Thumbs up Two things to note/remember

As a note to reinforce the first thing to note/remember regarding Wojo's influence on Brian during his 4 years at Duke, I would like to pass on an experience I had at the players' "restricted" victory party at the Hilton that I was fortunate enough to attend.

Brian's father and I had just finished a conversation, and as he was walking away, he turned back for a second and spotted Wojo walking towards me. Brian's father caught Wojo's eye and I heard him say very clearly to Wojo that he wanted to thank him for all the time and effort that Wojo had put in with Brian, and how well it had paid off. Wojo replied that it was he that actually wanted to thank Brian's father for trusting him with his son.

That was the entire conversation.

As Brian's father walked away, Wojo just stood there for a moment. After what I felt was an appropriate amount of time, I turned to him and asked him if he would sign a hat I have with over 30 Duke "family" members on it (from Dick Groat, to Lefty, to Alarie, King, Duhon, Singler, Crazy Towel Guy, Doug and Chris Collins, etc.). As he was signing, I told him that I really wanted him to know that I thought he was a great big man coach. He finished signing, then turned and looked me straight in the eye and sincerely thanked me for that comment.

I have to tell the DBR community that this was one of the most moving experiences of my life. It just confirmed to me that the Duke "family" experience is the real thing. It was the "frosting on the cake" of my entire Final Four experience.

ricks

In looking at the replay of the end of the game I noticed that Wojo was the first guy Brian hugged when it was over.

This is one of the coolest things I've read on DBR. Wojo appreciation started a dozen plus years ago for me--his was my favorite jersey to draw on my notebooks in school--so it's good to know that he knows how much the Duke family appreciates him, and that he takes it to heart. The man bleeds but one color.

Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing.

Wojo!

Quote Originally Posted by Relics View Post
    The man bleeds but one color.
    No kidding!

Thanks for posting that, ricks. There's no doubt in my mind that Wojo has been under-appreciated as a big man coach and that the Olympic experience has helped all of our coaches. It seemed obvious to me watching our team this year just get better and better that not only was the team a really tight group, but the coaches were dialed in.

holy crap i wish you knew how long ive been trying to find that commercial on the internet with no luck what so ever. thanks for posting that, one of my favorite commercials ever.

I love Wojo! I also noticed that Brian ran to Wojo first before he went to anyone else. I thought that was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    No kidding!

Thanks for posting that, ricks. There's no doubt in my mind that Wojo has been under-appreciated as a big man coach and that the Olympic experience has helped all of our coaches. It seemed obvious to me watching our team this year just get better and better that not only was the team a really tight group, but the coaches were dialed in.
    Sorry to create a complete tangent, but do you know where to find any of the other "It's Spreading" Nike commercials from the 1999 season? Specifically the one filmed in Krzyzewskiville? I have been wanting to show that one to some friends for a long time b/c I am in it for a split second.

What a WONDERFUL post; thank you so much for sharing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Sorry to create a complete tangent, but do you know where to find any of the other "It's Spreading" Nike commercials from the 1999 season? Specifically the one filmed in Krzyzewskiville? I have been wanting to show that one to some friends for a long time b/c I am in it for a split second.
    I found the Wojo/blue blood commercial by looking through this thread.

Nike Ad

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    You know, I was just reminded of this by Starter, who also asked for it, and I remembered my parents taped it back then (split second of me there too) and they don't use VHS tapes anymore. And I have the capabilities to digitize them at work. So I did that this week.

For those who want to see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6dZHcHrzx0

What a great story shared by a dear friend! As I indicated to you earlier, family matters came first this year, but next time I'm joining you! Several of us from the Bubas Era have made a pact to be there.

Where else, but Duke, would we believe with such certainty there will be a next one in our lifetimes?????
    Last edited by Devil in the Blue Dress; 04-09-2010 at 05:05 PM.

love stories like that... as someone who isn't very close to the program (ecu alum but lifetime duke fan) i really enjoy hearing stories from behind the scenes... run-ins with players/coaches off the court... is there a thread with more stuff like that? if not someone should start one. cant get enough of stories like that (as long as they are true)...