Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

All-ACC: Jon and Kyle 1st team, Nolan 2nd team, Lance defense

Here's the link: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...m-unc-shut-out

Jon and Kyle on the first team, Nolan on the second team. Lance makes Defensive team. And no Heels anywhere to be found.
    Last edited by -jk; 03-08-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: new thread
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Yep. Here's the link: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...m-unc-shut-out

Jon and Kyle on the first team, Nolan on the second team. Lance makes Defensive team. And no Heels anywhere to be found.
    I think the voters did a pretty good job this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think the voters did a pretty good job this year.
    I agree. Its hard to argue with any of the picks. There was some chatter about Zoubs moving onto the 3rd team. Wonder how many votes he got...

Quote Originally Posted by capitolhill View Post
    Why should the award be shared? It dilutes the value of the award. Scheyer had an outstanding year, but GV edged him out, especially in conference play. Can you really make the case that GV shouldn't get the nod?
    You can if you count defense. You can do lots of things with offensive stats to demonstrate any number of points in either direction. What is not really seriously debatable is that Scheyer is a far better defender than Vasquez. Even in the recent Duke-Maryland game, Vasquez was beaten repeatedly. Of course the announcers don't mention such minor issues, but there it was. If the two guys are essentially even on offensive stats, their teams tied for the conference championship (regular season) and one guy is way better on defense, that should decide it. But then again, Scheyer has never gotten credit for his defensive play over the years, and Vasquez has never been called out on his, so why would announcers and reporters start now?

Three Smiths on the 2nd team. I think Aminu and Landesberg should change their name to "Smith" to keep things easy.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    And no Heels anywhere to be found.
    They are the only team not represented. Ten teams had a least one member on one of the All-ACC squads and Miami has a All-ACC rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke3517 View Post
    Assist to turnover ratio is the most important stat and he clearly is light years ahead of Vasquez in that category.
    This is a digression, but I don't know how you can justify the above statement. Assist/turnover ratio is a stupid and flawed statistic to begin with, and even if it wasn't, it certainly wouldn't be the most important stat in determining the ACC POY.

Also, Lance on the defensive team is a nice accomplishment.

since lance finished 4th in the voting on defensive team, is it pretty safe to assume he won't be the defensive poy? Does singleton win because he had the most votes for the team, or is the voting for the poy awards seperate?

Rookies

Until Coach Cal's ninth inning rally, everybody seemed to agree that UNC had by far the best freshman class in the country. Although injuries were a factor, they did not have even one player on the all-rookie team:

Derrick Favors, Georgia Tech (52)
    Jordan Williams, Maryland (51)
    Durand Scott, Miami (44)
    C.J. Harris, Wake Forest (41)
    Michael Snaer, Florida State (35)

All-ACC

Its hard to argue with any of the choices. Because they have an All-Rookie team, I think it is harder for a freshman like D Favors to make the regular All-ACC team. It is also hard to get three players from a school on the first team- if Nolan played for another school, I think he would have made it.

When is the last time that neither Duke nor unc had a player on the all-freshman team?

You should not be allowed to make any All-ACC team if you can't even stay academically elligible.

I do not think that Singler gets nearly enough credit for his defensive play. It seems to me that he is by far the best help defender on Duke's team under the basket. He also blocked a lot of shots, especially on guys who seemed to have a lay up or a dunk. He also guards the other teams small forward and also switches effectively to the guards. While I am glad that Thomas has gotten recognition on the All - defensive team, in my opinion Singler is Duke's best defensive player.

Congrats to all our guys who made the All Conference teams!

I'm surprised that Lance was "only" fourth in voting on the All Defensive team. Too bad Zoubs didn't start playing defense like a madman until the last month or so. Watching him now is simply amazing! And the coordination with Lance on switches, help side and screens is like watching a ballet!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    This is a digression, but I don't know how you can justify the above statement. Assist/turnover ratio is a stupid and flawed statistic to begin with, and even if it wasn't, it certainly wouldn't be the most important stat in determining the ACC POY.
    Also, in conference play (which is I believe the supposed criteria for the selections), Scheyer isn't even "light-years" ahead of Vasquez in A/TO ratio. Scheyer's A/TO ratio in ACC play is 2.1. Vasquez's ratio is 1.9.

When you consider that Vasquez averaged two more assists per game and 3.5 more points per game in conference play, shot a higher FG% and 3pt FG% and nearly matched Scheyer in FT% and A/TO, and I think it's not unreasonable at all to say that Vasquez is the conference player of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Also, in conference play (which is I believe the supposed criteria for the selections), Scheyer isn't even "light-years" ahead of Vasquez in A/TO ratio. Scheyer's A/TO ratio in ACC play is 2.1. Vasquez's ratio is 1.9.

When you consider that Vasquez averaged two more assists per game and 3.5 more points per game in conference play, shot a higher FG% and 3pt FG% and nearly matched Scheyer in FT% and A/TO, and I think it's not unreasonable at all to say that Vasquez is the conference player of the year.
    As much as I hate saying I have to agree that Vazquez deserves to get the ACC POY award. Scheyer's defense does nullify some of the differences in the statistics but Vzaquez still gets the edge due to his in conference performances and the what have you done lately factor.

all-acc

While does the front page say that Kyle made the second team???

He was a first team pick, although not unanimous as Jon was.

Quote Originally Posted by noyac View Post
    As much as I hate saying I have to agree that Vazquez deserves to get the ACC POY award. Scheyer's defense does nullify some of the differences in the statistics but Vzaquez still gets the edge due to his in conference performances and the what have you done lately factor.
    I think you can logically argue either way for Scheyer/Vasquez, but I think that the "MVP" factor will give it to Vasquez. I know it's POY award and not an MVP, but the fact that Maryland relied solely on Vasquez will help him immensely. Especially during conference play, Jon would have some "down" games where Kyle or Nolan carried the team more, but for Maryland, it was generally Vasquez or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke
    And no Heels anywhere to be found.
    Geez, Harrison Barnes must really be double thinking his decision now. He almost signed with a team on the rise, only to change his mind to a team in extreme free fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    While does the front page say that Kyle made the second team???

He was a first team pick, although not unanimous as Jon was.
    Julio has made the needed correction.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com