Does NCAA MOP satisfy one of the Duke criteria to have a jersey retired

Does NCAA MOP satisfy the Duke criteria that to have a jersey retired, that a player must have earned a national award?

Even if that is so, he would have to return for his fourth year as Kyle's other metrics are not sufficient yet to get him there.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...?playerid=2472

The only categories where Kyle Singler is top 10 are the new ones Offensive Rebounding #6 and Defensive Rebounding #7 but #18 overall Rebounding. Also #9 in 3 pt GF Attempts.

Were Kyle to return and produce at this year level (arguments can be made both ways on higher or lower than this year due to 40 games) he would project to be:

#1 in Games Played,
    #1 in Games Started,
    #1 in Minutes Played

#3 in FG Attempts
    #3 in Offensive Rebounding

#3 or #4 in Points scored
    #3 thru #6 in Defensive Rebounds

#5 in 3 Pointers Made

#6 in Total Rebounds

#7 in FT Attempts

#8 in FT Made

So if his MOP satisfies the other requirement, his jersey would surely be retired or he could remove all doubt by earning POY.

Per reply on another board, I realize there are other criteria like graduating, but my main point was Kyle's metrics are not there yet when compared to all time Duke results.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Does NCAA MOP satisfy the Duke criteria that to have a jersey retired, that a player must have earned a national award?

Even if that is so, he would have to return for his fourth year as Kyle's other metrics are not sufficient yet to get him there.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...?playerid=2472

The only categories where Kyle Singler is top 10 are the new ones Offensive Rebounding #6 and Defensive Rebounding #7 but #18 overall Rebounding. Also #9 in 3 pt GF Attempts.

Were Kyle to return and produce at this year level (arguments can be made both ways on higher or lower than this year due to 40 games) he would project to be:

#1 in Games Played,
    #1 in Games Started,
    #1 in Minutes Played

#3 in FG Attempts
    #3 in Offensive Rebounding

#3 or #4 in Points scored
    #3 thru #6 in Defensive Rebounds

#5 in 3 Pointers Made

#6 in Total Rebounds

#7 in FT Attempts

#8 in FT Made

So if his MOP satisfies the other requirement, his jersey would surely be retired or he could remove all doubt by earning POY.
    IF he returns he will be a preseason favorite for POTY and will likely make the all american team

if he comes back, chalk up a jersey for the rafters
    April 1

There are no official criteria for jersey retirement, so the question is pretty much moot.

The four previous Final Four MVP/MOPs for Duke all had their numbers retired, though.

I don't think that, in and of itself, a Most Outstanding Player honor would be sufficient. But if Singler were to return, stay healthy and become an All-American, and graduate, I think he'd have done enough. That'd be an All-American honor, a Final Four MOP honor, three All-ACC teams, an All-Freshman team, and ~2,400 points and 1,000 rebounds. I think he'd get his jersey retired for sure with that resume.

If he leaves now but still graduates, I think he falls short of jersey retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't think that, in and of itself, a Most Outstanding Player honor would be sufficient. But if Singler were to return, stay healthy and become an All-American, and graduate, I think he'd have done enough. That'd be an All-American honor, a Final Four MOP honor, three All-ACC teams, an All-Freshman team, and ~2,400 points and 1,000 rebounds. I think he'd get his jersey retired for sure with that resume.

If he leaves now but still graduates, I think he falls short of jersey retirement.
    I agree CDu. If he does not come back, even if Singelr graduates, Jon Scheyer has way better career metrics than Kyle and Jon does not get it either, Singler not even close without another year of stats.

If you're the best player on a national championship team and you play four years and graduate, you get your jersey retired. Period. So if he returns, lock it up.

Scheyer first

I would want to see Scheyer's number retired ahead of Singler, as he did everything he was asked to do, passed, shot, defended, controlled tempo, worked through slumps, had a ridiculous turnover to assist ratio, and brought some real emotion at the right times. It's close, and it wouldn't be a travesty not to retire his number, but he'd be my pick.

For comparison's sake, an MOP is one of the ways to get a jersey honored at unc (Ellington, Donald Williams)... of course, as I understand it... so is just wearing one.

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    For comparison's sake, an MOP is one of the ways to get a jersey honored at unc (Ellington, Donald Williams)... of course, as I understand it... so is just wearing one.
    haha I know right. My sister went to UNC, and everytime I went to a game, I looked up at the rafters and was like "wtf" there are like so many multiple numbers honored and whatnot. It's so lame. Basically being decent at UNC gets you one.