soft lofted ball and he came up on it running full bore. Usually players have to generate power on headers from a relatively stationary position but he was barrelling down on the ball as it was.

And just to note, the two teams I follow closest are ones with US ties, Everton and FulhAm-erica... though the latter appears destined for relagation, since they couldn't get a needed 3 off Derby.

The Grove is a 3 minute walk from Arsenal station, and 10 minutes from Highbury&Islington. I recommend a visit.

Another Gunners fan here. When they have it going, their play is a thing of art.

Enjoyed going to Tampa Bay Mutiny games in the late 90's, but haven't watched much MLS since they disintegrated right around the same time the local cable began showing a lot more Premier League games.

I also somewhat follow, via internet anyway, the Bundesliga. I spent some time as a young military brat in Karlsruhe so I'm always hoping that they do well (or at least stay in the top flight for awhile).

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I know ... waiting with baited breath for that one.

Truth be told, I really enjoyed Highbury. My wife and I saw a game there with Bergkamp vs. Southampton (LaTiss). Honestly, it was a good time, and REALLY enjoyable. My wife and I would go back in a heartbeat. I would take going to a Premiership game over all but two sporting venues:
    CIS
    Any Triple Crown Race

Is there a Gunners' podcast out there? The NYC Liverpool Supporter''s Club has a wonderful podcast... REALLY neat.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Highbury was a wonderful place to watch a match. I was sad to see us leave. Emirates, though, is very impressive. Great sight lines throughout the whole place. Outside of CIS, I think it's the best place to watch a sporting event. Tube access is pretty much the same as Highbury. Post match it's a shuffle to get to the station (Arsenal - Pic). I usually walk to Finsbury Park, but if you want to use the Arsenal station walk past it than swing back around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Is there a Gunners' podcast out there? The NYC Liverpool Supporter''s Club has a wonderful podcast... REALLY neat.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    The only one I know of is http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?t...ast+-+for+FREE! . I usually only listen to the pre-match bits. Wenger also sends out a post-match newsletter but it tends to be more diplomatic than informative.

Long live the EPL! I adopted Derby County after their stirring play to get them in the league for this year. What a disaster! For a small sum I will switch to a team somebody doesn't like and bring them down as well.

I really don't have a team to call my own, but love to see the second-tier teams beat the big spenders. I work for AIG but can't seem to pull for Man U. But Ronaldo does several amazing things a game whether he scores or not.

For some reason that storky Peter Crouch is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Looking forward to the matches tonight, though I'm a somewhat neutral observer(but I'm kind of anti-arsenal among the EPL clubs). Even though it will mean another morning awake at 3am or so(Korean time differences can be so inconvenient sometimes). Chelsea should cruise(its not like they are up against Barnsley or anything), and based on recent form, I have to think Liverpool should be favored over Arsenal. Since Feb 11, Arsenal have had 1 good performance, there 2-0 take down of AC Milan in the earlier round of CL action. And I don't care who you are, I don't think I'd ever want to head to Anfield with less than a three goal cushion.

And I don't know how one could say that Man U looked unstoppable last night. I thought their defense was ripe for the taking, Roma was just too incompetent to make them pay for it. Park and Anderson were very ineffective last night. Had Totti been fit, that match would have been much more interesting. Ronaldo's header was great though, Scholes ball was such a soft lofted ball and he came up on it running full bore. Usually players have to generate power on headers from a relatively stationary position but he was barrelling down on the ball as it was.

And just to note, the two teams I follow closest are ones with US ties, Everton and FulhAm-erica... though the latter appears destined for relagation, since they couldn't get a needed 3 off Derby.
    I didn't have a chance to see the entire ManU match, but from what I saw of it, they were never in any real danger of losing the tie. And I'm also basing that on their current form, I don't see them losing anytime soon.

Yeah Arsenal have had their worst dip in form since Wenger came, and had they not performed the miraculous comeback at the Reebok on Saturday, it would have been the worst streak of Wenger's Arsenal career. Thank God they never quit on that game. I also follow FulhAmerica as well, huge US MNT supporter so I like watching Dempsey getting his feet wet over there and being in the spotlight. Glad that McBride recovered from his injury as well.

As for the time difference with Korea, it SUCKED for me too during the 02 World Cup when my best friend and I had to get up around 3-4 am every day to watch the matches. We just took the week off of work to watch, but I also think the games being played in the middle of the night here, made it that much more special to enjoy. We would run outside yelling when one hit the back of the net for the US and actually heard another guy just down the street doing the same. Instant friendship came from that, ah the memories

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Long live the EPL! I adopted Derby County after their stirring play to get them in the league for this year. What a disaster! For a small sum I will switch to a team somebody doesn't like and bring them down as well.

I really don't have a team to call my own, but love to see the second-tier teams beat the big spenders. I work for AIG but can't seem to pull for Man U. But Ronaldo does several amazing things a game whether he scores or not.

For some reason that storky Peter Crouch is one of my favorites.
    Peter Crouch's other half is one of my favorites, Abby Clancy

I watched the first ever MLS games when I was a kid and I sure hope that the San Jose Earthquakes can make a good comeback!

The first team I ever rooted for was Blackburn Rovers and I also follow Monarcas Morelia in the Mexican League. For the Champions League, I support the English teams and Barcelona.

Talking Obvious response

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    You could do us all a favor, and start rooting for the Holes!

Getting nervous yet Lavabe?? The time draws nigh....

Up the Arsenal, Up the Gunners, Come on Arsenal!!!

Quick, KillerLeft, I have a Steven Gerrard jersey for you to wear around 2:45 pm today!

Arsenal 1 - Liverpool 1.
    I would have preferred 0 - 0 (or the win ).
    One match down, two to go.

Thumbs up A tie, I'll take

1-1 at Arsenal... we'll take it.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Liverpool should be very happy to escape with a 1-1 draw. Its a good result for an away side, gaining the away goal without conceding a victory. But especially so since they got dominated by Arsenal. Especially in the 2nd half Liverpool barely even tried to mount a sustained attack, just clear it out, and if still in possession try a long ball to Torres(who is good enough that twice it came close to costing Arsenal dearly). And of course, the Gunners would have had the lead except for a fine save by Bendtner... way to block that shot by a teammate.

Smile Welcome to the DBR!

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    I watched the first ever MLS games when I was a kid and I sure hope that the San Jose Earthquakes can make a good comeback!

The first team I ever rooted for was Blackburn Rovers and I also follow Monarcas Morelia in the Mexican League. For the Champions League, I support the English teams and Barcelona.
    Wow ... post #1 goes to the soccer thread! Nice work!!

First team I ever rooted for was ... NASL COSMOS. Ricky Davis came to our school to talk about soccer. This was while the Cosmos played at Randall's Island (sp?). Later they brought in Pele, Franz, Giorgio, Carlos Alberto, and everyone. They moved to the Meadowlands, and brought us Saturday 6PM televised recaps of Bundesliga and English Premier League (Division One).

I adopted Liverpool in 1989, while listening to BBC World Service shortwave.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    A

For my Chelski friend, don't forget we took 3 points at the Grove earlier in the season, BUT yall are not too far back to win it. You still have ManU (as you stated) and they still have us going to Old Trafford as well, where we could easily nick a draw Im thinking. I wince at the thought of helping either your boys or ManU win anything, but its going to happen. We slipped in form for a few, and the title slipped through our fingers concurrently.
    I guess you're right, but Chelsea just doesn't seem to have the umph this year and they dont take maximum points against all the teams they should. They blew the Carling Cup and today against Fenerbache was a disaster. I think they can win 2-0 at the Bridge but they dont make it easy on themselves. ManU ha been the dominant team this season and I dont expect that to change. Arsenal really blew it but I wont complain. Losing Jose Mourinho really hurt the Blues. (He's Old, He's Glum, He's not the Special One, Avram Grant)

As for the CL, even though Chelsea got an easy group and easy draws (Olympiakos and Fenerbache) they have not taken advantage on the road in the 1st leg. 0-0 in Greece and 1-2 in Turkey. Lucky for Chelsea they got the favorable draws, quality teams would have killed them. I like ManU to win the thing, but as always I hope they dont.

Chelsea pissed away two trophies this year, Carling and FA, not guarenteed they would have won the FA, but they could beat any of the remaining teams.