Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Maryland students allegedly beaten by police after Duke game

Even their police are unruly

Isn't rioting by Terp fans after a big win a protected right?

I will be interested in ascertaining how the Terrapin-centric, DC media finds ways to blame this on Duke.

I would not say allegedly after seeing the video on GMA this morning. Guy was skipping down the sidewalk away from the fray when mounted policmen got in his way. He backed up, never touching them or the horses, and all of a sudden was slammed into the wall then the ground by other policemen who beat him up. Police said he hit them and the horses - clearly not from the video. But who knows what the guy was doing beforehand. Even though he is a MD fan, I feel bad for him. PG county cops do not have a good reputation when it comes to this sort of thing.

Bad humor on my part, but did they say Duke got beat? Ouch!

Can we just trade Maryland to the Big East in return for Villanova and bring an end to our long, regional nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit King View Post
    Can we just trade Maryland to the Big East in return for Villanova and bring an end to our long, regional nightmare?
    Interesting choice of words, because as someone who was in Boston last year, I can assure you that Villanova was very much the source of a long, Regional nightmare for us...

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit King View Post
    The Big10/11 is serious about expansion and shopping for teams. Some talk about inviting MD.

wow...that video is a lawyer's pie in the sky....

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I will be interested in ascertaining how the Terrapin-centric, DC media finds ways to blame this on Duke.
    It is Duke's fault since they lost the game. Maryland fans only riot after victories.

Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    Maryland fans only riot after victories.
    If only that were true...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Isn't rioting by Terp fans after a big win a protected right?
    Yes, but the Policemen were Maryland fans, also. This means they could riot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    One of my friends (a Maryland fan) posted: "So even the PG County Cops are Duke fans..."
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

It is Duke's fault since they lost the game. Maryland fans only riot after victories.
    Au contraire, Maryland students riot whether they win or lose.

That sentiment has rung true, for instance, with some at the University of Maryland, where security officers have quelled sports-related rioting at least three times in as many years. Rioting there has become such a part of fandom that more than 1,000 freshmen and sophomores last year swarmed at their first opportunity to damage property after a major basketball loss, says Mary Schneidau, a junior who edits the opinion page of the campus newspaper.
    "There's definitely something institutional about it," Schneidau says. "They were saying, 'We're freshmen and sophomores. This is our chance to riot. That's what we do at Maryland.' They were ready to go," but police dispersed the crowd before trouble could begin.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-01-riot_x.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Au contraire, Maryland students riot whether they win or lose.

Sarcasm is not always evident in print and that was the implication in my post; they riot all the time, win or lose. Interesting to get the outside validation from the reference in your post-

Next time, win or lose, the police should just ready the fire hoses and clean their students up a bit.
    Dopes.

Not to mention...

Doug Gottlieb is already claiming it was caused by the Krzyzewski effect, since he is on police officials about letting the officers play and for whatever reason, whether it’s Krzyzewski or Duke, because he’s the coach of team USA, whatever it is, his riding the official seems to have a greater effect.

Gottlieb may have a point. After all, how many fouls were called on the cops that evening?

"Would you like an assault to go with your batteries?"

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The Big10/11 is serious about expansion and shopping for teams. Some talk about inviting MD.
    Butler would be a perfect fit there. I'm not sure what the requirements for transferring conferences are, but basketball-wise they fit in great.