About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Earthquake in Chile - 8.8 - Hawaii under Tsunami Warnings

One of the ten most powerful earthquakes ever recorded hit off the Chilean coast early this morning. Luckily, Chile is used to pretty big quakes, and it's buildings are generally much more prepared for something like this than, say, Haiti's. Also, the quake was 22 miles underground (vs. 6 miles for the Port-au-Prince quake), which helped mitigate the intensity for most Chileans. Still, this is going to be bad, and the tsunamis generated by it may be bad as well. They're expecting waves in Hawaii in about 90 mins - 4:19 or so EST.

Here's the CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ex.html?hpt=T1
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Waves miss Hawaii, which I guess means that CNN can stop showing pictures of the ocean.

I have a very close friend in Chile, but she is ok as is all of her family.

I have been following this all day, and it seems like most of the damage is infrastructural (roads, pipes, etc). Some factories have experienced fires. There ARE building collapses, but not on any scale remotely close to Haiti. Last check 214 confirmed dead, but that number will rise as reports come in.

I haven't seen any footage from Concepcion, the big city closest to the quake.

Anyways, heres what Chile has working for it:

1. Low population density in the areas hardest hit by the quake. Santiago and Valparaiso where on the northern edge of teh quake.

2. Strong building codes. Chile has been hit with several earthquakes this century, including the largest ever recorded 9.5 in 1960.

3. Capable armed forces to assist with rescue and clean up.

I think what this earthquake will show, is that Haiti was as much a victim of poverty as of its natural disaster.

Anyways, my heart goes out to all the Chilean people.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-28-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: removed PPB material and fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Waves miss Hawaii, which I guess means that CNN can stop showing pictures of the ocean.
    ya my fiance lives right near wikiki and had to be evacuated from her tower. they were sandbagging everything up.

thankfully it was pretty much a false alarm. the surfers loved it though! they were getting some pretty descent waves

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Folks, I deleted several posts from this thread that had moved into a political discussion. That's not appropriate for this thread or these boards.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Folks, I deleted several posts from this thread that had moved into a political discussion. That's not appropriate for this thread or these boards.
    Fair enough, I understand its removal from this thread. Why wasn't it spun into a different topic though? Are there rules as to what can be posted in Off Topic?

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Fair enough, I understand its removal from this thread. Why wasn't it spun into a different topic though? Are there rules as to what can be posted in Off Topic?
    Public policy, generally speaking, is off limits. There used to be a board for such things that was about 50% insightful, thoughtful comments on political/economic issues (from some very knowledgeable posters) and about 50% bitter partisan sniping at one another. That split was (IMO) trending in the wrong direction. The board was shut down last year - summer, as I recall, but the months are really starting to run together.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke