Do you wear leather or fur?

I am doing a project on this and was wondering why people wear or dont animal by products such as Leather and fur, which are the two biggest examples.. I was wondering if you guys could me some thoughts on this... Do you wear leather or Fur? Wear one, not the other and why do you think it is okay or why you think it is not okay? Want to hear you're thoughts on this...

I own leather shoes and accessories, a belt and a wallet. I rarely wear the shoes but the belt is always on and the wallet always with me.

I don't wear fur. I think it looks silly on men, especially in Charlotte during April (really anytime of the year, but especially now). If I had to face extremely cool temperatures on a regular basis, I might wear fur.

I want a leather jacket.
    I want leather furniture in my home office.

I have a leather Duke "letter jacket" (without a letter ) that I like to wear.

My late grandfather was a furrier in NYC back in the 40's, 50's and 60's. He had pictures of him with Bob and Delores Hope when the Hopes took delivery of a mink coat from him. He also had one with the Jack Benny's. My mother and grandmother always had nice furs to wear during the cold NYC winters. Not so much once they moved to south Florida 40 years ago.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I had a coonskin cap back in the day, but I think it was actually plastic.

I use leather products from "renewable" sources. Living in SC there's not much call for fur.

Leather sure, shoes, purses.
    No fur but I might strongly consider a sable coat if husband-of-weezie ever decided to surprise me with one. And if we lived in northern Canada. Fur coats are so toasty warm.

When I was living in Kazakhstan and it was 40 below, I wore as much fur as I could get my hands on.

Just shoes and accessories. Inherited a fur stoal from my grandmother and was given a mink hat by my stepmother when they moved to FL, both of which are in the closet and have never been worn. They do feel nice though.

A related question that I really don't know the answer to.

Is leather a by-product of other industires (particularly cow leather)? If so that might make a moral difference to some. If the leather is making use of something that otherwise would go to waste (and you don't have moral objection to eating meat) then that might be different from wearing a jacket make of mink or some other animal (where the animal was raised only for the fur).

Quote Originally Posted by bluebutton View Post
    When I was living in Kazakhstan and it was 40 below, I wore as much fur as I could get my hands on.

Are you on the right or left here?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    I am doing a project on this and was wondering why people wear or dont animal by products such as Leather and fur, which are the two biggest examples.. I was wondering if you guys could me some thoughts on this... Do you wear leather or Fur? Wear one, not the other and why do you think it is okay or why you think it is not okay? Want to hear you're thoughts on this...
    I do not wear fur. I try to avoid buying leather - most of my dress shoes and belts are imitation leather. All of my casual clothing is animal free. Fake leather for mens shoes have really improved a lot the last few years, but we still don't have as many style choices as women.

The tips on my pool cues are leather. it's not really feasible to completely avoid it, unfortunately.

I have no desire to wear anything from fur. It looks like a dead critter hanging an someone. I do, however, wear leather shoes, jackets, gloves, etc and have leather purses. Leather, to me, does not look like a dead critter. And it's warm, it is durable, and it smells really good.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    A related question that I really don't know the answer to.

Is leather a by-product of other industries (particularly cow leather)? If so that might make a moral difference to some. If the leather is making use of something that otherwise would go to waste (and you don't have moral objection to eating meat) then that might be different from wearing a jacket make of mink or some other animal (where the animal was raised only for the fur).
    Leather is a primary product from the cattle slaughtering business. After the animal is stunned, hung and bled, the next process is the hiding, where the hide is pulled from the carcass.

The hide is then cured and sold to leather manufacturers. Without that market, the price of beef would be higher than it is.

Here's a general description of the sequence.

I want to go to Bovine University!

I don't own nor would I purchase anything with fur. I do have a leather jacket, shoes and furniture. I know it comes from cows, but never really thought about it. I am not sure why I make the distinction, probably because I know the cows were to be slaughtered anyway for those delicious ribeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I want to go to Bovine University!
    Moo!

vegan

My daughter made me realize that people who are against fur unless they are vegans a bit shallow in their analysis. A friend of mine, his family ran a mink farm and from what I could tell not much different than running a hog farm, or chicken farm (in the days before they became so industrialized). Animals were not so happy, kept in pens or cages.

The other reality is no article of clothing is without environmental impact and it is naive to think otherwise. Cotton farming is not so great
    http://blog.airdye.com/goodforbusine...otton-problem/
    The old coot who wears a deerskin jacket everyday made from deer he shot is being a lot more environmentally friendly than the woman with the full wardrobe of cotton, wool and synthetics who turns her nose up at this guy who wears animal skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Leather is a primary product from the cattle slaughtering business. After the animal is stunned, hung and bled, the next process is the hiding, where the hide is pulled from the carcass.
    I'm a vegetarian, but I don't completely avoid leather, and this is why. If the animal is going to be killed, I'm all for using it as completely as possible. I really don't know if this is more or less environmentally friendly that fake leather products, which (I believe) are mostly petroleum-based.

Not sure I could imagine a situation in which I would feel like an ethical vegetarian while wearing fur, especially living in the south.

I wear leather and, when in the west in winter, I wear fur. Nature's way!