Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Larry Drew Transferring?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Kick his azz, Greg!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is very interesting given the fact that there are 2 weeks left in the season.

I found this part the most surprising--

But our sources have also indicated that Drew is extremely unhappy in Chapel Hill and that his parents are involved with the program in "an unhealthy way" which certainly hasn't endeared him to Roy and which is what will likely facilitate him getting out of town.
    Larry Drew's father is a coach (asst on the Atlanta Hawks). As busy as he is with NBA games, I am surprised he has time to meddle in goings on in Chapel Hill. I am also surprised that a guy who coaches (and who has probably dealt with more than a few difficult parents in his time) would become one of those "difficult parents."

Then again, as a coach LD may see some of the horrid, messy coaching going on in Chapel Hill this year and may be talking to Roy to give him some advice.

I wonder if Roy's resposne was, "I've been offered 11 or 12 NBA jobs... how many have you been offered, Larry?"

Silence.

"Yeah, I thought so."

--Jason "the conversation about the struggles of Kendall Marshall just took on more urgency" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Would this really be a big loss for them? Drew has been disparaged here and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    This is very interesting given the fact that there are 2 weeks left in the season.
    Well, the article says "if" the decision were made today he'd transfer but makes clear it won't be made until after the season at the earliest. This may simply be a case of frustration talking. I'll be surprised (but I guess not shocked) if he transfers.

I hope this isn't true. I enjoy his on-court performance very much.

That depends

If the reports are true and he is unhappy with the coaching, then all parties are probably better off going their separate ways. I thought that he was a decent guard; from a pure talent/experience standpoint, this would be a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Would this really be a big loss for them? Drew has been disparaged here and elsewhere.
    I believe it would be an enormous loss. LDII has all of the tools needed to be a great PG in the ACC. He just finished his first year with significant time and managed pretty decent numbers with ZERO go-to scorers on the team. It is just a matter of pulling it all together IMO.

I do not believe Kendall Marshall has the foot speed/athleticism to be an elite ACC PG and he doesn't even have a pull up three to make up for it. His recruitment reminds me somewhat of Paulus'.

Additionally, UNC would have just one PG next season, a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Yes. It would put the ball in the hands of Kendall Marshall and continue to force them to play Dexter Strickland out of position. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if this was the only guy to leave.

absolutely ZERO about this on IC... >>>???

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, the article says "if" the decision were made today he'd transfer but makes clear it won't be made until after the season at the earliest. This may simply be a case of frustration talking. I'll be surprised (but I guess not shocked) if he transfers.
    Yea, I saw the "if" statement, but I just find it odd that there is talk about it now...where there is smoke, there is fire, so I think something must have been said by Drew for this to come out. Of course, I'm up here in good ol' PA and have not a clue...

Thinks must be worse than we all thought in Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    absolutely ZERO about this on IC... >>>???
    guess it was not really big news to the holes....it's hidden inside the Drew II versus Kendall Marshall thread...

kinda low-key...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This may simply be a case of frustration talking. I'll be surprised (but I guess not shocked) if he transfers.
    This was my thought, too. Chapel Hill is like playing in prison, after all...

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Yes. It would put the ball in the hands of Kendall Marshall and continue to force them to play Dexter Strickland out of position. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if this was the only guy to leave.
    I totally agree with this. Marshall could be a very good PG, but he will be all on his own unless Strickland continues to play out of position. Strickland has looked like he can be very explosive at times and could be extremely dangerous as a shooting guard next year. I would love to see them have to continue to mess with him.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Then again, as a coach LD may see some of the horrid, messy coaching going on in Chapel Hill this year and may be talking to Roy to give him some advice.
    Probably told him to call a time out for once in his life.
    Last edited by blazindw; 02-26-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: inappropriate language

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I believe it would be an enormous loss. LDII has all of the tools needed to be a great PG in the ACC. He just finished his first year with significant time and managed pretty decent numbers with ZERO go-to scorers on the team. It is just a matter of pulling it all together IMO.

I do not believe Kendall Marshall has the foot speed/athleticism to be an elite ACC PG and he doesn't even have a pull up three to make up for it. His recruitment reminds me somewhat of Paulus'.

Additionally, UNC would have just one PG next season, a freshman.
    I agree it would be a huge hit to UNC. And if Ed Davis is wavering at all in whether to go pro, then one would have to think this would seal it.

All of the pressure would be on Zeller, Henson and Barnes working with a lesser supporting cast around them to bring back Tar Heel glory, and that will be a tall task.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I just don't see LD 2 as being a "great PG in the ACC". He's a sophomore who saw some time last year and has started every game this year. His numbers include:

8.8 pts/game
    1.8 asst/turnover
    65% FT
    less than 1 steal per game

Opposing players tend to score very well against him. He seems to have some quickness and speed, but opposing teams play him for the pass when he drives as he does not get to the rim very well.

Perhaps he would be better with some other talent around him, but at this point he looks like an ordinary point guard on a second-division ACC team...not a guy who will take them to any title, even with more talent.

Not surprising to hear of some turmoil in the locker room.

If Drew II leaves and Davis goes pro then UNC will lose 4 starters for the 2nd year in a row. Losing 4 starters off of a bad team... their freshmen better be ready to play from game 1 or it could be another long season in Chapel Hill.

I don't think Drew II will be a "great PG" but losing him would definitely be a significant loss.

Hmm

DO NCAA rules allow a player to transfer before his Frosh year? Barnes must be thinking what a mnistake he's made...