Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Surprise Team, Coach Of The Year, Newcomer Of The Year In The ACC

Surprise team of the year has to be Maryland

Coach of the Year, easily Gary Williams

Newcomer of the Year, probably Derrick Favors because I cannot think of anyone else

Player of the Year, Jon Scheyer, but Vazquez will be a close second.

You don't think Ol' Roy is in the running? Shocking...

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Surprise team of the year has to be Maryland

Coach of the Year, easily Gary Williams

Newcomer of the Year, probably Derrick Favors because I cannot think of anyone else

Player of the Year, Jon Scheyer, but Vazquez will be a close second.
    If Duke sweeps Maryland and UNC to finish 14-2 and a full 2 games ahead of their nearest challenger, I have a hard time seeing how Coach K shouldn't be Coach of the Year. But Gary will probably get it anyway, especially if they beat Duke this week and tie for first place.

Wish VTech had held on to win last night. That loss would have put some extra distance between us and the twerps.

Scheyer vs. Vasquez comes down to this Wednesday's game as well IMO.

Amazing that Duke could win the conference by 2+ games and not get POY, COY, or ROY honors. ROY we have no shot at, but we should get at least one of the other two if we win out.
    "There can BE only one."

I think the suprise team is UNC. Suprise doesn't have to mean good. UNC was ranked 6th to start the season, and now they will probably not even play in the NIT.

Coach of the year is Gary Williams, by far.

Freshman of the year is going to be Derrick Favors. But I think that Jordan Williams of Maryland deserves some consideration.

Player of the year is going to be either Scheyer or Vasquez. If Maryland beats Duke on wednesday and wins the ACC then Vasquez wins POY. If Duke wins out and wins the ACC, Scheyer wins POY. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post

Player of the year is going to be either Scheyer or Vasquez. If Maryland beats Duke on wednesday and wins the ACC then Vasquez wins POY. If Duke wins out and wins the ACC, Scheyer wins POY. Simple as that.

Hasn't it been determined that they would in fact be Co-Champions if this were to happen?
    Last edited by whirlieduke4; 02-28-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: quote bolding

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    If Duke sweeps Maryland and UNC to finish 14-2 and a full 2 games ahead of their nearest challenger, I have a hard time seeing how Coach K shouldn't be Coach of the Year.
    Nah, by rule Mike Krzyzewski can't win ACC Coach of the Year with fewer than 15 conference wins. No way he gets the award with a paltry 14.

I want Scheyer to win player of the year, but vasquez has made a serious push for the award lately, he had a ridiculous 41/7/6 game in a double OT win against v tech. It will probably come down to who wins at Maryland. If we can shut him down on wednesday, scheyer will probably get the nod.

awards

In 1998, Coach K led Duke to a 15-1 ACC record and rallied to beat UNC in the regular season finale to clinch the regular season title. UNC finished 14-2 in the league ...

Bill Guthridge, who inherited the top six players off Dean Smith's Final Four team in 1997, won coach of the year for finishing second in the ACC.

In 2001, Duke did his greatest coaching job, rebuilding his team after the late injury to Carlos Boozer. On the last day of the regular season, Duke went to UNC and blitzed UNC without Boozer to win a share of the regular season title with the Tar Heels at 13-2 ... Paul Hewitt won ACC coach of the year with an 8-8 ACC record.

In 1992, Duke was No. 1 every week of the season and won the ACC by three full games over second place FSU. FSU's Pat Kennedy won coach of the year.

I'm just saying, Duke look for K to win coach of the year, no matter what happens Wednesday in College Park. Gary's a lock for the award (and is not as bad a choice as Guthridge in '98, Hewitt in '01 or Kennedy in '92).

I agree that that Wednesday's game will determine player of the year ... but I think that not only does Duke need to win, but Scheyer needs to clearly outplay Vasquez.

Favors is the clearcut rookie of the year ... and that's not really by default. He's only been disappointing in comparison to the ridiculous preseason expectations. He's leading all ACC freshmen in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots. Jordan Williams has been solid, but Favors has been better in every phase of the game.

The easy one is Favors for ROY. He has not been as dominant as expected but he has been the best. Williams has been a surprise to everyone, even the Maryland folk.

Up till recently, it appeared that Bennett or Greenburg would get the nod. As of today, I suspect that Gary Williams is leading for COY. No one expected Maryland to do this well and, as usual, he has made chicken salad without the chicken. According to the Recruiting Services Consensus Index (RSCI), he only has two consensus top 100 players on this year's team - Vasquez(93) and Mosley(50). Several other ACC teams have more and higher rated players.

The Scheyer-Vasquez contest for POY is the most difficult to choose IMO. Both are very deserving youngsters who are having excellent years and are closing out very good four-year careers. Scheyer got off to an incredible start and had TV commentators wraping up national and ACC POY for him(even before he played a conference game). During the ACC games, he has not played nearly as well although he has kept up his scoring average. Vasquez, on the other hand, got off to a slow start and has come on strong the last 3/4 of the year, including ACC games. IMO, this is similar to the JWill-Dixon situation in 2002. JWill had a great year and had oodles of national pub while Dixon had a terrific year and a better ACC season. JWill got the NPOY while Dixon got the ACC POY. If I were voting, I would base it on their ACC seasons and, therefore, I would vote for Vasquez. If a voter considers the overall season and the team record, then it is Scheyer. Not a bad choice in either case.

gw67

10. I respect that Maryland has done well by coming in 1st/2nd in the ACC, but wasn't Maryland also ranked in the preseason?

OK I checked. Maryland was 26th in the preseason and rose to 21st in the second week before dropping out completely following a loss.

So, in a way, Gary basically has this team at preseason expectations -- just on the cusp of the top 25.

Is that a performance worthy of coach of the year?

I'm not saying it should be given to anyone else. Although, it's interesting to note that Duke was #9 in the preseason and now likely #4. Just sayin'.

Agree on Scheyer vs. Vasquez. Duke would have to hold Greivas to a bad night - something along the lines of 5-18, 15 points, 4 TO's, loss.

I think another factor to consider is that Jon was moved to point, something he ahs not played his whole career. So his degree of difficulty at least matched Vasquez's degree of difficulty playing with an average lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    I respect that Maryland has done well by coming in 1st/2nd in the ACC, but wasn't Maryland also ranked in the preseason?

OK I checked. Maryland was 26th in the preseason and rose to 21st in the second week before dropping out completely following a loss.

So, in a way, Gary basically has this team at preseason expectations -- just on the cusp of the top 25.

Is that a performance worthy of coach of the year?

I'm not saying it should be given to anyone else. Although, it's interesting to note that Duke was #9 in the preseason and now likely #4. Just sayin'.
    We're debating ACC COY not national COY. The Devils were chosen to finish 1st (tied with UNC - amazing!) while Maryland was chosen to finish 5th. Williams is not in the debate for national COY but I think that he is in the debate for ACC COY. I don't believe that anyone predicted that Maryland would win 11 games and finish as high as they will.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...102509aab.html

gw67

Surprise of the Year for me is easily UNC (though Va Tech is a close second, as they have done pretty well all things considered).

Coach of the Year is Seth Greenberg, considering how bare that roster is and how well they've done in the ACC. Had UVA not gone on a 7-game losing streak and ended up even as high as 8-8 in the conference, I'd give Tony Bennett the nod instead.

Player of the Year is Greivis. Jon is the best on the national level, but Greivis is just dominant in conference and with some of the best numbers, he (and also Delaney at VaTech) is hard to deny the conference POY. Even with Jon in the running for NPOY.

Look at Georgia Tech's roster

Look at UNC's roster

Look at Maryland's roster

Look at the standings

Then, tell me Maryland is doing about as well as expected.

Now that you mention it...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

When you look at their main page, instead of "Roster" it says "Student-Athletes." Maybe it's me, but aren't students supposed to graduate on a regular basis?

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-bask...skbl-body.html

Fortunately, once you click on the main page, we get back to reality and it says "Roster."

What a difference a year makes in the ACC. A year ago Gary was on the hot seat and ol' Roy could do no wrong.

jim,

I agree. A quick read of the RSCI shows that Duke (9), UNC (10), Georgia Tech (6), Wake (4), Virginia Tech (4), NC State (3) and Virginia (3) have more players who were rated in top 100 and a vast majority were ranked higher than Vasquez and Mosley. Miami, Clemson and Florida State also had two top 100 players but in each case these players were ranked higher than Vasquez and Mosley. Only BC had less players rated in top 100. No wonder the AD and fans were giving Williams trouble last year. This year he has three seniors and players who are good fits into his system. He has also coached very well.

gw67

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Look at Georgia Tech's roster

Look at UNC's roster

Look at the standings

Then, tell me Maryland is doing about as well as expected.
    So we're giving out trophies now simply for doing a better job than Roy and Hewitt?

With regards to Jon vs Greivis, I think it will be like last year:

If Duke wins the ACC with a margin (2-3 games above UMD), it will go to Jon, even though a) Greivis's numbers are more impressive and b) Greivis is more important to UMD than Jon is to Duke (that's nothing against Jon, but it just shows how valuable Greivis is so UMD).

Last year, Lawson got it despite Toney Douglas probably deserving it more. The difference - Lawson was on the best ACC team.

I can see the exact same thing panning out this time around.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

19. Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    We're debating ACC COY not national COY. The Devils were chosen to finish 1st (tied with UNC - amazing!) while Maryland was chosen to finish 5th. Williams is not in the debate for national COY but I think that he is in the debate for ACC COY. I don't believe that anyone predicted that Maryland would win 11 games and finish as high as they will.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...102509aab.html

gw67
    The post was written with ACC COY in mind, and the point still stands.

As of the second week of the season, ACC teams were ranked the following in the AP poll:
    - Duke #7
    - UNC #11
    - Clemson #19
    - Maryland #21
    - Florida State #27
    - Georgia Tech #28

Going with the above, Maryland was thought to be fourth best in the conference (and in the preseason the AP poll thought they were fifth best; either way, it's reflective of ACC preseason votes). Of course, with the exception of Duke, the entire conference turned out to be weaker than expected.

This isn't a case of Maryland exceeding expectations; it's a case of Maryland doing just what was expected in the preseason and other ACC teams falling short of expectations. Maryland comes out looking like roses but really...if you think about it, relative to the national picture, they are about where they're supposed to be.

So I reiterate...is this a performance worthy of ACC COY?

If so, I don't think "exceeding expectations" is a valid reason.
    Last edited by ice-9; 03-01-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    The post was written with ACC COY in mind, and the point still stands.

As of the second week of the season, ACC teams were ranked the following in the AP poll:
    - Duke #7
    - UNC #11
    - Clemson #19
    - Maryland #21
    - Florida State #27
    - Georgia Tech #28

Going with the above, Maryland was thought to be fourth best in the conference (and in the preseason they were fifth best; either way, this is reflective of ACC preseason votes). Of course, with the exception of Duke, the entire conference turned out to be weaker than expected, Maryland included.

This isn't a case of Maryland exceeding expectations; it's a case of Maryland doing just what was expected in the preseason and other ACC teams falling short of expectations.

So I reiterate...is this a performance worthy of ACC COY?

If so, I don't think "exceeding expectations" is a valid reason.
    Exceeding expectations is a valid reason.
    We are talking about ACC COY, not national COY.
    MD was picked pre-season 5 in the ACC. They currently sit 2 in the ACC with a chance for 1.
    I repeat, exceeding expectations is a valid reason for ACC COY.