Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Worst coaching hire in 25 years.
    Nice.

He's been out of coaching for what 5-6 years now? I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Someone called him the pride of Marin County the other night on Espn News. I thought Phil Lesh was...

Quote Originally Posted by HowBoutDemDevils View Post
    congrats on hiring the only guy who is challenging Calipari in the hair greasiness Olympics...hope he has some flashy suits to complement the look and distract from their (inevitable) losing record next year.
    I think there might be something to this. St. John's might think the key to recruiting is the greasy hair. Hard to tell what other qualifications this guy has.

ya

(trying to manage my bias on this guy)

I think he will do fairly well here.

I am not sure on the recuiting end but seriously how much success will Lavin have to have in order to keep the folks there at St. Johns happy? Lavin himself won't be able to fill MSG, but if the media continues to hype the Big East, receives some buzz for the hire, obtain some quality wins, does fairly well in the Big East Tournament, and gets them to the NCAAT then I think it would be considered a success.

The thing is I see this move as simply a way to get back into the game for Lavin. Has he kept himself out this long? Or has their just not been any interest? The reason why he was the coach at UCLA was pure luck itself. If he does accomplish the things mentioned above I see him jumping ship for a more a school with more potential.

(not trying to manage my bias)

I hope that Lavin and K can put something together to keep the series alive for Duke vs. St. Johns. I would love to beat up on Lavin. I remember playing UCLA when Lavin was there, pretty sure Kapono was there main guy, but I was only like 14 at the time and I could not stand the way Lavin had his hair. Looked like a jerk. But now, that I acutally have had the opportunity to hear his anaylsis on the college game and how he sees it, I really can not respect him.

However, I wish him good luck and hope that his tenure in coaching college basketball is a bit more successful this time around.
    Last edited by Duke of Nashville; 03-30-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Worst coaching hire in 25 years.
    I was going to say ever, but 25 will do.

I love it!!!!

This makes the hiring of Matt Millen by the Lions the SECOND worst decision in the history of sports!

Series

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    I hope that Lavin and K can put something together to keep the series alive for Duke vs. St. Johns. I would love to beat up on Lavin. I remember playing UCLA when Lavin was there, pretty sure Kapono was there main guy, but I was only like 14 at the time and I could not stand the way Lavin had his hair. Looked like a jerk. But now, that I acutally have had the opportunity to hear his anaylsis on the college game and how he sees it, I really can not respect him.

However, I wish him good luck and hope that his tenure in coaching college basketball is a bit more successful this time around.
    I thought I read somewhere that the St. John's series was ending, but perhaps I was wrong. I kind of hope it does end, because it hasn't been all that competitive lately (although the Johnnies have got some wins, painful as it is to remember) and I don't think Lavin will turn the program around, at least not in the right direction.

Difficult to understand

Lavin will have to recruit well in the NYC area, and to my knowledge he little experience there. Maybe he has a tie in with World Wide Wes or the Pump Brothers or something that will help him.

It will be interesting to see how what kind of staff he assembles.

He will be able to go to alumni groups and talk about Lou Carnesecca, Chris Mullin, Joe Lapchick, Walter Berry which will make them happy. He will throw in some John Wooden UCLA references as well.

He will it harder to recruit to St. Johns than to UCLA and unless he hires a great staff will have to coach.

SoCal

Hope NYC is stocked up on "Dapper Dan Hair Gel"... for Steve "Do I look like Fred Flintstone to you?" Lavin ... Yaba Daba Do!

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Someone called him the pride of Marin County the other night on Espn News. I thought Phil Lesh was...
    Well-played.

The only better possibility woulf be for him to bring in the Herricks to help him!

The timing of this hire gives Lavin time to order some suits tailored for his new role.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I love it!!!!

This makes the hiring of Matt Millen by the Lions the SECOND worst decision in the history of sports!
    Where does the hiring of Doh fall?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    The timing of this hire gives Lavin time to order some suits tailored for his new role.
    I think Tony Soprano's guy has had free time for awhile ...

Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    That was the BEST hire of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    That was the BEST hire of all time!
    His FIRING may have been a top three bad decision

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    He will be able to go to alumni groups and talk about Lou Carnesecca, Chris Mullin, Joe Lapchick, Walter Berry which will make them happy. He will throw in some John Wooden UCLA references as well.

He will it harder to recruit to St. Johns than to UCLA and unless he hires a great staff will have to coach.
    SoCal
    Alumni groups may temporarily be happy to be reminded of the old guys, but they really want to see the 17 yo McD's A-A's.

My favorite quote is from Baron Davis: Davis told The Contra Costa Times in 2007 during an N.B.A. shootaround at Pauley Pavillion: “We should have a banner up there — the only team to make the tournament without a coach.”

But from my perspective, it's a great hire just because it gets a jerk out of the press box and puts him on the sideline where he can lose 20 games/year. Maybe he can recruit, but it's a tough sell in a tough league...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Alumni groups may temporarily be happy to be reminded of the old guys, but they really want to see the 17 yo McD's A-A's.

My favorite quote is from Baron Davis: Davis told The Contra Costa Times in 2007 during an N.B.A. shootaround at Pauley Pavillion: “We should have a banner up there — the only team to make the tournament without a coach.”

But from my perspective, it's a great hire just because it gets a jerk out of the press box and puts him on the sideline where he can lose 20 games/year. Maybe he can recruit, but it's a tough sell in a tough league...
    HAHAHAHA, I had never heard that Baron quote. He might be my favorite NBA guard...love the beard.

Its too bad, because I would root for St Johns in the big east...not with lavin at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    He can call Huggie's tailor.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    He can call Huggie's tailor.
    KMart has tailors?