Question Defensive Stopper

Hey everyone. I'm new to the boards and to posting on discussion boards in general so I apologize if this post is a little rough around the edges.

I was thinking the other day about great defensive players that Duke has had in the past (my history of Duke Basketball is limited to the early 90's) and I was trying to think of who I would take in a big game to shut down the other team's best player. Granted, match ups would be different if we were facing a dominant man compared to a great point guard, but man-for-man, I thought I'd have to go with Shane Battier. He might not stay with a quick point but I'll take him against any of the other 4 players on the court. I still remember Battier's block of Juan Dixon at Cole in the memorable comeback game.

Who would everyone else take as your defensive stopper for a big game?

Billy King.

On the ball, I would have to go with Billy King. He was persistent and had amazingly good lateral quickness. He could stay with anyone and is our most consistent one-on-one defender IMO. Off the ball, I would go with Shane. He had the athletic ability to steal/block/take charges and the intelligence to anticipate the ball, play passing lanes, and just be in the right place at the right time.

Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    On the ball, I would have to go with Billy King. He was persistent and had amazingly good lateral quickness. He could stay with anyone and is our most consistent one-on-one defender IMO. Off the ball, I would go with Shane. He had the athletic ability to steal/block/take charges and the intelligence to anticipate the ball, play passing lanes, and just be in the right place at the right time.
    I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I still remember Battier's block of Juan Dixon at Cole in the memorable comeback game.
    The block from that year that was even better was tracking down Forte's dunk attempt from behind in the Dean Dome in the final game of the regular season. I remember it as a game- and season-changing play (though I'm sure I've allowed my memory to embellish its importance some). It was the game after Boozer got hurt, after losing at home to Maryland on senior night. There was a ton of doubt about whether we could beat UNC. The first half was high scoring and tight (I think both teams were in the 40s - maybe 43-40 Duke), and the second half started out that way too. Forte took a turnover and headed the other way for what looked like an easy jam (so easy that ESPN cut from the floor cam to the above-the-basket cam for the shot), until, at the very last moment, Battier came flying in and blocked the shot from behind. From then on in the second half, Duke was dominant, and as for the games after that, well, you all know how that story goes. As ridiculous as it is, a part of me will always believe that Battier's block on Forte was directly responsible for giving us momentum to win the ACC and NCAA tourneys that year.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Shane, Shane, and a little more Shane please!

We all know it was Air Brickey!

I'll also go with Shane Battier, but don't forget about Shelden Williams and Chris Duhon. I was always amazed at how Shelden was able to be so aggressive blocking so many shots while still managing to stay out of foul trouble.

Anyone 6' and under I'd take wojo.

FWW,

Krzyzewski has long maintained that King was the best on-the-ball-defender he ever coached and Battier was the best help defender he ever coached.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The block from that year that was even better was tracking down Forte's dunk attempt from behind in the Dean Dome in the final game of the regular season. I remember it as a game- and season-changing play (though I'm sure I've allowed my memory to embellish its importance some). It was the game after Boozer got hurt, after losing at home to Maryland on senior night. There was a ton of doubt about whether we could beat UNC. The first half was high scoring and tight (I think both teams were in the 40s - maybe 43-40 Duke), and the second half started out that way too. Forte took a turnover and headed the other way for what looked like an easy jam (so easy that ESPN cut from the floor cam to the above-the-basket cam for the shot), until, at the very last moment, Battier came flying in and blocked the shot from behind. From then on in the second half, Duke was dominant, and as for the games after that, well, you all know how that story goes. As ridiculous as it is, a part of me will always believe that Battier's block on Forte was directly responsible for giving us momentum to win the ACC and NCAA tourneys that year.
    I remember that play especially well for the over the backboard camera. He didn't even block the shot so much as he gently nudged it out of Forte's hand. The most amazing part was that he got ALL BALL - the timing it took on that play was amazing.

King

I'll never forget the 1988 Eastern Regional Final. Temple and Duke. Temple the number 1 seed with Mark Macon, the high scoring All-American guard who was virtually unstoppable. Duke was the 2 seed.

Billy King guarded Macon for most, if not all, of the game and held him to something like 3 for 21 shooting. Duke wins by 10 (eventually losing to Kansas and Danny Manning in the semis).

That was the most incredible individual defensive performance I've ever watched.
    Last edited by dw0827; 05-22-2007 at 03:09 PM.

grant hill. quickness of a guard, length of a center (not quite, but you get the point), and really athletic...

(I tried to put this up earlier, but in case it's duplicated please forgive).

Billy King or Shane Battier are my choices. Billy could steal the smile off of a kid at Christmas (when he'd smile, he was going for the ball) and Shane was simply awesome around the hole when it was crunch time. You'd need a tetanus shot when going versus Shane when he wanted to keep the ball OUT OF the hoop.

dth.