Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rematch with Butler?

According to this, it's a likely possibility

Rematch in the regular season? the title is somewhat misleading. For the thread and the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    Rematch in the regular season? the title is somewhat misleading. For the thread and the article.
    Sorry for the confusion. Yes, for the regular season.

The beauty of college basketball is that there never really is a rematch unless it is in the same season. Duke will be a much different team next year that will develop its own unique character.

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

Duke SHOULD visit the Hinkle Fieldhouse next year...

Just think of how the atmosphere would be in that place!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I hope it happens, a home-and-away with Butler would be awesome.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Not to be a sore winner or anything, but I don't want to give Butler any chance to claim that they should have been the champions this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil2012 View Post
    Not to be a sore winner or anything, but I don't want to give Butler any chance to claim that they should have been the champions this year.
    Who cares what they claim? It would be a good game.

Besides, it's not like beating a Duke team that lost four starters would give them a reason to claim that they should have been the champs.

And if Singler comes back, they won't beat Duke.

Following the logic that we like to schedule OOC teams that resemble teams we could face in the NCAAT... bring 'em on. I would love a home and home.

Quote Originally Posted by Relics View Post
    Following the logic that we like to schedule OOC teams that resemble teams we could face in the NCAAT... bring 'em on. I would love a home and home.
    Yeah, I like how Duke's philosophy of playing strong "mid-major" teams in regular season OOC games to help prepare for possible 2nd round or Sweet 16 NCAA matchups payed off this season. In the national championship game

I would love to play a home-and-home with Butler (or as I have seen elsewhere possibly a game at Cameron and one at Conseco Fieldhouse).

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I'm finding it hard to see a downside.

Also: Not to have visions of sugar plum fairies, but another OOC rival anno lavin-i would, as a basketball consumer, do me nicely.

The thing says Stevens doesn't really want to play us again, but I'm sure he knows he has to go outside the Horizon League to get on teevee.

Butler doesn't fit the profile of our nonconference opponents too well, but would be a fantastic late-season opponent, slotted in the weekend before the second unc game. St. Johns has lived there recently, but Steve Lavin isn't worthy of us.

when was the last time Duke agreed to play a mid major on their court? I may be missing something, but I can't recall. Further, it seems that, at least lately, Duke has been reluctant to schedule any road games during the preseason unless (a) they are part of a tourney (and as such are at neutral sites), (b) are in a major recruiting locale (DC, NY, LA a few years back), or (c) give a senior an opportunity to play close to home (I think we played in Portland for Dunleavy when he was just a junior, and I dont think we played close to home for Scheyer).

I hope it happens, and I hope coach K steps up to the plate. It would be great for Duke to play in one of the few venues that can give Cameron a run for its money in terms of history and overall awesomeness.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    when was the last time Duke agreed to play a mid major on their court? I may be missing something, but I can't recall.
    We played at unc this year. Whaddya mean they're not a mid-major? They almost won the NIT!

Further, it seems that, at least lately, Duke has been reluctant to schedule any road games during the preseason unless (a) they are part of a tourney (and as such are at neutral sites), (b) are in a major recruiting locale (DC, NY, LA a few years back), or (c) give a senior an opportunity to play close to home (I think we played in Portland for Dunleavy when he was just a junior, and I dont think we played close to home for Scheyer).
    We played Iowa State in Chicago (United Center) this year.

Other considerations for road games are that the game is part of some sort of Challenge, Classic and/or Shootout, or that it is played in an area with a sizeable alumni base.

We're Duke; we can dictate these kind of terms. Not to be snotty or anything... well, precisely to be snotty.

when was the last time Duke agreed to play a mid major on their court?
    November 1997 at Army I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    We played at unc this year. Whaddya mean they're not a mid-major? They almost won the NIT!

We played Iowa State in Chicago (United Center) this year.

Other considerations for road games are that the game is part of some sort of Challenge, Classic and/or Shootout, or that it is played in an area with a sizeable alumni base.

We're Duke; we can dictate these kind of terms. Not to be snotty or anything... well, precisely to be snotty.
    you are correct - the Iowas state game slipped my mind - that was for Jon, and Chicago is a fairly large recruiting base (if not historically for Duke - outside of Dockery).

The point is, Duke is picky with its OOC games and I just dont see us going to play at Hinckle. I would love to, but coach K just avoids playing true road games in the preseason for whatever reason.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Butler doesn't fit the profile of our nonconference opponents too well, but would be a fantastic late-season opponent, slotted in the weekend before the second unc game. St. Johns has lived there recently, but Steve Lavin isn't worthy of us.
    I'm not sure why it doesn't.

Although the games were played in January, we played both Valpo and Butler in 2003 and 2004, respectively. (Valpo is obviously comparable to Butler's size and Butler is, too, I think...) So we've been down this road before.

I noticed that Darnell Archey, who drilled a few long range bombs from near half-court on us in that '03 game in Cameron off the picket fence, was an assistant coach for the Bulldogs this season. Didn't notice this until the national championship game, actually. Boy he looks like a shriveled old man now. My oh my. He also didn't look too happy when I saw him in the post-game

you are correct - the Iowas state game slipped my mind - that was for Jon, and Chicago is a fairly large recruiting base (if not historically for Duke - outside of Dockery).
    And here I thought we went and played a couple of games in Indy so that Jon could play within driving distance from home.