Team of the decade?

Duke has 2 Championships from 2001-2010 (tying UNC and UF). Most Tourney wins over the decade, and I believe the most overall wins too.

Please mods dont merge this thread this could be a good long one. Thanks.

hate to correct you on something so stupid, but i believe the decade was from 2000-2009.
    2010 started a new decade. So yes we are the team of this decade

Agreed^ this also makes K have A championship in three different decades.

Quote Originally Posted by strawbs View Post
    hate to correct you on something so stupid, but i believe the decade was from 2000-2009.
    Yea, I know you are right, I just wanted to stretch the truth and reclaim the 2000s... sue me

This team is not a very good team

It is a GREAT team.

(Sorry to disagree with you Coach).

2010 started a new decade.
    Depends who you ask. Computer scientists number things from 0, sure, but they're weirdos. Most normal humans number things starting from 1. What was the first year Anno Domini?* 1 A.D. What was the tenth year? 10 A.D. Thus ended the first decade; 11 A.D. kicked off the second.

*NB: this is an exercise in counting, not history...roll with me here

I say a decade is from 01-10. Ten years. Decade. Ta dah! My logic > science.

So Duke has 7 ACC titles in the last decade.

Duke has lead the ACC regular season 4 times in the last decade.

Duke has the most overall wins in the last decade, with no NIT runs to pad the stats.

Duke has made the NCAA tournament every year of the last decade.

Duke has gotten six #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament in the last decade, recognition for truly exception seasons.

Oh, and...

Duke has two National Titles in the last decade, one at each end.

So yeah... we've done pretty well for ourselves, and I think have a pretty good claim to the "Team of the Decade" title.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    Depends who you ask. Computer scientists number things from 0, sure, but they're weirdos. Most normal humans number things starting from 1. What was the first year Anno Domini?* 1 A.D. What was the tenth year? 10 A.D. Thus ended the first decade; 11 A.D. kicked off the second.

*NB: this is an exercise in counting, not history...roll with me here
    Never been a big fan of the "There was no Year Zero" argument as it applies to Decades. A decade is simply put, any 10-year period. Humanity has never measured decades in relation to Anno Domini, the way they measure centuries and millennia.

If someone wanted to define a decade as the stroke of midnight January 5, 1997 to the stroke of midnight January 5, 2007, they're welcome to do so. Some people call 2000-2009 a decade, some want it to be 2001-2010. Both are acceptable, though only the former can properly be called the 2000s.

What is unacceptable is the idea that there is one true measure of a decade. This I found massively irritating last December, when the amateur historians tried to force feed their inapplicable argument. That, my friends, started what I consider the Dumbest Discussion of the Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by strawbs View Post
    1-1 this decade. I like our chances!

However you define decade, if you say the last 10 years, there is no question Duke is the best team. MSU, Carolina, and Florida have been very good, but MSU has no titles (1 if we go back 11 years), and the other two have not been consistent. They haven't even won their conferences consistently, much less made the tournament consistently.

Carolina was making a strong argument for regaining their position at the top of the ACC last year, after a long hiatus, but this performance, coupled with their biggest-waste-of-talent-possibly-ever performance pretty much slaps that down.

Don't forget that on top of the two national titles, we had another final four in there. That should be included in the argument as well.

And I agree that the decade can be any time. So I say we go back 10 basketball seasons from this one, and we can say that we're THE TEAM of the last decade.