Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will Duke be #1 in the rankings?

Kansas #1 loses today along with #2 Kentucky. Syracuse #4 plays #8 Villanova tonight. Purdue #3 plays Michigan State #14 tomorrow without their #2 scorer. Possible we could jump from #5 to #1, if we take care of business at UVA???

Quote Originally Posted by GODUKEGO View Post
    Kansas #1 loses today along with #2 Kentucky. Syracuse #4 plays #8 Villanova tonight. Purdue #3 plays Michigan State #14 tomorrow without their #2 scorer. Possible we could jump from #5 to #1, if we take care of business at UVA???
    No, not really. Why would Duke be ranked ahead of Kansas or Kentucky? Both have better records, and neither suffered a bad loss today.

Quote Originally Posted by GODUKEGO View Post
    We haven't won our game yet. I expect we will, but don't jump the gun.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We haven't won our game yet. I expect we will, but don't jump the gun.
    I will second that. Probably Kentucky and maybe Kansas were thinking about "after they win today." Dangerous thinking.

#1? Doubt it. It does close the gap at the top and will muddy the picture for the selection committee, which certainly helps our case for a #1 seed.

It is JUST POSSIBLE!!! Great that we can even have the conversation this late in the year!!

No. We aren't close to number one in the polls.

If we go undefeated for the rest of the regular season and win the ACC tournament then we'll be closer.

First we must beat Virginia.

I think the most likely scenario is that Syracuse wins and jumps to #1, and the top 5 will look like this:

1. Syracuse
    2. Purdue
    3. Kansas
    4. Kentucky
    5. Duke

Now, if Syracuse loses:
    1. Kansas (yes, I think they'll stay at #1)
    2. Purdue
    3. Kentucky
    4. Duke
    5. K-State

Of course, this is all assuming we beat the Cavs.

Purdue plays on sunday against a top 20 team.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    Without their all-around best player.

I agree that there is little prospect for us to be ranked #1. I also doubt that it matters. On the other hand, our chances for a 1 seed did increase some ( combo of losses today and Hummel's injury). However, we have to take care of business. I believe, at this point, if we win out, we are a #1 seed. However, the difference between the last #1 seed and the first #2 seed is neglible in actual practice.
    I think that the key point is that our fate is in our hands. There is no team this year which is unbeatable or even has a good lock on the National Championship -- we have about as good a shot as anybody, as shown today.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    Did not even realize this..it's Michigan State.

Could be a loss for Purdue, they barely got by Minnesota their last game.

If Purdue loses, I could easily see us moving up to #3.

And yes, of course the rankings don't really matter, but it's fun to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    However, the difference between the last #1 seed and the first #2 seed is neglible in actual practice.
    I agree with everything you've said but this. While the last 1 seed and the first 2 seed have the same Elite Eight match-up, I'd much rather see us play a 3 seed than a 4 seed in the Sweet Sixteen. The 1 seed is more likely to make it into the EE and is in better position when they get there from a playing in a (probably) less demanding game before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    I agree with everything you've said but this. While the last 1 seed and the first 2 seed have the same Elite Eight match-up, I'd much rather see us play a 3 seed than a 4 seed in the Sweet Sixteen. The 1 seed is more likely to make it into the EE and is in better position when they get there from a playing in a (probably) less demanding game before.
    Agreed. This could be the difference between playing a team like Georgetown in the Sweet 16 and a team like Butler, which is obviously huge.

Quote Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
    I think the most likely scenario is that Syracuse wins and jumps to #1, and the top 5 will look like this:

1. Syracuse
    2. Purdue
    3. Kansas
    4. Kentucky
    5. Duke

Now, if Syracuse loses:
    1. Kansas (yes, I think they'll stay at #1)
    2. Purdue
    3. Kentucky
    4. Duke
    5. K-State

Of course, this is all assuming we beat the Cavs.
    Why do you have Purdue ahead of Kansas in one scenario and behind them in the other, despite the fact that their relative positions shouldn't be affected by the outcome of the Syracuse/Nova game? Personally, I don't think there's any chance Purdue jumps Kansas. MAYBE Kentucky. And I also don't see Syracuse dropping from the Top 5 if they lose this very tough game.

Basically, the Top 3 spots are really, really tough to crack for a team not already ranked up there. I agree that there is no chance whatsoever of Duke being ranked #1 following today and tomorrow's games. The question is, is Nova out of the hunt for a #1 seed in the tournament yet? If not, I think it's pretty obvious that tonight's game is a must-win. As Duke fans, should we resign to Kansas, Kentucky, and Syracuse getting the first 3 #1 seeds and root hard for Cuse tonight so Nova stays out of the hunt for the 4th one? Or should we root for Nova tonight to weaken Cuse, and then just hope Cuse and Kentucky both blow it in their conference tournament? Is there any hope at all that we get a #1 seed without being the last one in?

I'd be happy enough with the 4th #1 seed so I think I'm rooting for Syracuse tonight.

No chance. Both teams have a better record than Duke and are considered by everyone that votes to be better than Duke. They were thought of as:

Kentucky and Kansas

Syracuse

Everyone esle (Duke, Purdue, etc)

They had a lot of room to fall before hitting us.

No chance we're #1 in the polls on Monday. Best case scenario is #3 if Syracuse loses tonight (unlikely, only a 25% chance according to Pomeroy) and Purdue loses tomorrow (more likely). Only Syracuse can jump over Kansas and Kentucky.

And in my opinion, the best part BY FAR of being a #1 seed in the tournament is not having to play Kansas or Kentucky until the Final Four (or not at all if someone gets lucky and knocks them off).

let's just take care of business at UVA....let those peeps that do the polls worry about that...

watching the holes get a win today bummed me out...the duke team has to stay focused...look at these other top teams that lost theirs today...

eyes on the prize...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    let's just take care of business at UVA....let those peeps that do the polls worry about that...

watching the holes get a win today bummed me out...the duke team has to stay focused...look at these other top teams that lost theirs today...

eyes on the prize...
    my thoughts exactly. we don't need to be talking about being number one or getting a number one seed until we win tomorrow night. then we can think about that.

even after that we still have to play AT md and home against unsuck