Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PP/Greg Monroe

PP/Greg Monroe

Some of Patterson's comments about not liking the Duke team and liking the Duke recruits the least make me feel doubtful about the acquisition of Monroe.

I think Patterson saw a racial disparity between Duke basketball and the other schools. I also think that is an understandable reason for him.

sure...

Yeah, it's understandable when someone doesn't want to play with people of another race.

I hope that statement was reflective of the poster putting words into Patterson's mouth and not of his actual feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreechTDX View Post
    Some of Patterson's comments about not liking the Duke team and liking the Duke recruits the least make me feel doubtful about the acquisition of Monroe.

I think Patterson saw a racial disparity between Duke basketball and the other schools. I also think that is an understandable reason for him.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Yeah, it's understandable when someone doesn't want to play with people of another race.

I hope that statement was reflective of the poster putting words into Patterson's mouth and not of his actual feelings.
    I knew something like this response ^^^ would be the first thing posted. Don't take it form a racist standpoint. No matter how you feel is it not clearly evident in most places "birds of a feather flock together."

I'm not racist, but if someone told me they felt that way then I would understand.

And yes, I am totally putting words in Patterson's mouth. It was just something that popped into my head.

I, for one, think we get too many goofy white dudes.

p.s. I.m white.

If that's Patterson's argument, then that's pretty lame. As a black male on a college campus, he's about as minority as you get no matter where he goes. I also don't feel it's a question of race when you have a Johnny Dawkins as an Associate HC and you have multiple black players on the team.

If he didn't get along with the recruits/players because he just didn't get along with them, that's one thing. And that's all I've heard out of his mouth, so that's where I'll leave it.

Honestly, I'm glad this whole process is over, because I never knew what to believe from the beginning besides what I heard from Watzone.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreechTDX View Post
    Have a sense of f'n humor.
    Racism is not something to 'have a sense of humor' about. This thread has the feel of the 'wink and nod' version of racism. If you are intending that, good job. If not, you should make a clear indication.

Condoning racism is not something that is okay.

Exiled

Whoa whoa whoa; let's step back and have a LITTLE perspective please.

This is NOT a thread about RACISM.

It is a thread about a player and his saying that he didn't feel like he meshed with the players at Duke.

Now, you can go ahead and stick your head in the sand and pretend that all people are the same if you wish, but I think that is a bit unrealistic.

At Duke we definately do seem to have a higher percentage of white players than at many top tier programs. How that impacts our program is an interesting social and sports phenomenon, and one worth discussing.

All discusion of race is NOT automatically racist. As someone who lived in Alpha Phi Alpha at Duke and who was an African American Studies major, I can attest to that. "Racism" is when you attribute a NEGATIVE connotation to a race, which no one has really done here, unless you TRULY take massive umbridge at "goofy," in which case I think you are a bit oversensitive.

So I think asking how our team makeup affects recruits is definately worth discussing, especially in light of how it came up. Don't go sticking your head in the sand because race is mentioned, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa; let's step back and have a LITTLE perspective please.

This is NOT a thread about RACISM.

It is a thread about a player and his saying that he didn't feel like he meshed with the players at Duke.

Now, you can go ahead and stick your head in the sand and pretend that all people are the same if you wish, but I think that is a bit unrealistic.

At Duke we definately do seem to have a higher percentage of white players than at many top tier programs. How that impacts our program is an interesting social and sports phenomenon, and one worth discussing.

All discusion of race is NOT automatically racist. As someone who lived in Alpha Phi Alpha at Duke and who was an African American Studies major, I can attest to that. "Racism" is when you attribute a NEGATIVE connotation to a race, which no one has really done here, unless you TRULY take massive umbridge at "goofy," in which case I think you are a bit oversensitive.

So I think asking how our team makeup affects recruits is definately worth discussing, especially in light of how it came up. Don't go sticking your head in the sand because race is mentioned, please.
    First of all, I was stating that this had the feel of racism, no that the thread was a bout racism. Some of what lead me to that conclusion has been erased from the thread already, so it changes the context. In regard to what I posted, (which I assume is your inspiration for asking for perspective), it was a little aggressive, but I stand by it. If SchreechTDX wasn't talking racism than I would appreciate him being more explicit about it.

On to the on-topic aspect of this:
    ScreechTDX said he was putting words into PP's mouth. As a consequence, this discussion is purely theoretical. As such, it is grossly inappropriate to attribute attitudes to people when we don't have complete data. Playing time, personality, work ethic, egos, and any number of factors could force the issue of not fitting with the individuals on the team. The challenge is that they are not as easy to see as race. Honestly, to assume race in a case like this where we have little information is intellectually lazy.

Exiled

A lot of message board posters

attributed Brian Butch's turning down of UNC to not being comfortable with a (then) all black team. Or it was thinly veiled as not having "swagger."

If you honestly think PP didn't come to Duke because of a racial disparity I find that hard to believe. If this was the problem then I doubt he would have signed with Uk, seeing that Kentucky is a mostly white school, as well as the city of Lexington and its surrounding areas.
    This will have no effect on the recruiting of Monroe, due to the fact that it's an absurd claim.

So whats this got to do with Greg Monroe?

Title of this thread...

...is misleading.

I would of never even of read it had it been titled what it should of been, however the original poster did it to draw in discussion. IMHO

Back on Topic

I really am worried about Greg Monroe. Not because of racism, no racism (file this under most useless, idiotic, non sequitor on the Board Ever), etc.

He is really good. He could go anywhere in America. We have no backup plan, apparantly. Many of his recent quotes have indicated that he is more wide open than we have been lead to believe. It is not just an LSU, TX, and Duke race, with UNC and a few others trailing.

I really believe he is wide open. He may like Duke, but I can really see him taking until May to decide, thus ensuring the best situation for himself. Because, let's face it, if GM called up to committ, you would find a scholly somewhere. Based on the few comments I have read, GM could end up anywhere.

Also, despite the fact that LSU is currently in the toilet, there will be tremendous pressure on GM to resurrect the local program, especially in the wake of the Katrina Rebuilding Effort. This kind of state wide pressure will be real hard to ignore. KY is white hot nationally right now, and BG will be putting the push on, hard. KS, UNC, UL and others can offer as much as we can.

My real fear here is that there appears to be no backup plan in place. Duke is not being mentioned by any of the other top posts as being considered. If we whiff on GM, we will be looking at another class of (we assume) wings. Because, for the first time in a while, Duke does not have committed players/strong leans heading into the summer. This time last year we had all but locked up Smith, King, with Singler having us in his final 2-4 with his preference for Duke widely whispered.

We do not need any more wings, unless it is to get a replacement for Henderson, who could be a candidate for early entry (assuming smith is an adequate replacement for DM). I am getting a little weary of the steady stream of Wings into the program, when it is becomming more evident every year that the two key components to a NC level team are an athletic PG and very capable post presence.

Our PG situation is what it is, some like it, some don't. We are OK at PG, and without injury to slow him down, anything can happen.

But the post is thin. BZ could get there, but he is at least another year off of being a real threat, and he is still a big IF, even then. I like LT, but he is more of a Shane type PF, who is a pro level SF playing up to PF. Basically he will play the exact same position as Singler. We are really lacking a Shel, Booz, Brand type of low post banger/shot blocking presence.

If we do not get GM, I truly fear that the 08-09 season, which is really shaping up to be a special year with all the current talent in place, will be missing that one piece. Obviously, GM is that missing piece. But if we do not get him, we do not seem to be positioned well for a back up.

I know it is early, and that the staff needs to evaluate players over the summer, but K's time is restricted anyway due to National Team considerations.

I know that I was the original howler panic monkey (but I was completely right about virtually all my concerns, not that I got credit or an apology afterwards), but again, the sky may be falling. Not to the extent of the past season, but without GM we will see the team fall just short in two years for lack of an athletic, mobile, big man. GM would be ideal, but given the talent we will have in place, a lesser player would do almost as well. That team (barring attrition/defection) will not need the post to do anything but rebound, play D, and pick up 8-10 ppg, mostly on garbage baskets. But we will need all of those things to bring home the NC.

I would like to see the staff pursue other players. Just in case, you know?

Patrick Yates

Why don't you call K and make the suggestion?

Patrick Yates

Your comments are dead on. I recall many posters blasting away when a great number of us recognized the team.s limitations early last season. Unless Zoubek makes huge strides - we will be playing very small. Unless Nolan Smith can really help out at the point (which I think is more likely to happen), we will be limited at that position compared to Top 10 programs.

It appears Duke will be good next year, but I don't see us maintaining the high perch that we enjoyed from the late 1990's thru 2005-2006. But, I bellieve the team will be fun to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    Your comments are dead on. I recall many posters blasting away when a great number of us recognized the team.s limitations early last season. Unless Zoubek makes huge strides - we will be playing very small. Unless Nolan Smith can really help out at the point (which I think is more likely to happen), we will be limited at that position compared to Top 10 programs.

It appears Duke will be good next year, but I don't see us maintaining the high perch that we enjoyed from the late 1990's thru 2005-2006. But, I bellieve the team will be fun to watch!
    Echo echo. Even if zou exceeds all of our expectations. Who spells him when he needs a blow? What about foul trouble (BOUND to happen to a 7 footer)? At a minimum we need a backup post presence, and we dont even have that! Now, the staff has time to get another post presence before Zou leaves town in 3 years, but you've always got to have someone who can provide relief.

Sheld had Shav & McBob, and PJ in an emergency. Boozer had Casey Sanders/reggie love (amazing that he could play the 5 at 6'4", btw), and brand had chris burgess.

I flat out guarantee you that Greg Monroe will not be the only big man targeted by Duke from the class of '08. In fact, Duke would like to bring in Monroe and another big man.

Duke will be active this summer evaluating bigs. Look for Michael Dunnigan from Chicago to start getting lots of attention.

FWIW, no one expects Greg Monroe to wait until next spring to pick a school.

I just want Duke to land Greg!

Go DUKE!

Are we still going after Samardo Samuels?

On scout .com it looks like we are'nt or we are trailing...

The Post will be vital that year...

I agree with you Yates, Greg Monroe is a huge target especially after the 3:45 news conference yesterday.

I think that we will have a decent shot, and the word on the street is that Duke is giving him a lot of attention, making sure that someone is there to watch him and to talk to him (when allowed) at camp games, all star events, and the like. (watzone confirm/deny/no comment?) I think Coach K does a good job of letting a kid know he truly cares a lot about them as a player, I just hope it is clear to Greg what kind of team it would be if he could be the lynchpin for.

I think how we compete next season will have a great effect on GM, if we can have a solid season and fairly strong NCAA tournament he will have to realize the kind of potential that the group we are putting out there next season will have.

I am really excited about Singler, King, and Smith's arrivals, I think Singler has the ability to be a VERY special player in the Duke system. Let's hope Greg just sees as much potential in them as we all do!
    Last edited by thebur; 05-17-2007 at 12:30 PM.