Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Greivis Vasquez - The First in ACC History

He's the first in ACC History to post 2,000 points, 700 assists, and 600 rebounds! That's pretty awesome.

Eventhough he's a cocky son of a gun that is still very impressive. Does anyone know of any other players that even got close to those stat lines? Just curious to know.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'll put Greivis right there with his counterpart, Redick. Fun to watch, fun to hate.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

vasquez

Quote Originally Posted by HateCarolina View Post
    Eventhough he's a cocky son of a gun that is still very impressive. Does anyone know of any other players that even got close to those stat lines? Just curious to know.
    Vasquez is just the 13th player in ACC history to get to 700 assists, so there are not a lot of contenders for this particular comination of statistical achievements.

You might look at Jason Williams, who topped 2,000 points and had 644 assists in just three seasons. He also had 395 rebounds, so it's not farfetched to suggest that he could have topped 2,500 points, 900 assists and 600 rebounds if he'd have stayed four years (he didn't of course -- just trying to put Vasquez's numbers in context).

When you look at the best-rounded players in Duke history, you'll see Ferry will 2,000-plus points, 1,000-plus rebounds, but "just" 506 assists.

Grant Hill came up just short of 2,000 points (1924), and had 761 rebounds and 461 assists. Battier also came up just short of 2,000 points and while he had 887 rebounds, he only has just short of 300 assists. Dick Groat finished just short of 2,000 points and almost certainly had 600-plus assists and well over 600 rebounds (we don't have complete assist/rebound totals for his career). Heyman also barely missed 2,000 points and was well over 800 rebounds ... he was a great playmaker, but probably didn't get close to 700 assists (we don't have his assist totals).

These are just a Duke list. Hmmm, Phil Ford had more points and more assists, but he didn't get to 400 rebounds. In three years, Charlie Scott had 2,000-plus points and 649 rebounds. We only have his assist total for one year (193 -- in an era when assists were much more grudgingly handed out). I'm sure there are more.

I have to say that you can put these various stat combos together for quite a few players -- I've seen stat packages that make Ferry and Grant Hill unique. There was one last year for KC Rivers.

That's not to diminish Vasquez, who has had a great career.

Quote Originally Posted by HateCarolina View Post
    I've seen Vasquez up close and without question he is the most untalented players I've ever seen, on that same token he is one of the mentally toughest players I've ever seen and plays with a motor that never stops.

Hes just what happens when you give a hustle/energy guy the most touches on the team.

gotta give it up for greivis...i like him...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Vernerey needs to learn touch..she muscles up all of her shots, and they miss by a mile. Grrrrr.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    GV is a great talent who has had a great career. Love him or hate him there is no denying the guy has skills. His understanding of the game is outstanding and his court vision is way better than most players.

He put on a clinic in that last game with the holes creating shots for others while getting his own points as well. A polarizing guy for sure but the kid has serious game..

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    I've seen Vasquez up close and without question he is the most untalented players I've ever seen, on that same token he is one of the mentally toughest players I've ever seen and plays with a motor that never stops.

Hes just what happens when you give a hustle/energy guy the most touches on the team.
    Hustle and energy only get you so far (especially if you are a guard). To call him untalented is ridiculous.

I've seen Vasquez up close and without question he is the most untalented players I've ever seen
    Are you serious?! I can't believe you're forcing me to defend Vasquez. His game can look a little awkward, but you can't ignore his stats. There was a debate on sports radio in DC last week if he was in the top 5 all time at MD. While the general consensus was that he was just outside of that list, the fact that he was in the discussion says a lot. I am definitely not a fan of Vasquez, but I'm starting to begrudgingly respect his talent. Now I have to go take another shower. Thanks a lot!

You probably saw him in Cameron the last two years where he does't and didn't play well. He's good, if tempermental.

Eh, I'll grant him the points and assists are very impressive.

But I always have to laugh at Vasquez grabbing rebounds...he gets so many because his TEAM sucks at rebounding (see their domination by Zoubek).

Scheyer would for example, get a ton more rebounds if we didn't have Singler last year, making him comparable in that department (this year we'd have to lose Singler, Zoo, and the Plumlees).

Seriously, their top rebounder right now (with 8 a game) is Frosh Jordan Williams. No one besides him has more than 5.5 per game. Last year, Vazquez led the team at 5.5 per game.

If he was on duke, his rebounds would be cut in half.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

I think he's a really good player who seems to love this game and he truly plays it with passion. He does wear his emotions on his sleeve, and at times this just is so funny to me. I love it when he starts picking on the crowd; funny thing with GV, though, is that he BELIEVES it! It isn't just a joke to him, then.

He's got the mouth and he's also got the talent to back it up; I'm not sure if he'll be a great pro but I will miss him when he leaves. I'm glad he came back this year so I'd have the chance to watch him play again; looking forward to our game up in MD and they are going to be waiting for us.

I get the impression that GV loves our crowd at Cameron more than he does the MD crowd. ?

dth.

While I am among those who cheered "Cry, Greivis, Cry" this year and I have no love for Maryland due to growing up in the DC suburbs, I will also miss Greivis in Cameron next year. He is a talented player who feeds on the Crazies just as we feed on him. It's probably a negative relationship for Greivis overall, but we have fun with it in Cameron. There are few players who can galvanize the Crazies and other opposing fanbases and even feed upon them and make us louder, and ultimately I don't think anyone can replace him at that.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    I get the impression that GV loves our crowd at Cameron more than he does the MD crowd. ?

dth.
    I think that's fair to say. Remember him telling the Maryland crowd to "SHUT THE F*CK UP!" after the Maryland fans starting booing him?! He also said: "If they don't believe in us, they can get the hell out. We don't need them anyway. We need the people who will support us, who are with us. I know they are all happy now, but they didn't believe in us when we were down. Duke, North Carolina and Virginia Tech have student sections that support their teams regardless of the performance."

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNikeShox View Post
    I think that's fair to say. Remember him telling the Maryland crowd to "SHUT THE F*CK UP!" after the Maryland fans starting booing him?! He also said: "If they don't believe in us, they can get the hell out. We don't need them anyway. We need the people who will support us, who are with us. I know they are all happy now, but they didn't believe in us when we were down. Duke, North Carolina and Virginia Tech have student sections that support their teams regardless of the performance."
    That is pretty awesome actually...much better than just saying he stayed in his room playing x box and trying to stay in his apartment as much as possible when they were down.

Love Greivis Vasquez. This is impressive stuff by an impressive player. I'll be sad to see him leave. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching him the past four years.

The comment to the Maryland crowd is legendary. It is true, they are one of the most arrogant, classless and undeserving fan bases in the entire conference. I'd tell 'em to **** off, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris614 View Post
    That is pretty awesome actually...much better than just saying he stayed in his room playing x box and trying to stay in his apartment as much as possible when they were down.
    post of the week.

poor deon.

Vasquez’s personal career accomplishments are very impressive. His combined points plus assists plus rebounds will likely put him in the top fifteen ACC players of all time. While his high risk/reward play is not my favorite approach, I would certainly rank him among the top five Maryland players since the mid-60’s. His best attribute is his passing; particularly, during a fast break. IMO, he ranks among the best passers in ACC history (Hurley, Blake, Corchiani, Cota, Davis and Duhon) and would have even more impressive assist totals if he didn’t share the point guard position with Hayes (about 500 career assists) and had better casts of players around him during his career. If he continues at his current pace, he should exceed the rebounding totals of the best rebounding guard in ACC history, Bruce Dalrymple.

The players he most reminds me of are Bob Sura and Brad Davis. Both were high risk/reward players and Sura was certainly one of the best all around perimeter players in ACC history while Davis was a good all around player and an exceptional passer on the break.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty1911 View Post
    Are you serious?! I can't believe you're forcing me to defend Vasquez. His game can look a little awkward, but you can't ignore his stats. There was a debate on sports radio in DC last week if he was in the top 5 all time at MD. While the general consensus was that he was just outside of that list, the fact that he was in the discussion says a lot. I am definitely not a fan of Vasquez, but I'm starting to begrudgingly respect his talent. Now I have to go take another shower. Thanks a lot!
    Hes overrated. Hes the #1 option on a weak Maryland team, if they had anybody else worth a damn in the last 3 years he wouldn't be getting all of the touches he gets. Maryland from top to bottom is the least talented team in the ACC, they have 0 impact players, and their players' talent/potential is not respected by outsiders. They overachieve behind GV, thats about it. When will people realize that these Maryland teams arent anywhere near the Blake/Baxter/Dixon teams of years past even the Francis/Profit/Stokes team about 10 years ago.

When you're taking 15 shots or more each game of course your numbers can look good. Hes been overrated for his statline, like I said he plays as hard as any player you'll find and with a lot of passion and goes after almost everything but hes not a talented player from a basketball standpoint. He turns the ball over a lot and takes a lot of bad shots in his attempt to draw fouls.

He got to the Draft combine and stunk it up against real competition, and then went on to test as the worst athlete of the 2009 Draft prospects.