Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Geno Auriemma wants to be Duke MENS coach

On ESPN's Outside the Lines this morning, Geno says that he'd leave UCONN to be the Duke men's coach (if the opportunity were there). When asked if he'd coach only at Duke, he said Carolina too.

Great coach.
    Would be a great hire,imo...

Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    On ESPN's Outside the Lines this morning, Geno says that he'd leave UCONN to be the Duke men's coach (if the opportunity were there). When asked if he'd coach only at Duke, he said Carolina too.
    Odd- UConn's men's head coaching job will likely be open sooner. Maybe he just likes the area.

I saw that as well! I would have loved to play for a guy like GENO! He gets the most of his players and while some think he's a tough guy, he truly cares for his girls.

He said he would take the job if Coach K came to him and said he was going to retire and needed someone to take over the job.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Odd- UConn's men's head coaching job will likely be open sooner. Maybe he just likes the area.
    His comment to that was he didn't want to ruin both programs at UCONN if he took over the men's job and left the women's program for someone else.

I watched the interview with him and found it to be interesting. He comes across as very confident bit not arrogant. I have always wondered if he thought about crossing over to the men's game.

I would think that switching from the women's game to the men's would be similar to going from college to pro. The game is different and success in one does not necessarily translate to success at the other. Geno is a hell of a coach and I would guess that if anyone could successfully make the switch it would be him but I don't think it would be an easy transition nor would there be any guarantees.

Coach Auriemma's comments about Duke's Jessica Foley a few years back make it very hard to like him.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I would think that switching from the women's game to the men's would be similar to going from college to pro. The game is different and success in one does not necessarily translate to success at the other. Geno is a hell of a coach and I would guess that if anyone could successfully make the switch it would be him but I don't think it would be an easy transition nor would there be any guarantees.
    No offense, but I dont see it that way at all. WBB is much different than MBB. This guy has mastered, and I mean MASTERED, coaching the woman's game. The men's game is a different beast all together.

K would have to approve this and he's a "family" man so this is all just talk.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    No offense, but I dont see it that way at all. WBB is much different than MBB. This guy has mastered, and I mean MASTERED, coaching the woman's game. The men's game is a different beast all together.
    Did you read the post that you quoted...?

this would make no sense whatsoever and would not happen.

He has zero experience in the men's game, but more importantly, zero experience recruiting high level prospects out of high school on the mens side. Anybody will tell you that this is night and day.

Hiring him would be even more of a reach for the program than hiring a truly dominant coach from division III ball.

I think he'd be good for Carolina...

hud

Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    In an interview at the beginning of the season he said he would be an assistant at Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    this would make no sense whatsoever and would not happen.

He has zero experience in the men's game, but more importantly, zero experience recruiting high level prospects out of high school on the mens side. Anybody will tell you that this is night and day.

Hiring him would be even more of a reach for the program than hiring a truly dominant coach from division III ball.
    The question was brought up as a what if question...he wants to stay in the women's game. So, I think to discredit him on something he isn't even considering is a bit off base, IMO.

What people don't want to acknowledge sometimes when it comes to the (oh dreaded/boring) women's game is that while there are differences in X's and O's, etc. to the men's game, great coaches are great motivators and get the best out of their players. Geno is one of those people.

You need to have both to be a successful coach. I'm sure Geno would struggle in his first few years IF he decided he wanted to come to the men's game (again, he DOESN'T WANT TO...that was the questioning of the interview). But, he's smart enough to figure out the nuances of the men's game. And, last time I checked, Coach K struggled a bit his first few years. You don't walk in to a program and have instant success.

I'm almost as much of a GENO fan as a Coach K fan. People ridicule him b/c he's honest and says exactly what's on his mind. I personally wish there were more people like that instead of those who say what you want to hear. I can think of a few of them in the men's game, and I'm sure all of you could as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    The question was brought up as a what if question...he wants to stay in the women's game. So, I think to discredit him on something he isn't even considering is a bit off base, IMO.

What people don't want to acknowledge sometimes when it comes to the (oh dreaded/boring) women's game is that while there are differences in X's and O's, etc. to the men's game, great coaches are great motivators and get the best out of their players. Geno is one of those people.

You need to have both to be a successful coach. I'm sure Geno would struggle in his first few years IF he decided he wanted to come to the men's game (again, he DOESN'T WANT TO...that was the questioning of the interview). But, he's smart enough to figure out the nuances of the men's game. And, last time I checked, Coach K struggled a bit his first few years. You don't walk in to a program and have instant success.

I'm almost as much of a GENO fan as a Coach K fan. People ridicule him b/c he's honest and says exactly what's on his mind. I personally wish there were more people like that instead of those who say what you want to hear. I can think of a few of them in the men's game, and I'm sure all of you could as well.
    Well stated and I agree with you. I admire Geno's accomplishments. He has an incredible record and no hint of doing anything wrong. I also like his honest directness with the press. He doesn't pull punches. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DueBlevil View Post
    Did you read the post that you quoted...?
    I did. Though his remark was guarded, I still think it was too generous. I dont think Geno would have any chance at success going from a top womens program to mens. Its completely different. I dont think that "if anyone could do it, he could" as the quote says. I flat out think none of them could right away. Theyd have to try success at smaller mens programs to see if they have a knack for it, then maybe someday work for a powerhouse like Duke or Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    I did. Though his remark was guarded, I still think it was too generous. I dont think Geno would have any chance at success going from a top womens program to mens. Its completely different. I dont think that "if anyone could do it, he could" as the quote says. I flat out think none of them could right away. Theyd have to try success at smaller mens programs to see if they have a knack for it, then maybe someday work for a powerhouse like Duke or Carolina.
    If you have qualms about X's and O's, roy williams met with geno last year so that roy could incorporate sets from geno's offense into his own...so we have one of the premeir (snicker) coaches in the mens game taking offense lessons from geno....i'd say thats not a bad hint

that said, i think his biggest issue would be with recruiting and connecting with the 'guys' in the early years...because obvioulsy you can't do it the same as you do it with girls...like some of his rules...that one player has to high five the entire bench for every made 3? wouldn't fly for guys...just an example...so obviously he'd have to bring on board some men's coaches as assistants that had been around the game to show him the ropes

ultimately i don't think he's going anywhere...what is so enticing about the womens game is that you don't have to worry about losing a player after a year...and compromising academics for athletic success...so for a coach who just wants to coach people to win, and have years to develop them, the womens game is an absolutely great opportunity...the closest you get to that setup in a big mens program is duke...obviouslyj academics are key, people hang around and you don't have to deal with people stealing laptops....so that would be my guess as to why he would say duke

lastly, he would never say anything about the uconn mens job, mostly because of the contentions with jim, if he said yeah that's something i'd like to do...i'm not sure that would buy him any brownie points...so obviously he took a good road out of it saying he didn't want to ruin two programs
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

ultimately i don't think he's going anywhere...what is so enticing about the womens game is that you don't have to worry about losing a player after a year...and compromising academics for athletic success...so for a coach who just wants to coach people to win, and have years to develop them, the womens game is an absolutely great opportunity...
    I couldn't agree with you more. Can you imagine what it felt like as a fan/coach to know Maya Moore as a freshman was PHENOMENAL and you had her for 3 MORE YEARS? That's why the women's teams can be so dominant. They get a good player, they're not going anywhere unless they transfer. For the men, that's why it's so hard. You play a guessing game from year to year whether or not your elite players will return.

I also agree with the recruiting comment. That would be an issue I think for Geno in the men's game. He's a great recruiter, though, for the women, but I'm not sure how they guys would take him.

He applied for the Duke Women's head coaching job; Duke chose to hire Gail instead...

Geno once said he'd coach the Sixers.