Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Duke 57, Virginia 46 Post-Game Thread

Enjoy your afternoon's discussion!

dare i say? survive and advance. better 2nd half, much better.

Winner of Miami and VPI up next.

That was ugly - partuclarly the poor shooting - but we executed well down the stretch. I suspect we lose if this is th best we play all weekend. I also suspect we step it up a notch!

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs up Nice toughness

That was a good win for Duke. They didn't look sharp but I expect them to look much better in their next game against the Hokies.

Duke was tough when it counted.

This game demonstrates the difference coaching can make. We struggled a bit on the offensive end of the court, especially during the first half. I'd give a lot of credit to an undermanned Hoos team and a good game plan by Tony Bennett. What kind of success would he have with the talent that Wake or GaTech has?

I love the fact that this Duke team perseveres through that kind of adversity and pressure and can still pull it out. The theme for the rest of the year is survive and advance.

-c

A gritty, dig down deep win. Survive and advance.

Extremely poor offensive performance, decent defense, fortunate we were playing a weak opponent.

But it's a win. Tomorrow's a new day.

A little less nerve-wracking than 2009's first round game. Or 2006's. I believe we won the tournament in both those years.

Second half was much better, and the team actually shot pretty well outside of Scheyer. They made some very good defensive adjustments and limited UVA to only 19 second half points.

It wasn't a very impressive win, but hopefully the first half brought the team back to life. Miami-VT should be an interesting game.

I will give credit where it is due.

Bennette had those dudes ready to go - they fought, they scrapped and they competed HARD. We had an ugly game, but UVa had something to do with that.

Can you imagine if Bennette were HC for WF or GT?
    Completely different conference results, I'd wager.

Why can't Ryan Kelly...

...keep his mouthpiece in his mouth??

Oh My, Evan Turner made about a 40 footer at the buzzer to help Ohio State escape, that would have been one more step to Duke getting a number 1.

Well, if Duke needed a little fear put into them, it worked. As others have said, a win is a win -- even an ugly win such as this. Better an ugly win than a pretty loss. Next play!

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    I love the fact that this Duke team perseveres through that kind of adversity and pressure and can still pull it out. The theme for the rest of the year is survive and advance.

-c
    I'd love to agree with you, but this was against a pretty terrible Virginia team without their best player. The first round of the ACC tournament should not be a survive and advance kind of game. I'll cross my fingers Duke's road woes haven't returned...

Ugly offensive performance, above average defensive performance, extremely fortunate we were playing a UVA team without Landesberg, their leading scorer. Singler saved our tournament with his 12 point spurt in the second half, and Scheyer played like a Senior when it mattered, though the majority of his play left much to be desired for. We need more contributions from Zoubek, Thomas, and both Plumlees if we want to beat Virginia Tech or Miami tomorrow. I'll take it though, a win is a win. Syracuse, Villanova, and possibly Kentucky today don't know what a conference tournament victory feels like this season!

Let's Go Duke.

Tournament Games

Less of the physical seemed to be called in this game as for instance Zoubek and Singler were absolutely mugged without a call. It was that way in both directions with a few exceptions. When the game is allowed to be played that way, we need to make open shots and free throws, something that we didn't start out doing.

Scheyer seemed a step slow today and his shooting was really off, perhaps the worst display of airballs and missed opportunities for him, plus he got picked by the small but speedy guards for Virginia. It just looked like he was dead tired out there. At least in the end he was able to show some of what makes him a really great college player.

Singler and Smith did an excellent job and Zoubek when able to be in the game in the second half showed his value, altering shots and getting rebounds.

We will need a much better effort going forward to win against the better teams. It is a win and the idea is to win and advance, so the team is on track, just a little more difficult than imagined.

Are you watching everyone else during tournament week? All of the big names are struggling: the top Big East teams are out, OSU needed a circus shot to beat a bad Michigan team, Kansas was held in check by Texas Tech like we were by the Cavs, and even Kentucky is down at halftime.

Jon Scheyer looks really stiff out there...

back injury?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    I'd love to agree with you, but this was against a pretty terrible Virginia team without their best player. The first round of the ACC tournament should not be a survive and advance kind of game. I'll cross my fingers Duke's road woes haven't returned...

If anything, it was a home game for us being in Greensboro. It was pretty ugly, but we're allowed to play poorly in a game like that if you ask me. Coach K was not pleased and I am sure the whole team is not pleased with their performance. It was a let down after our demolishing of UNC almost a week ago, but it's good that we are going right back at it tomorrow.

I don't really know how we held them to 46 points- our defense wasn't noticeably better than usual, and at times we even looked sluggish getting back. Scheyer played great D on Zeglinski, but on offense Scheyer was just off. He had a couple of nice plays in the final 7 or 8 minutes though, when the team as a whole was playing much better. Singler really came on and played very well in the second half. Nolan still spent more time with the ball in his hands than I like to see, but he made some good buckets when no one else was. And I was even pretty pleased with the Plumlees' play. The +/- stats won't reflect that because they were in for Zoubek during UVA's first half run, but Singler's subsequent foul trouble was probably a bigger reason for our drought. Dawkins wasn't really a factor at all. Obviously I'd like to see our offense be more productive next game, but it's also imperative that we do a better job getting back on defense and preventing transition baskets.