Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Media: Some people do write nice stories about Duke

Tom Robinson of The Virginian-Pilot (in Norfolk), after Sunday's gutty win in the ACC finals.

Here's the link

The Pilot has a fine sports section. They cover one of the more productive sports regions in the country. Plenty of big time athletes come out of the Hampton Roads area.
    I'm guessing devildownunder has ties there if he/she reads the Pilot online.
    Nice article, although every time (rarely) I read a complimentary article about Duke, I'm always waiting for the backhand!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I'm guessing devildownunder has ties there if he/she reads the Pilot online.
    I am from Norfolk.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    I am from Norfolk.
    Awesome article! I love it. And Norfolk holds a special spot in my heart. My granddad was stationed in Norfolk and lived there his whole life!

Moxie baby, moxie...

Hard to find good sportswriting

but the Pilot usually manages to have well-written sports articles, with all the facts checked. Even their editorials are normally well thought-out. They do a good job of covering the ACC.

I'm originally from Chesapeake and grew up reading and enjoying their sports articles. (The rest of the paper, unfortunately, is spotty.)

I don't know how even Duke haters could dislike Kyle Singler. The guy's a scrapper, a gamer, a tough guy willing to do anything to win.

I really hope he comes back for his senior season, because he would be celebrated by Duke fans the entire year.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Nice article, although every time (rarely) I read a complimentary article about Duke, I'm always waiting for the backhand!

Had to chuckle at the comment ... I'm the same way!

Another one

"Sometimes it's best not to wake a sleeping giant. "
    It also has Nolan's twitter comment ...
    The Chi Master

Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    Another one

"Sometimes it's best not to wake a sleeping giant. "
    It also has Nolan's twitter comment ...
    Really like that article. Brief and to the point. Hope the author's right. LET'S GO DUKE!!!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Having lived in Virginia Beach / Tidewater -- the Virginia Pilot has always been a quality and objective newspaper by today's standards, especially when it comes to all sports, not just basketball.

We don't drink, we don't smoke - Norfolk! Norfolk!

And even Doug Gottlieb

At about the 50 minute mark this morning on the Mike and Mike Show on ESPN, Doug pretty well demolished the whole "Duke Bracket Conspiracy" nonsense. The essence of the thesis (similar to DBR analysis) was basically that anyone who buys into that is uninformed about the selection process and chooses to remain so.
    He went on a bit to say that while the bracket might look the most favorable, it was by no means the "cupcake" that is such a popular description, and that Duke in fact well earned the #1 seed.
    Maybe I see a bit too much in the comments, but it seemed to me that Gottlieb has gotten to the point where he thinks the constant anti-Duke yammering is pretty stupid.

Complain all you want, but Devils keep winning

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...9874?p=1&tc=pg

Nice piece by Bret Friedlander (didn't see this posted previously).

Whatever the reason for the Duke-flavored Haterade, it has become fashionable for broadcasters and columnists to serve it up in generous portions this time every year.

The complaint du jour is that the NCAA tournament selection committee smiled favorably on the Blue Devils by giving them a No. 1 seed over a West Virginia team with more losses and a lower computer ranking.

I like what I see when this Duke team plays. Each game they play is entertaining and produces good results. Who doesn't like a "W"?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...9874?p=1&tc=pg

Nice piece by Bret Friedlander (didn't see this posted previously).
    Loving it. Just sent to colleague who was giving me that line of garbage about Duke having the easiest road.
    The Gordog

I also just sent it to my daughter so she can shut a few jerks up who pick on her Duke affiliation and then accuse her of being defensive.
    She knows the truth! DEFENSE, clap, clap, DEFENSE!

Nice article praising Scheyer

It's a fluff piece and not high on content, but it's very complimentary. Of course, it's a Chicago-based article, so there's some bias involved

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3157171.story

P.S. If this has been posted elsewhere, I apologize.

^Posted on the DBR front page, but not on the forums yet. This made me cringe though:

But the d o o k i e s head to Indianapolis the highest-seeded team with the most legitimate chance of winning it all, thanks largely to Scheyer,
    People don't even realize it's an insult.

He's a former Illinois Mr. Basketball. He led Glenbrook North to a state title. He chose Duke over Illinois. Are you a Jon Scheyer fan?
    53% no, 47% yes

Stewart Mandel at SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Not so fast, Duke haters: These overachievers are worth rooting for
    I thought it was a pretty good article with some good points re: blind hatred.
    But all this blind Duke hatred -- it's so 2006. Do you even know why you're still rooting against the Blue Devils? Or have you been doing it for so long that it's become as ingrained a habit as mocking Pauly Shore movies?

Because I've got to tell you -- most of the reasons people give for hating Duke basketball don't really apply to this year's team.
    Discussing the ease of the Duke's bracket...
    But that argument no longer holds water after what's transpired in this tournament. When I said the Jayhawks got a tougher draw than the Blue Devils, I wasn't referring to quality of their opposing No. 9 seeds. It's not Duke's fault that Kansas couldn't handle Northern Iowa, or that Syracuse ran into Butler. Duke's past three games were actually harder when measured by total seed number (No. 8 Cal + No. 4 Purdue + No. 3 Baylor = 15) than fellow Final Four participants Michigan State (No. 4 Maryland, + No. 9 Northern Iowa + No. 6 Tennessee = 19) and West Virginia (No. 10 Missouri + No. 11 Washington + No. 1 Kentucky = 22).
    I don't know if this should have been in the hatred tsunami thread as a counterpoint or this one.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”