Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why Coach K is the best coach of all time

With his championship tonight, Coach K has now won titles 19 years apart.

Compare that to other great Coaches:

Wooden won his first in 64, his last in 75, that's 11 years apart.

Knight won his first in 76, his last in 87, 11 years apart.

Dean Smith won his first in 82, his last in 93, 11 years apart.

Adolph Rupp won his first in 48, his last in 58, 10 years apart.

You have to go back to Branch McCraken at Indiana as the only coach to win championships more than 11 year apart, he won in 40 and 53, 13 years apart.

This just goes to show how hard it is to stay on top of the college basketball world. Even the greatest coaches, can only manage to stay on top and maintain their peak for about 10 to 11 years

K has dominated the field for almost twice as long as all the other great coaches in history, and he is not done yet.

I agree man...who thought after Elliot and Gerald left last season that we would be in this position? NOBODY, not even me I will admit I never saw this coming until sometime in February I considered it a possibility.

All I can say is K (4) = DES (2) + Roy (2)
    Last edited by monkey; 04-06-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    All I can day is K (4) = DES (2) + Roy (2)
    I think a nice "DOUBLE" chant pointing back and forth between K and Ole Roy next year would be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingFor#4 View Post
    I agree man...who thought after Elliot and Gerald left last season that we would be in this position? NOBODY, not even me I will admit I never saw this coming until sometime in February I considered it a possibility.
    Indeed; K's passion, expertise, LEADERSHIP, VALUES, communications/teaching, management, and ethics are peerless.

OZZIE4DUKE never gave up hope, even before Andre jumped on board. Props to him.

Definitely. Never saw this one coming

Why Coach K is the best coach of all time

Because Kenny Powers said so!!!

Also, because he just made a top 10 team a national champion. HE is why were playing with scissors right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    OZZIE4DUKE never gave up hope, even before Andre jumped on board. Props to him.
    Thanks for the props! And as I said in another thread, several others joined me back in October predicting we would be NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I love bob knight

They just interviewed him on ESPN. He was really complimentary about K and the Duke program. He also trashed the "one and done" players - saying it ruined college basketball.

Sorry, I think your math is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    All I can say is K (4) = DES (2) + Roy (2)
    K(4) > DES(2) + Roy(2)

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Thanks for the props! And as I said in another thread, several others joined me back in October predicting we would be NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!
    Hey man...are we gonna win it next year? Please say yes!!!

And in the post-game, when a reporter asked Z a question and referenced his "up and down career", K jumped all over the reporter - "Z's career hasn't been up and down, he's had a broken foot twice, so he's had an injury-plagued career." (or something like that) Then, he deflects with humor, along the lines of, "anyway, everybody knows Zoubek doesn't go up and down, he can't jump!"
    Genius! and Hilarious! You know that those guys would play their hearts out for the guy, he'll have their back!

I think this set him apart, he is the greatest of all time

Its eras

K is the best is what I will call the modern era - seeded tournament, 64 + teams, 1 and done or none and done.

Wooden was the best from the 60's to the mid 80's.

Rupp the best prior to Wooden.

Hard to compare across eras.

SoCal

Could not agree more. It's not only a different era, it's almost a different sport. It is not fair to K or Wooden to compare

Minutes

I pledge to never question K's choice to play the starters full minutes during the year ever again. The big 3 didn't look tired for a minute this tournament and I give credit to the conditioning that he put them through to get into such outstanding condition. Among MANY reasons...coach K you deserve this one!!

Exactly ... Wooden basketball was basically like Women's basketball today.

When Geno Auriemma was asked when women's parity will equal men's, he said, "Never. Not as long as the rules stay the way they are." He gets to have Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi, etc. for 4 years.

Imagine how many titles K would have if Brand, Maggette, Dunleavy, JWill, etc. had stayed for 4 years!!

That's what's so amazing about not only his accomplishments and consistency but his ability to change and adapt.

Some people thought/think Calipari ball of one 'n dones until the NCAA comes calling is the new rule. Guess again. K and Stevens both actually COACHED their players, made them better, and taught them how to play as a TEAM. Even several of the IC haters reluctantly admitted Roy's teams NEVER played defense like Duke or played with Duke's intensity.

The hardest time to do anything is the first. I'm certainly not saying K will run off a string of NCs now, but his Olympic experience in which the world's best basketball players bought into his system of relentless defense first fortified his resolve to teach this team the same principles.

Now, one gold medal and one NC later, he will (hopefully) be able to convince future teams that he can lead them to a FF/NC ... IF they are willing to listen, work, and accept their roles.

I think that's why he's the best ... Because he's the most adaptable. Taking nothing away from Wooden, Rupp, etc. ... But, I don't think Wooden would come even close to 10 in THIS age. Same with Rupp and his 4. Four-year players make a HUGE difference.

I will never, ever question K again. Never. He is the best coach of any sport right now in my opinion.

Coach K has been masterful this season! For me, this is hands down the best coaching season of his Duke tenure. I can't praise Coach K enough for it!!! I am so happy he's our coach!!!!